Is there a global password history feature?

Options
Tonetony
Tonetony
Community Member

Is there a way to find passwords that were generated but never saved to any Login item?

While the usual need for password history is that a new password was generated and saved in the password manager but was rejected or not saved for some reason on the web site, I have observed in my former password manager that sometimes the reverse happens - a password gets generated, and saved on a web site, but then for some reason it didn't get saved to the Login item. So password history for that login item wouldn't help.

The feature that has saved me in such cases is a global password history that shows all the passwords that have been generated, and whether or not they were saved with a login. If saved, the name of the login it was saved to. If not saved, the name is blank. Status would be "generated and saved" or "generated only."item it was saved to. So it's always been possible to capture the missing password and add it manually to the item where it belonged.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, with 1Password 7 for Mac or Windows you can always recover a generated password you filled/copied even if it wasn't saved to a Login item! The how is different whether you're using 1Password Mini + the 1Password extension or 1Password X.

1Password Mini: Anytime you copy/fill a generated password from the + Generate Password button, it's saved as a new Password item in your vault. Search your vault for the website URL or go to the Passwords section to find it.

1Password X: When you Copy or Autofill a generated password from the + > Generate Password tab, it's saved to your Generator History. Find it, sorted by time and labelled by the website you were on, in the + menu > Generate Password tab > Generator History button.

Let me know if I can help you more anytime. :)

Cheers,
    Henry

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! I need to play with this at some new and existing sites to see how it works in practice.

What I was really asking about is making sure generated passwords for Login items aren't lost when updating an existing Login item, though the question might also apply when creating a new Login or adding an additional Login for a site. (I don't expect a temporary Password item would be created in that case.) Perhaps the way you've implemented it, it could never happen that a site might accept a new password before 1Password has saved the password to the new or existing Login item.

I haven't gone through the process yet to see it in action in all these cases, because I haven't needed to yet - I very recently successfully imported nearly 300 from my old password manager.

For +Generate Password, you refer to "copy/fill," but I haven't seen "Save and Fill" - I've only seen "Save and Copy." Is Fill offered when a password field is detected?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tonetony:

Every time you use the 1Password password generator, that password is stored somewhere. This happens for new Login items and existing Login items, if that's what you are worried about.

For +Generate Password, you refer to "copy/fill," but I haven't seen "Save and Fill" - I've only seen "Save and Copy." Is Fill offered when a password field is detected?

Yes. You need to be on a page where there is a login form, or else 1Password cannot fill anything on the page, and therefore will offer you the Save and Copy option.

This discussion has been closed.