To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Been using 1password for nearly 2 years.. now cannot find Secret Key

So - I have been a happy 1Password subscriber for nearly 2 years now on my mobile, with zero complaints.

Earlier today, I used my 1PW (as I do nearly everyday), and when I went back to 1PW again this afternoon, it had shown me a different login screen.

I clicked "Already using 1Password?" / 1Password.com, and now it's asking me to login using my master password.

Embarrassingly, I do not remember my Master PW as I've been using Touch ID / Face ID for as long as I can remember with 1PW.

Now, I'm trying to reset my Master, but it's asking me for a Secret Key. I've searched for Emergency Kits on all of my computers, and I'm coming up with nothing....

Is there any way I'm going to be able to get my account back? I have a lot of information I keep in my account because my parents can no longer remember any of their info also. Restarting an entirely new account would be the last thing I'd want to do. I wouldn't be able to get back a lot of the data that I had saved..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jon_Lost_His_Info
    Jon_Lost_His_Info
    Community Member

So - I have been a happy 1Password subscriber for nearly 2 years now on my mobile, with zero complaints.

Earlier today, I used my 1PW (as I do nearly everyday), and when I went back to 1PW again this afternoon, it had shown me a different login screen.

I clicked "Already using 1Password?" / 1Password.com, and now it's asking me to login using my master password.

Embarrassingly, I do not remember my Master PW as I've been using Touch ID / Face ID for as long as I can remember with 1PW.

Now, I'm trying to reset my Master, but it's asking me for a Secret Key. I've searched for Emergency Kits on all of my computers, and I'm coming up with nothing....

Is there any way I'm going to be able to get my account back? I have a lot of information I keep in my account because my parents can no longer remember any of their info also, and now I manage most of their things. Restarting an entirely new account would likely be almost impossible to restore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jon_Lost_His_Info: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds you probably don't have an account. If you're trying to login with a 1Password Account, you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault.

But perhaps more importantly, we don't have your Master Password or access to your data. So you would need to have those things to get it back. First thing's first: where is your 1Password data currently? Without that, it doesn't matter whether or not you remember your Master Password at this time. Let me know and we'll go from there.

• ehihc
    ehihc
    Community Member

I have the same problem. I upgraded from 1password6 to 1password 7 for Mac

• Hi, @ehihc. Could you describe what you're seeing? The first comment describes 1Password on a mobile device, and you mentioned you're using it on your Mac.

Are you able to use 1Password on any of your devices? If so, which ones?

• B Blanchard
    B Blanchard
    Community Member

I was having trouble syncing 1 Password through Dropbox from my Mac to my iPad. I went to 1Password site and followed directions which include resetting all 1Password data. Now I'm trying to login in to 1Password and update from backup. Login keeps asking me for my secret key. I don't remember ever signing up with a secret key. It suggests looking in my download folder for it but nothing there. It also says I would have have a secret key if I had a 1Password.com membership. I don't think I have that but if I do where do I go to find it? Also I can't locate my backup files for 1Password on my Mac. Where are they kept? What are my options for retrieving my data?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @B Blanchard!

If you never created a 1Password account, you don't have a Secret Key.

If your data is in Dropbox, you need to select the Dropbox option after resetting your 1Password data. I think right now you are choosing the 1Password.com option instead, but if you don't have a 1Password account you won't be able to login there.

This discussion has been closed.