Import problem - exported website names from Dashlane seem to be incomplete URLs

Options
Tonetony
Tonetony
Community Member

This isn't Mac-specific. In fact, I initially set up 1Password in Windows, and imported data from Dashlane at your web site. But I'm now almost exclusively using the Mac edition.

I've been reviewing how well 1Password imported from the Dashlane .json file I exported. Mostly I've just been checking that the Password (Login) notes fields transferred correctly.

But I noticed that only the domain names in Dashlane's website field copied into 1Password's website field. I thought well, I guess that must be harmless - figured for some reason 1Password had dropped the full URL as unimportant, and didn't test it out.

But finally I tested one of these, and the login saved in 1Password did not work in the login field of the domain name (if there even happened to be one). But it did work at the full URL Dashlane was storing.

I just re-exported a .json file from Dashlane to examine it, and -- tada. It's not your import, it's their export. Dashlane does not export the full URL, just the domain name. In fact the json field name is "domain".

It's not just subdomains that are missing. Everything in the URL is missing except the domain name. Subdomains, path names, protocol (http vs. https) are all missing.

So for example, Dashlane stores https://www.paypal.com/us/signin but exported just paypal.com. In this case, it makes a small difference - it requires an extra click to get to the PayPal signin page. But other cases are worse.

Doesn't it mean "open and fill" couldn't possibly work on these partial website names?

I'll need to go through my password list again and double-check for these, and, evidently, fix each 1Password Login by hand.

Given what I have encountered here, would it be correct that, presently, there is no way to perfectly convert from Dashlane to 1Password without double-checking each item and manually fixing partial URLs?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Tonetony

Doesn't it mean "open and fill" couldn't possibly work on these partial website names?

That is mostly true. Exceptions (where it will work) are websites that have a login form on their index page (i.e. what you see when visiting the page at domain.tld).

Given what I have encountered here, would it be correct that, presently, there is no way to perfectly convert from Dashlane to 1Password without double-checking each item and manually fixing partial URLs?

If Go & Fill is important to you then yes, I think that is probably fair to say. Unfortunately as you noted this is not a problem with our import, but rather with Dashlane's export. That isn't something that we can fix. For myself, I essentially never use Go & Fill, so it wouldn't make much if any difference to me. Everyone works a bit differently though, so if may be worth investing the time if you think you'll use it.

Ben

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

Good points.

I read a number of discussions here regarding subdomain matching, and while I'm not entirely sure what the very latest status is, it seems 1Password MIGHT at this point, if there are multiple matches for a domain, sort suggested Logins based on Favorites, then subdomain matches, then finally other matches. So to get that ideal sort, getting the URL right could matter. But I can only think of a few sites where I have multiple logins, and all of those turn out to be on the same subdomain... so, the exact URL isn't going to make a difference.

I have a feeling many of those specific URLs aren't even still valid. I wouldn't know without trying them out, because, as you imply you do, I usually open pages through browser bookmarks or URL autocompletion, and not through a password manager. I might do that to test a saved Login, but otherwise not in the regular course of browsing.

In other words, this is not the five-alarm fire it first appeared to be.

Thanks, Ben.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.