Drop down account selection hard to use if you have many similar accounts

Hi!

I use gmail for personal and corporate logins so the list of possible account logins is long.
The new popup is not wide enough to see the whole email address. And it's not resizable.
It's not searchable to filter out results.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.8 (688001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 1.15.7
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: account

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @clearbrian,

The extension version you supplied indicates you're running our 1Password X extension which allows us to determine you must be a 1Password account subscriber - 1Password X only works with 1Password accounts. That means you're entitled to run the latest version of 1Password for Mac and we're currently at 7.3.2. You can move to 1Password 7 with the following steps.

1. If 1Password is currently running hold down the alt/option key and click on the 1Password icon in the macOS menu bar at the top of the screen. Select the menu option Quit 1Password Completely.
    2. Drag the 1Password 6 application bundle from the /Applications/ folder to the Trash.
    3. Download 1Password 7 either via the App Store or from our "Downloads - 1Password" page.
    4. Launch 1Password 7 and it will migrate your data over.

None of that helps directly with the issue you wrote in about but it's best to stay current and as a 1Password account you're very much entitled to be running 1Password 7.

Now to the issue at hand. The 1Password X inline menu should be showing you both the title of the Login item and directly below the title the username. It will display up to 23 characters of the title and 29 from the username field. As the email address is the username for Google accounts is it the case that the email addresses are not just longer than this but that many share the first 29 characters in common? My understanding is resizing the inline menu is a lot tougher a task than it may initially appear, especially given the need to keep everything small and responsive. That leaves us with manually getting the balance right for the space used compared to the page and everything on it. I don't know if we've got the balance right yet or not.

You can filter the inline menu though, if you start typing into the field on the page you should find the inline menu will dynamically filter the list based on the field. If the current width just doesn't work for you does being able to filter the inline menu help a little?

• RobTX
    RobTX
    Community Member

This is a BIG problem for me too, guys. I keep hoping in one of these updates the display will be widened. This creates big headaches for me where I have standard titles and differentiators at the end of the string.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RobTX,

While it is possible that some future change will help you my focus is more on what might help you right now given the current design of 1Password X. I am curious to better understand why the displayed username is not helpful in these situations as from my own personal experiences I find that disambiguates any instances where I have two or more items for the same site. I'm sure you will agree it's much easier to advocate a position if you understand and appreciate the point of view. Ultimately though for now the possibility of reordering the words/tokens in the title is probably the best way to gain the most out of 1Password X if two or more currently contain identical 23 characters at the start of their titles. In the image you kindly supplied for example even though part of the one title is clipped given all the others display in full I would have thought between the visible portion and the username that identifying the desired item would be easy. Again, it may be a case of us needing to better learn why this fails some people.

• RobTX
    RobTX
    Community Member

It is just not enough characters. It should be an option to enable it to be wider. Forcing users to fit the design of an application is not the best answer for customers. Usernames don't help when you have similar systems and use the same login name. I do a lot of testing and have many accounts that might start with something like "WordPress - " + Descriptor. Thanks for the consideration.

• Thanks for explaining your use case, @RobTX; we'll take things into consideration as we develop the future of 1Password (X). 🙂

This discussion has been closed.