Error: Unknown is connected but its code signature could not be verified

2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jshep321: Thanks for asking. I'm sorry for the confusion. I'll do my best to clarify. That Mac app was created in 2013 and development for it ended in 2018 (with version 6). Similarly, that Windows app was created in early 2014 and development ended in late 2017. So neither of those apps have code in them to support later browser and OS releases. They will still work with their supported browser and OS versions, and in some cases continue to work with later releases where they haven't changed in ways that prevent that. But inevitably, as technology moves on and you (hopefully) continue to keep up to date with your browser and OS, staying out of date with other software will result in compatibility problems. I don't have a solution for other company's stuff, but if you'd like to transition to a 1Password membership so that it's easy to keep up with 1Password as well while you use the latest browsers and OSes, across all your devices, I'll be happy to help you with that. Just email support@1password.com and let me know the Support ID you receive, and we'll go from there. :)

• MrMadsen
    MrMadsen
    Community Member

Sorry to interrupt the conversation. I also have the 1password 4 on PC win 10 and nevest chrome and I get the same error. If I upgrade to version 7

• Is there any discount for owners of 1pass ver 4?
    • Can I still have my vault on dropbox and not on your cloud service?
    • Is there only the sub model? can't I buy the program?
  • I hope you'll forgive me for being brief here, @MrMadsen, but this is a question we have to answer quite a lot so I've been trying to help us answer it less by improving our documentation on the topic. Most of your questions should be answered in our upgrade guide, but please let me know if anything is unclear. I'm happy to clarify (and update the guide) :+1:

Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Windows

Discounts aren't covered since those will inevitably change from time to time. Right now, 1Password 7 is still discounted for everyone – it's U.S.$49.99 for standalone license (normally $64.99) and there is also a promotion available through Wirecutter for 50% off your first year of 1Password membership.

• MrMadsen
    MrMadsen
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

I found the link to buy the standalone version of Ver 7, thanks

It says Ver 7 for windows. But I also need Ver 7 on my mac, do I need to buy the program 2 times then or can I install with the same license on all my devices?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2019

@MrMadsen: There is no license that can cover all devices. You'd need a 1Password membership for that, since then you'd have a 1Password account to sign into in all the apps, regardless of platform/distribution. Otherwise, a 1Password 7 for Windows license would allow you to use that version on all of your compatible PCs; a 1Password 7 for Mac license would allow you to use that version on all of your compatible Macs.

• MrMadsen
    MrMadsen
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

Delete me

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MrMadsen,

If you created a 1Password account, please make sure to add your account to 1Password 7 for Windows (or 1Password 7 for Mac) in order to "activate" it. Here is how:

How to add your 1Password account to the apps

Let us know how it works after that. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• MrMadsen
    MrMadsen
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

I have now installed ver 7 for windows. It seems to me, that it makes a new vault on your servers? before I installed version 7 I had version 4 with the vault in my dropbox. How do i change the vault in ver 7 back to using dropbox? :)

On my macbook i have ver 4 - 6.8.9 still using the vault in dropbox :( I can't find the ver numbers on iphone and ipad, but I asume that they also still use the vault on Dropbox.

Do i need to install ver 7 on all devices?

• You aren't required to use 1Password 7 across devices, @MrMadsen, but I would recommend it all the same. Right now, I don't believe there are any major compatibility issues with 1Password 6 for Mac, but if you're a Safari user there is one coming when Safari 13 releases. We certainly don't set out to break older versions of 1Password, but there will always come a point where things stop working as smoothly as browsers and operating systems evolve around older software of any sort and 1Password is no different. Upgrading as soon as you're ready to take that plunge can save you some pain long-term.

As for your current Windows setup – it will only move your data if you sign in with a 1Password.com account. If you only open your existing vault and purchase a license instead, it will stay on Dropbox. When you press Ctrl + D and look in your sidebar, what do you see above your vault? An account name or "On this PC"?

• MrMadsen
    MrMadsen
    Community Member

I see this

• MrMadsen
    MrMadsen
    Community Member

I see now on my mac that I have dropbox vault on mac, with an option to choose between the 2 and on PC I only have the vault on your servers.

Cant' I change the vault on windows back to the old dropbox vault?

• You can certainly get back to the old Dropbox vault, @MrMadsen, but my concern is how you ended up signing up for a 1Password membership in the first place. The guide I shared before included two paths – one if you wanted to move to a 1Password membership and another if you wanted to stick with a standalone vault. To me, it looks like you followed the former path so if we reopen your standalone vault and sign out of your account, we'll leave you in read-only mode where you won't be able to fill or make changes to your items. You said you'd found where to purchase a standalone license earlier on – were you able to buy one? If you did, you should have received a confirmation e-mail with a link to your license file. You would also need to have added that license to 1Password by downloading the file and double-clicking that downloaded file with 1Password open to apply the license. Do you recall doing that? I'm more than happy to help you reopen that vault, but I want to make sure that by doing so, I'm not going to be leaving you in a different bad state. :+1:.

• MrMadsen
    MrMadsen
    Community Member

:) I understand the confusion. I need 1pass both on mac and PC. I fund out I would need to buy a standalone version to each platform, thats to expensive for me. So I decides to try the 1 free trial month with ver 7 and installed that on my PC and apparently made a copy of my vault, now saved at your servers and used on PC. I then installed 1pass ver 7 on my Mac and logged in with the window version and see I have 2 options for vaults. The new windows version and the old dropbox version.

Is it possible to setup windows to just use the dropbox version again og should I set my mac to use the new version and then delete the one in dropbox? I would like to use dropbox.

Thanks.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MrMadsen,

If you need to use 1Password on both Mac and PC, but don't want to purchase a standalone license for both platforms, you should use your new 1Password account on your Mac (not your old vault in Dropbox).

Make sure that you see all of your data on 1Password.com in the browser and then delete your old local vault from 1Password on your Mac. To remove your old vault (called Primary), open and unlock 1Password on your Mac > choose Vault menu > Switch to Vault > Primary. Then choose Vault menu > Delete Vault.

Let us know if you still have any questions. We are always happy to help. :)

Cheers,
    Greg

• quick_dry
    quick_dry
    Community Member

Hi, I realise that the ideal would be to update to new subscription or standalone versions, but that since that isn't possible right now, is there a registry flag/setting to bypass the code signature checking which would allow 1Password to work with future versions of Chrome?

(I'm aware of the security implications of this, but obviously this is an issue that will keep cropping up for anyone on standalone versions where signature change immediately makes a version unsuable)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I don't think this is possible @quick_dry. However, if you could clarify why it's not possible for you to update to 1Password 7, perhaps we can suggest something that would work for you.

• kennyp
    kennyp
    Community Member

In my version of 1password for windows (4.6.2.626) there is a menu option at: Help -> Advanced -> Verify web browser code signature

I tried turning that off and the Chrome 1password extension started working again. Of course, it will no longer validate the browser's signature after that (duh)

It's too bad we can't get a new version of 1password 4 that includes the new Chrome cert. Version 4 still works great and literally the only reason to upgrade for me would be to get the browser verification working again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I hear you, but we've had a newer version of 1Password for years now, which we've added support for new browser releases to over time. It's not feasible to maintain multiple codebases, especially given the age and incompatibility of the old version with current tools and libraries.

• eknigmah
    eknigmah
    Community Member

Currently a version 4 user. Wouldn't consider version 6 because it lacked a local vault. Can I disable version 7's ability to store my vault in your cloud?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@eknigmah: It's not something you'd "disable". If you're not using a 1Password account, you won't have your encrypted data in our "cloud". Just keep in mind that it's entirely up to you in that case to not only sync your data but also back it up. Better safe than sorry. :+1:

• eknigmah
    eknigmah
    Community Member

Does manual syncing working the same way in 7 as it does in 4?

• I can give you a more definite answer if you can share the precise sync option you're interested in, @eknigmah. Not much has changed with standalone vault sync in 1Password 7, but there are some notable differences. As a starting point, the various sync options today are laid out here:

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

And, of course, if you can share your preferred sync method I can certainly give you a quick rundown of anything that's changed. :+1:

• eknigmah
    eknigmah
    Community Member

Bundtkate, thanks for the link. I use WLAN to sync all of my iOS devices and Windows computers. The linked info says "The WLAN server isn’t available in 1Password 6 or later on Windows." If a cloud service is required to sync Windows then 7 is not a option for me.

• With an iOS device in the mix, @eknigmah, some variety of cloud service is required, so that's like the best choice for you for now. As you might have guessed, WLAN is the biggie that did change, so that's why I figured the link was the best bet as it covers all of the varied options. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.