Inconsistent password generator user experience

Jeff Kingston
Jeff Kingston
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

I am finding the password generator a bit frustrating when using the words option.
1. The capitalization option only appears in the Chrome extension. Why are these not in either the Safari extension OR the 1Password product itself?
2. The words options are even more limited if you edit via the webpage.
3. Every site I have been updating my password for has required symbols AND numbers. Would it be possible to allow for this?

Overall this is a very inconsistent and frustrating user experience. Is there a plan to get these all aligned?

Chrome Options

Safari Options

Mac App Options

Web Options

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: OS X 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi Jeff,

You're right, it would be great to get all these password generators aligned with a similar design. It's something we have planned and are working our ways in that direction.

Regarding websites that require a number and a symbol, as you found there is no way to do that by default with the word list generator. For sites where you don't need to memorize the password or speak it, I suggest using the random password instead. It's ideal for most situations.

++dave;

• Jeff Kingston
    Jeff Kingston
    Community Member

The issue I have with the random generator is so many site have rules about WHICH symbols can be used. Most of the time the random generator uses something that isn't allowed.

• Hi Jeff,

It'd be great if there was a standard for password rules that sites could implement, but there is not right now, so it makes the task a little more difficult. It is certainly something we can look into though.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• jdpsy
    jdpsy
    Community Member

Would it be possible to inculde an option to the password generator to copy and paste the allowed symbols from the website I want to create a password for?
    For example an extra line in the password generator in which I can put the allowed symbols.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@jdpsy that is an interesting suggestion, but what I find is that a lot of websites don't list allowed symbols anymore. I have found that a lot of websites state something along the lines of "8-20 letters, 1 symbol, 2 numbers". That would be a bit hard to list out all the allowed characters unless you have something like a regular expression.

I think Apple is onto something with iOS 12, macOS 10.14, and Safari 12. They have an attribute for <input type="password"> fields where you can specify "password rules" like this: <input type="password" passwordrules="required: lower; required: upper; required: digit; required: [-]; minlength: 20;">. The 1Password X team is already looking into supporting it, so let's hope it takes off :smile:. Here is the dev page if you are interested: https://developer.apple.com/password-rules/.

• jdpsy
    jdpsy
    Community Member

@JadC Thanks for your answer.
    Maybe German websites (I live in Germany) are a bit different, because most of the time I see a list allowed symbols for the passwords.

But attribute for "password rules" sounds interesting and would be the easiest thing for the user, if most of the websites will implement this attribute.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@jdpsy that is an interesting observation and thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully the standard does take off as it would make everyone's lives easier :smile:.

• Jeff Kingston
    Jeff Kingston
    Community Member

I was sad to see 1 Password X for Chrome too the worst of the options for words based password generation. It has no options so I have to edit every password manually. It defaults to SPACES as the delimiter. I have yet to come across a site that allows spaces in a password. Has anyone else?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Jeff Kingston: off the top of my head, I do not remember finding a website that did not allow a space character in the password. I suppose that there could be some that do not allow it as a symbol, but in my experience they are luckily not the majority.

Thank you also for taking the time to share your feedback about the password generator! In 1Password X, the password generator is configured to work with the majority of websites without having to tweak anything, but unfortunately not every website is build the same, so some of them will require some tuning. We are looking at ways to improve the overall password generation experience in general though, so thank you again for sharing your thoughts :)

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member

Here's the PR for adding to the HTML spec. https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3518

It would be great if 1Password (working alongside other password-generator vendors: Chromium, WebKit, LastPass, Dashlane) committed to adding support.

• I share the concerns expressed by the Chrome team, here: https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3518#issuecomment-419470439
    But it is great that the time was taken to put this together. I'll mention it to our team. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.