How to tell what Category an Item is in when found in Search?

Options
Tonetony
Tonetony
Community Member

When I find something in Search, it could be a Login, a Password, a Membership - or anything else. By looking at the fields, one can often make a guess what Item type it is.

The default icon might help, though icons can be changed, and for instance I changed the icons on each of my credit cards to make them easier to distinguish visually.

If I sort the search results by Category - then it's obvious what kinds of Items I found. But I think that's the only search sort that can help. It's true that once I find something in search, even if I originally sorted by Title, if I'm not sure what I found, I can switch the search to "sorted by Category." (Awkward.)

Another not so great idea is for us to name each of our items with the (Category) next to it. "Bank Name (Login)", "Gym Name (Membership)" but here I'm just making work for myself to implement something I'd rather see automated in the app if it could be and hasn't been yet.

Maybe the Category name is already present and I'm missing it, but otherwise somewhere at the top, perhaps to the right of or under the Vault name, or directly below the icon, it might be helpful for the category to be named in text (Login, Secure Note, Credit Card, Identity... etc.).

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tonetony: An item's category is represented by the icon and where it is listed in 1Password (e.g. Membership items can always be found under "Memberships" in the sidebar). Can you tell me what you're trying to accomplish exactly? I haven't seen similar requests, and it's something we can consider, but it would be helpful to know why you are trying to find out the category of an item you created in the first place, as that may lead to a solution that helps others as well. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Another similar thread.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MrC: Aha! Thank you! :) :+1:

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

Good memory, @MrC.

Yes, the other thread is making the same request.

I'm glad that you've entered internal issue #3069 for this. Do you add links in your issue tracker back to the discussion threads?

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2019
    Options

Yes we do @Tonetony ;)

ref: apple-3069

This discussion has been closed.