setting up travel mode by moving records to new vault

PaulP1
PaulP1
Community Member

I'm trying to set up travel mode.

• I create a new vault that will be my not-safe-for-travel vault.
  • I move the sensitive logins, etc. from my main vault to this new one using drag 'n' drop.
  • The sensitive items are all in my new vault. Good.
  • I'm expecting that my main vault will no longer have these sensitive items in it.
  • WRONG. There they all are - sitting in my trash. (I now know that 1Password doesn't move - it copies and deletes and the delete process creates the trash items.)
  • I can't selectively remove these items from my trash as that function isn't supported by 1Password and I don't want to empty all my trash as there are items in there from a long time ago that may be needed again.

Is there a way around this?

I thought that I could reverse the designation of the vaults, so that I move the non-sensitive items to a new vault and then make the original one the not-safe-for-travel vault. But that is a bit cumbersome and not intuitive.

Is there a better way?

1Password Version: 7.3.2 (70302004)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:travel safe move to vault leaves in trash

Comments

• Hi @PaulP1

I realize it probably isn't the most satisfying of answers but the best I could recommend here would be to not store items in the Trash that you don't intend to delete, so that you are able to empty the Trash. For myself I keep a separate "archive" vault that is excluded from my All Vaults view for items that I'm not using actively but might want to reference at some point in the future.

Ben

• PaulP1
    PaulP1
    Community Member

Thx Ben,

You're right that that isn't very satisfying but it does work, so thanks for the suggestion.

There are probably many reasons for having a trash bucket and also many ways to use it. The way that I use the trash is to keep things that I don't need any more, so they don't clutter the main listing, but I am not sure if I'll ever need them again - they can stay in the trash forever, just in case. But there are other things that I know that I will never need again, e.g. duplicate items or items that are in other vaults, and it would be much easier for me if I could selectively remove them from the trash. As an aside, the folks at Apple added selective removal from the macOS trash a few years ago, I'm guessing in response to customer requests; here's hoping that 1Password will do the same soon. (my humble request for a new function)

Thanks for a great product and even better support from you guys.

Cheers,
    Paul

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day!

• PaulP1
    PaulP1
    Community Member

Thanks Ana,
    I'll say it again - great support from you guys at 1Password!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@PaulP1, you are very welcome and thank you for the kind words! :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.