Windows 10 Chrome user - 1Password most always asking add or update every login. I do not want that.

I have reviewed quite a few articles/discussions on the web and in this support forum - but not really getting there.

Windows 10 Chrome user - 1Password nearly always pops up to add or update each login I make in Chrome browser windows/websites. I do not want that.

Maybe I do not understand and know how to use the Browser Extension options - and this question:
This can read and change site data > Site Access Options ? - confusing, literature is a little foggy on what this really does/how invasive/why
The Options menu option (separate from above) is grayed out.

I read this article as well: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/103656/why-does-the-extension-need-all-these-permissions

Sometimes it's just that i'm in a rush, and MPass pops up "in my way" for me to login first, then to Add or Update Existing pw. It pops up whether it already has that info or not. I do not have time. Nor do i want to take the time to add each website to a Web Exclusion List. There are also several apps/websites I just don't want to store my pw anywhere - 1PW or Chrome PW Manager. I choose to login manually when i go to these.

I need more of a button (1PW Browser Ext for instance) that I can click WHEN and IF i want it to save or update login information - or to go there to look for a PW I've forgotten, but when I want it - not when it wants it. If I change the option above to "When you click the extension" then it goes into this loop of asking to Reload the Webpage - sometimes twice before I can click and use the extension. Otherwise - it's "All Sites".

There probably is a preference - but not seeing a pref for exactly my scenario. I have been using 1PW for about a year and a half and overall am super pleased with it for helping me remember passwords and logging in when I need it. I have and pay for an annual subscription to 1Password.

Appreciate your assistance with this more specific need....
Thank you,
A

1Password Version: 7.3.684.0
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome and 1Password

Comments

• Starting with the sites where you never want to save, @ayouse12, you can add these to the exclusion list from the prompt itself. My screenshot below shows the "Create New" dialogue, but the "Update" tab has the same buttons.

Select that option and you'll not be prompted to save again. :+1: No need to adjust extension permissions.

As for it popping up on sites you've already got saved, I suspect that might be Google's password manager giving you some trouble here. A few things you mentioned seemed to imply you still have Chrome's password saving feature enabled. If you do and Chrome still has some of the passwords you saved in 1Password stored as well, it will continue to fill these passwords. If 1Password is locked at the time it does so and you sign in, it will always prompt you to save.

Wait, but why? You've already saved that in 1Password and nothing has changed! True, but 1Password doesn't know that when it's locked. When 1Password is locked, your data is encrypted and 1Password can't read that data until you give it the key to do so – your Master Password. Since it can't know whether you've saved this password or not, it prompts you to save it just in case. Logic being it's better to try to capture data than take the risk that perhaps 1Password autolocked while you were creating an account and failing to save will have that password lost to the ages. In short, better safe than sorry.

While this isn't strictly caused by Chrome filling, having it fill will make you more likely to end up signing into a site with 1Password locked. After all, if you open a site and your username and password are already there, why are you going to unlock 1Password and have it fill instead? You can just sign in. So, next time you see 1Password prompting on a site you've already saved, check if 1Password is locked. If it is, unlock it, sign out and sign in again and check if you still see a prompt. Let me know what you find. :chuffed:

• Alice12
    Alice12
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

Hi Kate (?),
    I really appreciate your reply and comments, that is the best answer I've read to address this issue. I have seen a few similar posts to the Why use Chrome when you have 1Password and related regarding sign-in issues and the popup.. But this hit the exact question I was struggling with - so thank you so much for your time. I'm sure you're right on all you've suggested, and I will run thru the tests you describe and let you know.

With much thanks,
    Alice

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of bundtkate, you are welcome @Alice12!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.