Just moved to 1password.com can't remove duplicates

Dieter59
Dieter59
Community Member
edited August 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I just moved to 1password.com abo and made a mistake importing the items. Now I've double evry single item in my 1pw.com vault. I founf an article zthat I should go to helb->tools->remove duplicate items but in my Windows version of 1ps´w 7.3.684 I've only "Optimize Database" ands clicking on that doesn't help. In fact nothing happens ...

1Password Version: 7.6.684
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
_OS Version: Win 10
_Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Are you absolutely certain all of these duplicates are in your Personal vault, @Dieter59? I do see folks end up with dupes sometimes, but it's far and away more common for duplicates to result from your old standalone vault still being in your app. Could you press Ctrl + D, select Personal and just make extra sure you still see duplicates with only your Personal vault selected?

If you do still see them there, do you still have your old OPVault or AgileKeychain handy? In these cases, the best thing is often a mulligan so as long as you've still got your old vault around and you haven't made any changes to your items since importing, we can give that a go. :+1:

• rskar
    rskar
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem, I had slightly different vaults in my iphone, mac and PC, now I uploaded each of them and now have duplicaes and triplicates of everything. I have just my private vault now selected. How can I have it remove all of these redundant logins? Is there a tool?

• There's a remove duplicates tool on Mac, @rskar, but this will only catch genuine duplicates. Things where every little detail is the same. It's purposefully picky because if one of those apparent duplicates is more up-to-date than the others, it doesn't want to eat the wrong one. It can't tell for sure what's most up-to-date – maybe you modified a tag in one making it look newer but never updated the password so it's still not "complete" for lack of a better word. This sort of thing is tough to automate and given you had differences between vaults from the get-go there may not be a way to perfectly and automatically clean up.

If you'd like, you can give the remove duplicates tool on Mac a try – help > tools > remove duplicate items – but my recommendation in these situations is usually to pick one of two paths:

1. Choose a single vault from one device that you believe is most up-to-date and use it. You'll probably find some things are missing and others are wrong, but when you do you can either reset that password or restore a deleted version of that item from the trash or Item History's archive. If you do this, you'll want to delete everything in your Personal vault, save your Starter Kit items if you want to keep them, and re-import the vault you choose.
    2. Do as you did here and import everything. Use the remove duplicates tool as a starting point, but do so knowing you'll likely need to clean up manually a bit too. Your mileage will very much vary as to how much that tool will sort out for you. You can use a few other features of 1Password to make this process easier. It's most important to have the latest password, so starting in "Reused passwords" in deleting any duplicates you see there can get you off to a really good start. From there, you can sort by name and go through your item list looking at dates modified keeping the one modified most recently to finish off. All of these strategies come with some risk of deleting the wrong thing (see my earlier example about adding a tag to an item with the wrong password), but again, the archived items in Item History will allow you to restore a different item and delete the one you kept if you later find you made an error.

I know neither of these is a seamless solution to your problem and I'd certainly not call either fun (unless the first works out perfectly for you), but when you start out with things out of sync, these two paths are the best I've found for getting back to a happy place. Plus, 1Password.com is much less prone to sync issues than standalone vaults so it should be a one time project you never have to repeat. I'm sorry I don't have a fully automated solution for you, but I hope this helps and, of course, I'm here if you have any additional questions. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.