2FA Available Banner shown when 1Password unable to provide

Options
theoriginalbit
theoriginalbit
Community Member

EA (https://www.ea.com) accounts only support Google Authenticator as an Authenticator app. 1Password is unable to scan the QR code.

1Password shows the banner indicating it's available, and the help article that is linked specifically states to download Google Authenticator.
https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/account/origin-login-verification-information/

1Password Version: 7.3.2 (70302003)
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: my.1password.com

Comments

• theoriginalbit
    theoriginalbit
    Community Member
    Options

I have also identified that eBay is the same. The "Two-Factor Authentication Available" banner is shown, but eBay only supports SMS or approval from the eBay App.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @theoriginalbit,

For sites that support variants of 2FA that 1Password doesn't you can tell 1Password to ignore this specific item by adding a 2FA tag to the item. So if you set up eBay's 2FA authentication via their app the 2FA tag will ensure 1Password doesn't nag you about eBay.

I am surprised to hear you're having trouble with EA though as RFC 6238 is what 1Password supports, the same as Google Authenticator. In fact we often refer to Google Authenticator when talking about 1Password given they support the same standard. To test I disabled 2FA on my test EA account and re-enabled it.

The only trouble I had was misreading the first stage and trying to scan the QR code for the iTunes app store as the QR code for the 2FA. Once I realised my mistake and proceeded to the next stage via one of the available buttons the QR code for 2FA scanned without issue in 1Password and generated valid codes. Is it possible you've made the same initial mistake as I did and you're trying to scan a non-2FA QR code?

• theoriginalbit
    theoriginalbit
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables,

Thanks for the tip about the 2FA tag, I think I'll leave it be for now, I'd rather have the reminder to occasionally check if they've improved their service than silence the warning.

That could be possible, its very much a workflow that's commonly "there's a QA code, cool I'll scan that then" without actually reading anything... I'll give the EA account another try making sure that I'm scanning the correct QR code and report back.

• theoriginalbit
    theoriginalbit
    Community Member
    Options

Ok yes, you were correct @littlebobbytables I was scanning the DL QR code and not the 2FA QR code 🤦🏻‍♂️ thanks for your help

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of littlebobbytables, you are welcome @theoriginalbit!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.