Feature Request: More granular controls on password generator

2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

ironically, 1Password for Windows version 6 was the first to ship with the new password generator...but then of course it was changed again. Keep on swimming. :lol:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yep. For whatever reason, websites certainly seem to go out of their way to make it hard sometimes. The password generator doesn't have any way of determining reliably on its own what is/isn't going to work, so our focus is on it working well within most common scenarios. But that doesn't always work to our advantage. Sorry about that. :( In recent revisions we've cut it down to 6 symbols -- !@.-_* -- to avoid compatibility issues but also bugs that often occur in websites where special characters can cause the user's password to get truncated (among other weirdness). I can see from the screenshot that . and - and _ and * are where what we're using has an unwanted overlap with that particular site's unique restrictions. But generating a new password and simply deleting any disallowed characters would work even there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not aware of a way to generate a password entirely devoid numbers using any version of 1Password without explicitly unchecking "Numbers". Can you provide steps to reproduce?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, if you're using 1Password for Windows, as it "says on the tin", you can "Allow digits":

That makes it possible for the generated password to include numbers.

The new password generator we've been working on in 1Password X, among other things, just has a setting to include at least one number to help with this sort of thing:

In the mean time, since I needed to click "Regenerate" 10 times to get a 15 character password without any numbers, chances are good if you click it once or twice you can get at least one. Give it a try. :)

• Thanks for the feedback @syntax53. I understand it is frustrating when it feels like an important feature isn't being worked on. One of our goals is to build some code for things like the password generator that can be re-used across all of our 1Password apps. Part of the difficulty at the moment is that each team needs to build their own, and has their own priorities. This leads to discrepancies between the functionality of the various apps and situations like this. There is a fair bit of groundwork that needs to be done in order to make that feasible. We're still in the groundwork stages. But once that is complete it should be much easier for all of the apps to get and stay on the same page.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@syntax53: We do not have anyone who can spend any time on that currently, as we're working on significant changes in the Windows app that, frankly, we would have liked to have completed already, but we're not going to rush it; we'll take the time to do it right. The new password generator (among other things) is pretty much done, but we can't add that code, UI, etc. until everything else is in place. I'm sure that we could do the bare minimum, as you suggest, in less than an hour; but unlike your "example code" above, nothing in 1Password exists in a vacuum and has to work securely and reliably together. It's easy to sneer and make snide comments from the sidelines. But there are other things that are necessarily going to be a higher priority than avoiding the occasional inconvenience of an additional click when generating a password. If this is the most important thing to you, 1Password X is available now. And once everything is in place for our cross-platform initiative, we'll be adding the new password generator and many other things to the Windows app as well. I can't speak for you, but I know we'll be happy once that's accomplished. :)

This discussion has been closed.