Would clearing my Android phone's storage for its 1PW Cache cause problems?

Options
gmj
gmj
Community Member
edited August 2019 in Android

On my Android phone, when I go to settings, apps, and then 1PW's storage, I see where 1PW has 53 MB in its cache.
To free up space on my phone, I'd like to clear the cache. Would this cause problems with how 1PW works?

Also, does the cache pose security issues? Is there 1PW info sitting on my phone unsecured?
Would it be good to clear the cache for security purposes?

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 6
Sync Type: 1PW account
Referrer: forum-search:clear cache?

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hey @gmj. 1Password saves temporary data in your local cache, so you can go ahead and delete that if you like. It doesn't pose any security issues, and the data can't be accessed by other apps. Clearing the cache won't affect your 1Password configuration or how it works.

However, if you chose to 'Clear Data', this would erase all data from 1Password as well as your settings, as if you'd just installed the app, so be careful there.

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Thank you!
    I just cleared the cache and it works fine.

Not that I would, but if I did 'Clear Data' on my Android phone, would that wipe out all my 1PW data on my Mac laptop too?
    (The data I've entered, logins, etc..)

• Hey @gmj, using 'Clear Data' on Android won't remove any data from 1Password for Mac. Once you've used 'Clear Data', you'll be asked to set up the app as if you've just installed it — if you have a membership then you can sign in when you first set it up or you can add a standalone vault that you're syncing with a third party :)

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

So, if I cleared data on my Android phone, I'd then be asked to set up the 1PW app again.
    Then, since I have a membership, I would sign in to 1PW and my data would populate into my 1PW phone app, is that right?

• peri
    Options

@gmj That is correct. As soon as you sign into your account, your data will be available on your android device. The 'Clear Data' option works similarly to uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password, in that it wipes the local settings and data from the app. It doesn't affect your data stored elsewhere (like in our servers) and it doesn't affect other devices.

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad peri was able to help! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.