iOS local WLAN sync stuck on "Syncing..."

jays
jays
Community Member

iOS WLAN sync is stuck on "Syncing..." when trying to sync to 1Password on macOS.

I have tried restarting both my iPhone and MacBook.

1Password Version: 7.3.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Hi @jays

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty you're having with syncing via the WLAN server. WLAN is the most technically complex option that we offer, and there are a number of variables that factor into it that are beyond our control (such as your home network). You may want to consider switching to a different sync option that has less of a barrier to entry. You can read about the options here:

Sync your 1Password data

If you would like to try to troubleshoot the WLAN Server we have a guide available with all of the troubleshooting tips we've amassed over the years. You can find that guide here:

If you're having trouble using the WLAN server

I hope that is helpful. Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• daniel110928
    daniel110928
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue since updating the iOS app to version 7.3.6 with macOS app version 7.3.2. Any one else having the same issue?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @daniel110928!

There have been some changes in the way WLAN server works in the last 2 or 3 versions of 1Password for iOS, so it's possible that what you are seeing is related to those. Just to make sure that we are on the same page, have you tried the troubleshooting steps suggested by Ben in his post already?

• daniel110928
    daniel110928
    Community Member

@ag_ana Yes, I've tried all steps (on different WIFI networks and the computer-to-computer network) and still get the same error. :'(

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2019

Hi @daniel110928 and @jays

We're currently investigating the possibility of a bug in the WLAN sync code. To help us get an idea of what is happening here we'd like to see some diagnostic reports. On iOS enable Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings > Sync. Then please recreate the issue and generate the reports:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message and change the email address it is being sent to:
    support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please also include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/106477/iphone-show-never-synced#latest
    • Your forum username
    • The time at which you tried to sync

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Ben

• jays
    jays
    Community Member

Support ID: #QKU-73933-892

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2019

Thank you @jays!

We have received your email and we will get back to you over there as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience! :)

ref: QKU-73933-892

• @ribero

Separate issue, but we're aware of that one as well. Thanks for sharing.

Ben

• bookrats
    bookrats
    Community Member

I suspect that the "stuck syncing" error is the same bug that I reported last July (though I can't be sure): 1Password iOS 7.3.3 UI bug: After WLAN sync finishes, continues to display "Syncing..."

If so, the problem isn't that 1Password never stops syncing. The sync does finish; however, the 1Password UI never indicates that the sync has finished. (Again, this assumes that it's the same bug.)

The bug reported above was still present in 1Password for iOS, 7.3.5, on my iPhone SE.

• That is indeed the situation (sync happens, but the display doesn't reflect that). I'm not sure if it is the same bug in this case, but our development team has been made aware.

Thanks!

Ben

• utro
    utro
    Community Member

Same issue here. What I have done:
    1. synced from my iphone running 1Password 7.3.5 successfully
    2. updated 1Password to 7.3.6
    3. from now on sync from iPhone fails. Rebooting iPhone and Mac doesn't help.

Syncing my iPad still running 1Password 7.3.5 to the same Mac works as expected.

Best regards, Uwe

• PreCTANT
    PreCTANT
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

Hey @Ben

It would probably be a good idea to brief all your support staff. They currently only send the generic "we don't debug wlan sync" ([#NIU-93162-321]) template even though this clearly is a bug and not a configuration issue.

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@utro: thank you for letting us know. You should see a fix in one of the next updates, our development team now knows about this ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the suggestion @PreCTANT!

And welcome to the forum! :)

• Pitnicker
    Pitnicker
    Community Member

Hi there,
    i am synchronising a Mac with 1Password 6.8.9 between 2 iphones and 2 iPads. All mobile devices showed permanently an last sync date of about 4 weeks ago. So i worried if the sync is working at all - and tested it with a test note. This was correctly shown on all my mobile the devices after syncing - but still the date of the last sync is not updated.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
    OS Version: 10.14.6
    Sync Type: Wlan

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019

Hi @Pitnicker!

Our developers are aware of this bug, it should be fixed in one of the next updates ;)

ref: dev/apple/issues#4158

• rgunther
    rgunther
    Community Member

It's now been five weeks since WLAN sync worked properly. Any update?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rgunther - not at this time, no -- our developers are aware of the issue, and a fix for it will be in an upcoming update, I just don't have any information about when you might see it. The important thing is that your data actually IS syncing. Is it? If you're not sure, please create a new Secure Note on both your Mac and any other devices. Give each one a unique name so it can be identified easily ("From Mac," "From iPad," etc). Give everything a few seconds to sync (make sure 1Password is open and unlocked everywhere, then check to see that all Secure Notes appear on all devices. If they do, then it's only the notification in 1Password's Preferences that's not accurate. Thanks for your patience with us as we work toward a solution for that; we hope to have it resolved soon.

• PreCTANT
    PreCTANT
    Community Member

I am currently running 1Password 7.4.2 on iOS 12.4.1 and it appears to be working well again.

(…which in itself is weird since the release notes for 7.4.2.BETA-0 state "Fixed a crash that could occur during a WLAN sync error. {#4231}", they don't indicate that 7.4.2 has ever left beta.)

• utro
    utro
    Community Member

I can not confirm this.
    I'm running 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004) on macOS 10.14.6 and 1Password 7.4.2 on iOS 12.4.2 and WLAN Sync is still broken.
    Even rebooting the iPhone doesn't change anything. Syncing from iPad running iPadOS 13.1.2 with 1Password 7.3.5 still works as expected.

• Hi folks,

If you're still experiencing issues, after updating to the latest version of 1Password for iOS, could you please confirm for me if sync is indeed working and it is just the display that isn't working?

That is the issue being discussed in this thread.

Thanks!

Ben

• jays
    jays
    Community Member

I have the latest macOS version (7.3.2 (70302004) 1Password Store) and the latest iOS version (7.4.2).

Syncing is working, but the display is still saying "13 days ago" right now.

• Thanks for confirming @jays. That's what we'd expect at this point.

Ben

• daniel110928
    daniel110928
    Community Member

I have the same setup as @jays and I am getting the same result, except mine says "22 days ago", same but slightly different! ;)

• Thanks @daniel110928. Indeed, that bug still exists, but we're working on getting it fixed up. :+1:

Ben

• utro
    utro
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    since I have 1500+ items in 1Password i don't see how to check if sync functions flawless, but I added one new item on my iPhone and another new item on my iPad. iPad says: "Letzte Synchronisierung vor 20 Sekunden", iPhone says: "Letzte Synchronisierung Noch nie synchronisiert". However the new items were successfully synced between the devices. Sync is working but the display is wrong.

Uwe

• Thanks @utro. We are aware of that issue with updating the display.

Ben

• pentool
    pentool
    Community Member

I have tried to search on this issue but only found one back from 2016.

After syncing via WLAN (using WiFi) the message "Syncing..." stays on the screen of the device that is synced TO and never goes away. Example:

1. Use a Mac mini to initiate the sync to my devices (iPad 6, iPhone 7).
    2. Open 1PW on my iPad and go to the "Sync" settings.
    3. Enable WLAN on my Mac mini. This initiates the syncing process and the message "Syncing..." will appear on the iPad. You can see the WiFi cursor rotating in the toolbar/taskbar at the top of the device's screen.
    4. After the cursor stops rotating, the message "Syncing..." still appears on the device screen and will never go away.
    5. I can manually verify that the sync completed correctly by checking that the newly entered data (on the Mac mini) shows up on my iPad.
    6. Repeat steps 2-5 but on my iPhone. I get the same results. The "Syncing..." message never goes away even after the sync completed.

The sync completes correctly but the message doesn't go away, which is confusing. This issue started to happen about 2-3 versions ago (iOS app version ago, that is).

Mac mini, MacBook Pro: macOS 10.14.6 (same issue was back on 10.14.5 as well)
    1Password for Mac: 6.8.9 on both Macs

iPad 6, iPhone 7: iOS 12.4.1 (same issue was on 12.3.x)
    1Password iOS: 7.4.2 on both iOS devices

1Password Version: 7.4.2
    OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
    Sync Type: WLAN
    Referrer: forum-search:syncing stays on screen

This discussion has been closed.