Difference between using "Social Security" item vs. adding it as a custom field to an "Identity"?

Options
Bikr
Bikr
Community Member

I'm new to 1Password (and love it so far!) and curious why one would use the Social Security item versus adding a custom field to an Identity? 🤔

I rather have all the personal info like that in one place, but wanted to know if I'd miss something by not using the Social Security type item.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:What's the benefit of using the "Social Security" category vs. adding a SS field in an Identity?

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Bikr

Identities are fillable items, whereas Social Security Number items are not. I would not recommend storing your SSN on an Identity item, for fear it might accidentally be filled into a form when you didn't intend to share that information. :)

Ben

• Bikr
    Bikr
    Community Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Oh, I didn't know Social Security items weren't fillable. Thanks for letting me know. 👍

I'm not concerned about accidentally filling in a field as I always double-check everything before submitting a form. Since I know my Social Security #, the only reason to put it in 1Password would be to speed up filling out forms. Bank applications will typically ask for Social Security and driver's license # along with the usual personal info (name, address, etc.), so it'd be handy in that scenario.

But I can see how the recommendation to not make it fillable, is the safer option. 🙂

• Ben
    Options

Makes sense. :) :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.