Search is inconsistent between Windows and macOS applications

Options
kendalllister
kendalllister
Community Member

Hi team!

I share a vault between macOS, iOS and Windows and when I search for certain strings I get the login items I want in the Windows application but not in the macOS or iOS clients. As far as I can tell, this is due to the Windows client including URLs in its search and the macOS and iOS clients not including URLs. This inconsistency is confusing - it would be great if the behaviour was the same in all applications.

Further, selecting the "Search all fields" button in the macOS application after searching still doesn't return the items that have the search string in a URL field - is that intended?

Hopefully these screenshots illustrate the issue I'm having: searching for "microsoft" on finds my login.live.com items on Windows due to having "microsoft" in the URL, but not on macOS and iOS. Searching for "live" on those platforms shows that the items are there.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @kendalllister

You can opt to have 1Password for Mac search all fields by clicking on the magnifying glass in the search field:

With that option selected 1Password for Mac did search website fields for me. I added kendalllister to a website field on an item to test:

Does that help? Please let me know.

Ben

• kendalllister
    kendalllister
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, thanks for responding. Unfortunately that option doesn't help, as 1Password 7 for macOS only seems to search the host portion of URLs, not the arguments.

I created a login item to test this and these were the results:

When the URL is http://elephant.com/giraffe, searching "All fields" for "elephant" finds the item but searching for "giraffe" does not. By comparison, 1Password 7 for Windows does appear to include the whole of the URL when searching:

• Ben
    Options

I was able to confirm your findings: it appears we only search based on the domain in 1Password for Mac. I will make the suggestion to the development team that we standardize. Thanks!

Ben

ref: apple-3371

• kendalllister
    kendalllister
    Community Member
    Options

That would certainly help reduce confusion. The iOS search function seems to only consider domains too:

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for letting us know. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.