how to import-read older version of file with 1password extension?

tor_M6
tor_M6
Community Member

I need content of my older password entries, around Sep 2016 (not sure which version I used). I use dropbox sync and found that in legacyagilekeychain/data/default there are a lot of files with growing date and hash-like names with extension 1password.
I hope that this is a set of data related to my records. the only problem that I do not understand how to read it (while I know master password).
attempt to import them from the import menu fail (open box show all these files as gray).
what should I do?
in theory, I can apply also to dropbox history of modification of file with keychain...

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mojave 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• tor_M6
    tor_M6
    Community Member

may be there are some other ways to resurrect old vault (around 2016) from archives like Dropbox history?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @tor_M6! If you've got a file labeled legacyagilekeychain, then that means you've likely upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac at some point, because version 7 does not work with Agile Keychain sync files, so it converts them to a format it can use, and renames older .agilekeychain files to .legacyagilekeychain.

Did you upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac at some point in the past? And do you believe those old .legacyagilekeychains might contain the data you need? If so, I can tell you how to re-import that older data if necessary...but there may be a better way, which is using the specific backup files, if you have backups that go back that far. Do you? If you open 1Password > Preferences > Backups, are there backups listed there from the time-frame you have in mind? Let me know.

• tor_M6
    tor_M6
    Community Member

yes, I try to update, and then revert back and use older version 6 right now
    and I think that these data, as I mentioned, contained here (at least, some dates on files suggest this idea)
    no, backups show only this year data, not in the past
    backup search also does not give good results
    so...need to re-import particular files from legacyagilekeychain, probably

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tor_M6: I'm sorry for the delay getting back to you. It isn't possible to extract only specific items from a 1Password vault to import. You'd need to open the whole vault and then copy the items you need over. At this point, before we go down this path any further, it might be helpful to understand exactly what you're trying to accomplish, as there may be a better solution than what you're proposing. In order to event data from years ago, you would need to actually have a copy of it from that time. While it should be feasible if you do, I'd rather we start with the problem you're trying to solve and work from there, to avoid going on a wild goose chase if there're other options.

In order to get a better sense of what you have to work with, please generate a diagnostic report on the device where you've been using 1Password these past few years:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#CML-58133-786]

If you’re reading this and you are not tor_M6, this Support ID is for tor_M6 only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Any other background information you can include will be helpful too. What prompted this? Do you have Time Machine or other backups from around that time? Then we can use that information to suggest next steps. Thanks in advance!

ref: CML-58133-786

This discussion has been closed.