Good way to export objects for KeePass

​Hello,

Background
I tested 1Password for several months and want to go back to Keepass now. At first 1Password was great, but the lack of customization like plugins, lack of auto-type and few options compared to Keepass convinced me to go back. My only reason to not use Keepass, was that I couldn​'​t sync my work and home databases properly. The biggest problem here is my company and it's very "​​​​conservative" proxy. I also couldn​'​t use the desktop application for work, because of my company. The only password manager that my company supports is Keepass. ​​Since now ​I ​found a solution to sync my Keepass (WebDav over HTTPS) I don't have a reason to stay by 1Password. The only features I definitly WILL miss are the direct input of user and password, the saving directly to 1Password if I create an account and​ the​ android usability (very good job there). In return I now​ get​ my beloved auto-type and extensibility.

Now my problem
As you read I want to migrate back to Keepass. The migration to 1Password was easy because of some nice ​​people that wrote scripts to convert a Keepass-XML to 1Password-1pif. With help of those scripts I could migrate to 1Password in less than three hours. How can I migrate back without losing much data like notices and similar? If the only option is the csv-export with rightclick-->export on the application, then I am really disappointed. I'm sitting here like four hours, but I can​'​t get this (sorry for the harsh word) crap to work because the colum and row logic is completly f*cked up. I mean I did recommend 1Password to a colleague of mine, but if he have to also go through this (because he tries many different tools) then I have to warn him.
My second option that I slowly really consider is to write a script to convert the .txt-Export to something that can import every normal password manager. Up to now I do consider 1Password a viable alternative, but I don't want a password-manager that forces you like this to stay.

Thank you and excuse my bad english

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 1.16.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Membership Cloud

Comments

• Your English is fine, @Yannic, no need to apologize. I'm always amazed at folks apologizing for English that's often better than what I hear on the streets in the U.S. You're doing great – if you didn't apologize I'd never have known it wasn't your first language. :chuffed:

As for the export, I apologize for that. We're aware that CSV isn't working as it should and it's something we are working on getting fixed up. That doesn't help you now, though, so let's see what we can do to get you a usable export. I'm not terribly familiar with Keepass so I'll start by asking – what can it import? A lot of password managers support 1PIF – is that an option or does it expect CSV? Also, do you have any other devices in your ecosystem besides the PC? This will help me find the easiest path forward so I can point you in the right direction. :+1:

• Yannic
    Yannic
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

Hey @bundtkate and thanks for your answer. Keepass can't import 1pif out-of-the-box, but there is a plugin for that. Now, I can't say for sure it will work the way I want, but I can test it today with a 1Password local vault (that would be 1pif or do I need 1Password 4?). There are also scripts that can convert 1pif, but I prefer the plugin. The question now is: Can I export my cloud-vault (1Password-membership) to 1pif?

Keepass can also import its own XML and database formats (obviously :)) and has a generic csv importer where you have to map all the fields. On the Website from Keepass you can also find the standard imports: https://keepass.info/help/base/importexport.html
    And at the plugin page there are tons of plugins for different formats: https://keepass.info/plugins.html
    But i think most of them are not interesting for my use-case.

• Yannic
    Yannic
    Community Member

Sorry I overread your last sentence. I also have a rooted android phone.

• In this case, @Yannic, I think you're gonna need 1Password 4. If you had a Mac in particular we could possibly have made this easier, but Android would require a similar process to Windows since exporting on mobile requires you get the file to a desktop or laptop anyway. Given that, let's go with 1Password 4.

Before I run through getting things to 1Password 4 and exporting there, I'd like you to try one more thing in 1Password 7. 1Password 4 can only export Login items to CSV so we'll want to find a good way to get other item types exported as well. One thing I've found helps when having export issues from other password managers is limiting the item types exported to one so I'd like to try applying that logic to 1Password and see if it gets you something workable for your non-Logins. Logins tend to be more customized (added fields for 2FA, security questions, backup codes, etc.) so we'll handle those in 1Password 4, but things like Identities and Credit Cards are often more standardized so I have some hope they'll look okay for you when exported on their own from 1Password 7. This is something you've done before so export as you tried previously, but one select the items from a single non-Login category and export to CSV. Take a look at the export and see if it looks okay. If it does, repeat for other non-Login categories and import using KeePass's generic CSV importer (looks like their 1Password-specific importer was tab-delimited). When you get to Documents (if any), I'd suggest just downloading them and throwing them in a local folder for now so they're easy to upload to KeePass. If they're related items, you can add the item name to the file name so it's easy to see what item they should be attached to later.

Once you've given that a go, follow this guide to move your data in 1Password 7 for Windows to a standalone vault and feel free to only move Logins if you feel comfortable with what you got for other item types:

https://support.1password.com/cs/migrate-standalone/?windows

This will leave you with an OPVault saved in the folder you choose in Step 4. Once you've got that OPVault, grab 1Password 4 and install it:

https://c.1password.com/dist/1P/win4/1Password-4.6.2.626.exe

You don't need to worry about licensing it or anything – it's just lending a temporary hand. Instead, choose "Used 1Password Before" on the Welcome screen and open that OPVault. Once you've done so you can export to CSV from 1Password 4 and should get better formating:

1. Choose File > Export.
    2. Select tabluated from the type dropdown as KeePass suggests here (thanks for that link!).
    3. Select All Logins.
    4. Export away.

Take a look at this export and make sure it's looking okay. If you found 1Password 7 still didn't export the non-Logins well enough, I'd suggest getting them exported to 1PIF and reaching out to KeePass for help. Those scripts you used before weren't ours – they were made by one of my favorite people here, MrC, and it's quite possible KeePass has a similarly awesome fan that could help, too. Alternatively, the folks there have a method to import 1PIF that isn't well-documented perhaps because it's something they don't feel comfortable asking customers to do without guidance – I know we've had a few cases where we've made the decision not to document something until we improved it, too, so it's always worth asking just in case.

Again, I'm sorry this is more of a fuss than it should be. It's one of those issues I'd really love to see fixed, but it came up at a time when we weren't in a position to give it the immediate attention it deserves. I hope this works well enough for you, am happy to help further in any way I can, and when we get autotype rolled out, I hope you'll consider giving us another look. :chuffed:

• Yannic
    Yannic
    Community Member

I now have completed the import. With your help to get it into 1Password 4, I did export it to the 1pif-format and used the plugin to import it. The csv-format was better, but with the 1pif-format u can even import the history of the entries. It was annoying to edit the field that 1Password uses, but that was to be expected. If one knows how to do it, it goes faster then expected. Since I'm still member for a couple of month I can use 1Password as backup. After that I'll delete my vault. Thanks again for the help @bundtkate. This can now be closed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update! I'm glad Kate was able to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.