onepassword7 URLs don’t unlock 1Password

Options
Skurfer
Skurfer
Community Member

In the past, if 1Password was locked and you opened a onepassword7:// URL, the mini window would appear and prompt you to unlock it.

Now, these URLs appear to be queued up somewhere because nothing happens initially, but if you unlock 1Password at some point in the future, it will immediately start opening all the URLs you requested previously.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Skurfer!

Can you please let us know what browser this is happening with?

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

My default browser is Browser Fairy, but 1Password never gets to the point where it’s trying to open the site, so I don’t think that matters.

The onepassword7:// URLs are being generated and opened by Quicksilver, it that matters.

• Ben
    Options

I think that is likely exactly it, @Skurfer. Can you please try setting your default browser to a web browser and see if this works as expected in that case?

Ben

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member
    Options

I tried changing the default to Safari, but it made no difference. I’m pretty sure the process goes like this:

1. Something asks the system to open a onepassword7:// URL
    2. The system looks up that URL scheme and finds that 1Password is responsible for it
    3. The system tells 1Password to open the URL
    4. If 1Password is locked, the mini window appears and asks to be unlocked
    5. 1Password figures out which item is associated with the URL
    6. 1Password opens that URL in the default browser
    7. 1Password fills in the form

The failure is at step 4, which has nothing to do with the browser. Like I said, if I manually unlock 1Password at some later time, it successfully proceeds with steps 5–7.

(OK, in reality, step 7 always fails because I’m using Browser Fairy. Maybe that’s what you were getting at with the browser questions? That’s expected, not new, and a trade off I’ve decided is well worth it. I can just hit ⌘\ once the page loads.)

• Ben
    Options

I see; thanks @Skurfer. I don't have Quicksilver handy... Are you able to see at a glance how it is formulating these URLs? If so could you share and example, and/or the template it appears to follow? I'd like to try to reproduce this issue here, but I don't have any documentation on how QuickSilver is creating these links.

Ben

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @Ben. The documentation for how the URLs are created is at https://support.1password.com/integration-mac/#open-a-1password-metadata-file

The code is pretty straightforward. I’m sure Quicksilver and macOS are doing the right thing since it was working for months, and the URL does eventually open (once 1Password is unlocked).

You could test this by locking 1Password, creating such a URL specific to one of your items, and running open onepassword7://open_and_fill/profileUUID/UUID/sha256_of_url in Terminal.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @Skurfer. I believe I was able to reproduce the problem you're reporting. I'm going to ask our QA team to take a closer look.

Ben

ref: apple-4143

This discussion has been closed.