Why is 1Password Chrome Extension driving me bonkers?

Options
Bret Linford
Bret Linford
Community Member
edited August 2019 in Mac

Hi, all.

Chrome 76.0.3809.100 latest 1P extension and app versions. 2 issues:

• While in Chrome and going to gmail for instance, the ext knows I'm at gmail but when i arrow down to my login info in 1P by hitting enter or return, 1P comes back up and shows all items and does not fill my login info.
  • Often when I copy a password from the ext by hitting the copy button, the ext only copies a portion of the password - not the whole thing.

I depend heavily on this to work and it's useless know. Any help much appreciated. Thanks! 😃

_1Password Version:7.3.2
_OS Version:MacOS 10.14.4
_Sync Type:?

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Bret Linford

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. Could you please let me know if the extension you have installed in Chrome is 1Password X or 1Password extension (desktop app required)?

Thanks.

Ben

• Bret Linford
    Bret Linford
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, Ben. Desktop required. Thanks! :)

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @Bret Linford. Could you walk me through the process you're using when trying to log in to your Gmail account, step by step, please? I haven't seen any sort of behavior like what you're describing myself. I also don't recall seeing any similar reports. So I'm wondering if perhaps you're doing something differently than I would be.

As for the issue with copying passwords... I can't say I've seen that either. If you edit the item does the password field have the full correct password? If you copy the password and paste it into the Notes app, for example, is the entire password pasted, or is it truncated?

Thanks.

Ben

• Bret Linford
    Bret Linford
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Ben. Things seem to be working now for whatever reason. Aren't computers grand?! :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great to hear @Bret Linford! :)

If you have any other questions, or should this happen again, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    Options

Just adding that this is happening to me as well with Chrome.

Chrome 76.0.3809.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004) 1Password Store
    Chrome extension: 1Password extension (desktop app required) 4.7.5.90

How I normally use 1P is:

• Navigate to a site with a login form.
    • Press the shortcut CMD + \
    • The 1P extension window pops up and shows me all the matching logins (typically I have multiple logins for a site, otherwise it would just auto fill)
    • The extension has the first login in the highlighted
    • Normally I just press "enter" or "return" and 1P would fill the form, however, lately when I press "enter" the 1P extension window will quickly refresh to show all items and nothing gets filled in the form.
    • I can do this a random amount of times and sometimes it works as before, other times it doesn't.
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@netnothing - that is indeed one way of successfully filling your Login item into the appropriate page in your browser. I just tested it here, and it's (still) working correctly for me. So I'm wondering a couple of things: first, did anything change on your system around the time you started noticing this behavior-change? Any new extensions installed into Chrome? Any updates to either your OS, Chrome or anything else that might interact with it? Next: does this happen on all sites currently, or do you notice a pattern (sites with 2FA enabled, sites with multi-page logins, etc)? Finally, have you restarted your Mac since you began noticing this behavior? If not, you might want to begin with a fresh system state, just for ease/cleanliness of troubleshooting. Let me know what you discover.

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars

It is very unpredictable as the problem doesn’t always happen. I can be visiting a site such as a medical login where I have credentials for both my wife and myself and it may work perfectly one day and the next day have issues. I may be going to a client hosting login where I have to choose from many saved logins and again sometimes it will work perfectly other times it will experience the odd behavior.

Typically my machine and software is always up-to-date. I have restarted my machine as I just installed the supplemental update the other day. Chrome is always up-to-date as well as the 1Password extension and main application. No new extensions that have been installed and no changes to the machine since the behavior started.

At the end of the day I guess I’m at least glad that the original poster was seeing the problem as it’s not just my machine. Hopefully it will resolve on its own at some point.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional details! I'm glad to hear that it isn't a constant source of trouble for you. We'll continue to investigate to see if we can reproduce it and discover the cause though.

• chrfe
    chrfe
    Community Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Since a couple of days I notice the same problem as @netnothing.
    This only happens if more than 1 login exists for a specific site.

Sometimes the login and autofill works as expected and sometimes not.

Setup:
    Chrome: Version 76.0.3809.132 (Offizieller Build) (64-Bit)
    1Password: Version 7.3.2
    1Password Chrome Extension: 4.7.5.90
    macOS: 10.14.6

I have recorded a video which I can make available as needed. However, I don't want to post it publicly.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chrfe!

Please feel free to send the video to support+forum@agilebits.com if you want us to look at it in private :)

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

• chrfe
    chrfe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana!

Done. Ticket [#YUF-11131-876]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you @chrfe! I confirm that we have received your message, we will take a look and get back to you via email as soon as possible :)

ref: YUF-11131-876

• rbaugh
    rbaugh
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue for a while now and just came across this after putting in a support ticket as well. Has there been any progress on this? I even turned off the show 1pass in menu bar as I thought it was having issues with it.

I have noticed that not only does the mini reload, it also seems to move positions for me. If there is one login for the url, then it will fill the form for me. But once there are multiples, then I get the issue randomly. I thought I found a slight fix by using the right arrow key to highlight the username and then using the up arrow key before hitting enter. But again, this doesn't work all of the time either.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rbaugh:

Can you please share the support ID you received so we can locate your message in the system?

• rbaugh
    rbaugh
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana the support ID is #ZWZ-49762-893. I got a reply that the beta release was suppose to have a fix in it, so I am trying it out to see if it fixes the issue for me.

• Great! Thanks for the update @rbaugh.

Ben

• Bret Linford
    Bret Linford
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, all. For some reason the issues stopped but now they're back again.

The most frustrating is this from above "While in Chrome and going to gmail for instance, the ext knows I'm at gmail but when i arrow down to my login info in 1P by hitting enter or return, 1P comes back up and shows all items and does not fill my login info."

Here is a video of what is happening. Help? Thanks!

https://myfolio.gap.com/:v:/g/personal/br415a8_gap_com/EVkxL-KZOmNGs4OW5NYHiUYBK9XzQnMrbp0S1l3AJd-1xg?e=eHaaTz

Model Name: iMac Pro
    Model Identifier: iMacPro1,1
    Processor Name: Intel Xeon W
    Processor Speed: 3 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 10
    L2 Cache (per Core): 1 MB
    L3 Cache: 13.8 MB
    Memory: 64 GB
    Boot ROM Version: 220.250.366.0.0 (iBridge: 16.16.4507.0.0,0)
    Serial Number (system): C02XG0J3HX8F
    Hardware UUID: 67E35EA7-CD43-5323-931D-2256F96FFFA1

OS 10.14.4

Chrome Version 77.0.3865.120 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1p v 7.3.2 (70302004)

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Bret Linford

This is a bug in 1Password that our developers are aware of and are working hard to track down. We hope to have a fix soon, though I couldn't make any promises about any specific timeframes.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

• Bret Linford
    Bret Linford
    Community Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thanks, Ben. Good to know I'm not crazy, well, I am crazy but not about this issue! Glad to hear a fix is coming down the pike. Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.