1Password 7.3.2 is in Read-Only mode on one of my computers

tome
tome
Community Member
edited August 2019 in Mac

I have been using 1Password for many years. I have purchased it [multiple times actually] through both software bundles I have bought and through the Mac App store. It has been working fine on all my devices for a long time. Recently on one of my computers that my wife uses 1Password has gone into Read-Only mode. We don't know why this happened. It was working fine on version 7.3.1 (I think that was the version) for many weeks but then stopped. I upgraded to 7.3.2 just now hoping this would fix the issue but it didn't. The update worked, now at 7.3.2, but still in Read-Only mode. How do I get it to work again?
Thanks,
-Tom

PS: I should add that this computer is running 10.13.6 (High Sierra). I should also add that I have always had/used the standalone version - I do not like subscription software.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tome: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! The 1Password app will be read-only in "standalone" mode without a valid license. If you've purchased a license for 1Password for Mac version 7, you just need to apply it to remove the restriction. Otherwise you'd need to buy one in the app (you can do so from the read-only notice), or get all of the apps and updates as part of a 1Password membership. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• tome
    tome
    Community Member

How do I get and apply my license? Can I get the license code for the app running on my other computer?
    By the way, why would it have been working for weeks and then suddenly say it is read-only?
    Thanks,
    -Tom

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member

A happy user since 1P 3.7.5, I updated to 1P 7.3.2 a few day from the Apple Store and am now stuck in Read-Only mode. Annoying as hell!

I saved my 1P 7 license to 1P under Software Licenses but when I double click on it, I get the alert:

Some guidance would be greatly appreciated.

• Hi @tome,

Your license file should've been emailed to you when you made your purchase. You should be able to retrieve it from your email.

Ben

• @BikerBob

1Password from the Mac App Store requires a membership subscription. To use a license you must download the version of 1Password from our website:

Download for Mac

I hope that helps.

Ben

• glantz
    glantz
    Community Member

Having the exact same issue and nothing appears to work. Can someone assist me to get this working again. I’m a long time user and no longer can save anything as it’s all read only. I purchased it via the Mac store.

• Hi @glantz

Licenses do not generally include major upgrades. For example a 1Password 6 for Mac license purchase does not include 1Password 7 for Mac. 1Password 7 from the Mac App Store requires a 1Password membership subscription. It does not offer a licensing option. If you have already or would like to purchase a 1Password 7 for Mac license that would require using the download from our website. Licenses can be purchased from within the app when downloaded from us:

Download for Mac

That said I'd encourage you to look into the benefits of upgrading to membership — including access to all of the latest versions of 1Password; no separate upgrade fees. You can read about those benefits here:

About 1Password membership

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• glantz
    glantz
    Community Member

I don’t mind buying an upgraded license, but I’m not a fan of monthly subscriptions. How would I go about doing that? The biggest issue is the lack of warning prior to upgrading to 7. I just feel like this is all very misleading.

• @glantz

1Password 7 for Mac licenses can be purchased within the 1Password 7 for Mac application once you've installed it from our website:

Download for Mac

Licenses are regularly priced at $65 USD + tax, but as of writing are on sale for $50 USD + tax for a limited time. The download from the Mac App Store will only work with a membership subscription.

Ben

• glantz
    glantz
    Community Member

So the 1password 7 version I downloaded via the Mac store. Just delete it?

• Yes, if you're going to go the licensing route then that isn't going to do any good for you and you should delete it.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.