Change Private to Shared?

mattsteinruck
mattsteinruck
Community Member

I'm finally taking the leap and moving from the legacy Installed version to the Membership version.

I imported my vault during setup, which makes it a "Private" vault.
There is also the default "Shared" vault in the new version.

The whole point here is to make these items shareable within our family. (My wife needs to import her Installed-version Vault into our Family plan.)

Is there a way to change the properties of my Private vault to make it Shareable?
Or a way to bulk-move all items into Shared?

Any other best-practices that an old Legacy user should be aware of to get used to this new setup?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mattsteinruck

It is not possible to change the "Private" vault into a shared vault, but you can either move the items you want to share into the default "Shared" vault (shared with everyone in your family membership), or create a new shared vault that is shared only with the people you want to share those items with.

The exact instructions for moving items will vary slightly by platform (you didn't mention which platform(s) you're using), but we have a guide that explains how to do so here:

Move and copy items

It is possible to move multiple items at once. We also have a guide explaining how to create and share vaults, here:

Create and share vaults

Any other best-practices that an old Legacy user should be aware of to get used to this new setup?

Yes: you should not have a vault named "Primary" on any devices once you've migrated to membership. :+1:

I hope that helps!

Ben

• mattsteinruck
    mattsteinruck
    Community Member

Thank you Ben.
    I think it's that Bulk Move/Copy that I'm missing ... where do I find that? It's not clear in the linked article.

Also, what's the safest way to remove/shut down the legacy stuff to ensure that we're working cleanly on the cloud-based version, once we're migrated?

• I think it's that Bulk Move/Copy that I'm missing ... where do I find that? It's not clear in the linked article.

Which version of 1Password are you using? E.g. 1Password for Mac v7.3.2

Also, what's the safest way to remove/shut down the legacy stuff to ensure that we're working cleanly on the cloud-based version, once we're migrated?

Deleting the Primary vault can be done following these instructions:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

Again the instructions are a little different for each platform, but the guide covers each. :)

Ben

• mattsteinruck
    mattsteinruck
    Community Member

Oh. Dork. I've been doing everything via the web portal.
    I suppose I should check into the v7 install.
    Many thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, sorry for the confusion there. Indeed, you'd need to use the 1Password app to move multiple items between vaults at once. It sounds like you should be all set now, but we're here if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.