1Password on iPad reverting to old master password

BusterBill
BusterBill
Community Member

Hi, I have a 1Password subscription used across several iOS devices, one Windows laptop and two Macs.

I purchased a new iPad and used a backup of an older iPad mini to restore accounts etc to the new iPad. This included the 1Password app.
If the biometrics of the new iPad don't work for some reason, I have to use the master password to unlock the app, however the master password I have to use to unlock the app on the new iPad is several generations in the past of the current master password. Changing the master password elsewhere does not seem to propagate to the new iPad. Vaults etc appear to be syncing normally however.

What could be wrong and how do I correct it?

Many thanks.

1Password Version: 7.3.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BusterBill! Welcome to the forum!

Are you by chance using multiple sync methods? For example, by having vaults on both iCloud and vaults on 1Password.com?

I wonder if this 1Password app on the new iPad also has a Primary vault, and instead of changing the Master Password to this vault, you changed the Master Password for a 1Password account instead. Using multiple sync methods like this could be confusing, so I wonder if that's why you are seeing this behavior on this new device.

• BusterBill
    BusterBill
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana
    Many thanks for your reply.
    I believe I would have changed the password on 1Password.com, though I can’t be 100% certain.
    Also yes, the iPad app had a primary vault. After I posted my query, I spent more time searching the forums and found a post from someone who had a similar issue to mine, who also had a primary vault on the app. The solution there was to delete the primary vault on the app so (after moving the passwords to another vault) I also did this, which has fixed the problem, for now. I will try changing the master password again in the near future and see if it populates to all devices.
    I’m still trying to get my head around vaults and syncing, I find it somewhat confusing. Loving the app and service though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BusterBill: Thanks for confirming. Indeed, the Master Password for a 1Password membership account will have no bearing on the Master Password you set for a local (Primary) vault on a specific device. Local vaults are completely separate from 1Password accounts, and the 1Password app will unlock using the Master Password for the first vault/account you have setup there. So it sounds you're on the right track now, having deleted the old vault. While it can definitely be confusing with things setup differently in various places, if you are using only your 1Password account on all your devices going forward, they will all have the same data and you won't have to do anything else to maintain that. But if you need help with anything at all, just let us know. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.