many times, autofill hot key doesn't work

steve28
steve28
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I'm using the latest beta, but this has been an issue for me for...I dunno, months and months?

A couple of times a week, I will go to a web site's login page... I hit command-\, and .... nothing happens. At that point sometimes clicking the browser extension icon will pop up the mini window... sometimes nothing happens there either. Sometimes launching the 1P app will get things working, sometimes not.

At that point I have start 5-10 min of "1password debugging" where I restart the browser, restart 1p, sometimes restart my machine, etc. to get it working.

This happens in Safari and Chrome (the two browsers I use). It also happens on my Mac Mini at home (running the latest Catalina beta and latest 1p beta) as well as my work MacBook Pro, where I run latest official releases of everything.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@steve28: Thanks for getting in touch, and letting us know that you're having the same problem in Safari and Chrome. That may help narrow down the cause. However, it would also be helpful to know the versions of those browsers that you're using, as well as the other information you omitted from your post: the exact OS, 1Password, and extension versions, and how you're syncing your data. Do you have the same setup on all your Macs, and are they all having the same problem? And, to clarify, does restarting the browser get it working again, or not? Thanks in advance!

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member

Hi @brenty. As I mentioned, this has been happening for a long while on multiple computers (MacBook and Mini) through multiple OS updates, multiple browser updates (ie, Crome is always kept 'current'), multiple 1P updates, etc. - and I kept thinking the next update would solve it.... but right now I am using:

1P: 7.3.3-BETA 0
    MacOS: 10.14.6 (MAcBook), MacOS 10.15 public beta (Mac Mini) - latest pub beta - sorry don't know version right now
    Chrome Extension: 4.7.5.90
    Should add that it happen in actual Chrome as well as Brave (Chromium based)
    Safari Extension: Whatever comes with the above beta - doesn't seem to have a version separate from the 1P app
    I have 1P for Families.

I cannot reproduce it on demand, but it happens at least once a week. It's almost like the 1P stops hearing the hot key or even sometimes the mini app quits? I should say, I have also had it happen even when I had the 1P app open and unlocked - browser fill didn't work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@steve28: Thanks! You're correct: the Safari App Extension is built into 1Password. However, it's good to check it because a) it needs to show up in Preferences > Extensions, b) it needs to be enabled, and c) it should show as the same version as the 1Password app you're running. If any of those are not the case, you're gonna have a bad time; and all of that is handled by Safari.

But reading your most recent comments and re-reading your original post with that in mind, I think I misunderstood the extent of the problem you're having. If we're talking about once or twice a week, that sounds like a known issue where Safari is disconnecting when idle. It's something we're trying to work around by being more aggressive about trying to reconnect in the beta, so please let me know if you see improvement with that as it progresses.

Regarding Brave, that will be a slightly separate issue (though perhaps related, as it may be disconnecting as well). As a starting point, make sure you complete any updates there, get on the 1Password beta on any Macs where you've had trouble in the browser, restart, and let me know how it goes.

You mentioned that you restart things to try to get it working, but it isn't clear to me if that always helps. Please let me know. I suspect that just restarting the browser and/or 1Password (⌘ ⌃ ⌥ Q) will help, but while that's not what we want it's good to get confirmation one way or the other, since that could point to the cause. But, next time it happens, before you do any "1password debugging", generate a diagnostics report:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#FVS-77858-249]

If you’re reading this and you are not steve28, this Support ID is for steve28 only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: FVS-77858-249

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty - will do!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good. We're here if you need us. :) :+1:

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member