1Password Extension vs 1Password X

Jeff9x
Jeff9x
Community Member

I'm using 1Password7 on Mac, have the app installed and showing in the menu bar. At some point I installed 1PasswordX extension into Firefox, and later noticed that I then had two 1Password icons in my Firefox toolbar. Looking inside Firefox I saw the two extensions active so I disabled one of them, leaving X installed. Now my 1Password app keeps telling me to download and install the 1Password Firefox extension. When I click on that notice it takes me to the page to install the extension "OR" X. A bit perplexing, it seems that if I desire to use the features of X and still have the desktop app on my Mac, that desktop app does not know that I've installed X and I'm stuck in a loop. I'm hoping I've done one simple thing incorrectly somewhere, yes? What should I have done differently? Many thanks.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 1.16.0
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jeff9x: I'm sorry for the confusion. It sounds like you have already pretty much answered your question though. 1Password X is designed first and foremost to be completely independent, and run entirely in the browser, since that's the only option for many people. We are working on desktop app integration through, currently in beta for 1Password for Mac and 1Password X in Chrome. So you'd need to use that, or choose either 1Password X or the 1Password desktop app/extension. 1Password for Mac knows nothing about 1Password X outside of the beta, as the latter is meant to work without a native app. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• j4mes
    j4mes
    Community Member

I also found myself in a bit of a confusing loop where I have been urged to install the Firefox extension. I've been using 1P for years, but I was unaware of the difference between 1P X and the regular browser extension as I haven't had a reason to care until now. I had both installed before I went looking for information on the difference between them and stumbled on this post. I don't have a recommendation for a solution to this confusion, but felt it was worth mentioning that @Jeff9x is not alone here.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @j4mes,

We're definitely in a period of transition and we do want this all to be a lot smoother than it is. Eventually we want 1Password X to handle everything but we're not quite there yet. Unfortunately it does make for a bit of confusion given the two extensions exist and both are available from our download page :(

• j4mes
    j4mes
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables Does this mean that the long term vision is that the desktop application will cease to exist? Separately, is 1PX currently considered more secure than the desktop app + browser extension working together?

• Jeff9x
    Jeff9x
    Community Member

Good to know it's an actual thing and is in the process of becoming not a thing at some point. In the meantime, while it's a thing, is there any downside to having both extensions running in a browser? I didn't even notice it for a while and it then only became confusing when noticed, so despite being redundant and not the plan, is there any technical complication or risk if both extensions exist? I do find that I make use of both the extension and the desktop app (via the mini icon in the menu bar), so I might go back to doubling up on the browser icons unless someone here says whoa don't do that because ______.

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member

I was just playing with this over the weekend - on Mac, with 1Password installed for Safari, with 1Password X installed in Firefox.

In my experience, both extensions worked, and the desktop app worked. (Maybe it was necessary to log in once to each at first.) They could co-exist independently. It was only 1Password Mini that was confused. It worked when Safari had the focus, or the most recent focus, and nagged that you should install the (classic) 1Password extension if you tried to use it when Firefox was active. Search still worked in Mini, but if you found a Login, and clicked Go - it would open a tab in Safari. Or would auto-fill if Safari was active.

So - Mini seemed to be the main challenge. I'm not convinced Mini is that critical a component - the desktop app opens instantly for me, so what does Mini provide that the extensions, and the desktop app, don't? Still, it is awkward to see a component not working well.

I didn't attempt to run both extensions in Firefox at the same time. They're both installed, but I've only enabled one at a time.

Is this the sort of problem that will be addressed with desktop integration for Chrome on Mac? Or, is coordination of 2 different extension types on one machine beyond the scope of your project? Perhaps your primary focus is single sign-on.

(And in any event, the integration you're working on for Chrome is not necessarily coming to Firefox anytime soon.)

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member

Actually - tried enabling both extensions in Firefox with interesting results. Mini no longer complained, and was able to work with either Firefox extension at the same time, and with the Safari extension.

On Firefox I could invoke either style to fill in passwords - click in field; or CMD+\ etc.

Interesting! You probably don't have this scenario in the testing plans :).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@j4mes: Great questions!

Does this mean that the long term vision is that the desktop application will cease to exist?

No! While many people are happy using 1Password mostly or entirely in the browser, many of us are quite addicted to the native apps, and I know we've got a lot of customers who feel the same way. ;)

Separately, is 1PX currently considered more secure than the desktop app + browser extension working together?

No. But certainly having 1Password X running entirely in the browser's sandbox means that it isn't as susceptible to interference from other software, the way that antivirus can sometimes block the connection between the desktop app and its extension. You can learn more about the security considerations we've built 1Password X on here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

is there any downside to having both extensions running in a browser? I didn't even notice it for a while and it then only became confusing when noticed, so despite being redundant and not the plan, is there any technical complication or risk if both extensions exist?

@Jeff9: Only really as a matter of usability/confusion. They can both coexist, but if you get them mixed up and/or expect them to work the same and share settings, that can be very disorienting, as you mentioned. So generally we recommend using one or the other. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not convinced Mini is that critical a component - the desktop app opens instantly for me, so what does Mini provide that the extensions, and the desktop app, don't?

@Tonetony: 1Password mini is just a more compact UI for the desktop app, more convenient when using it in the browser. If you're really just using 1Password in the browser, 1Password X may be a better fit for you. Otherwise it would be best to use the 1Password desktop app/extension together, as the app will tell you to install the extension when you invoke it in the browser and don't have it, since that is the only way it can integrate there otherwise.

Is this the sort of problem that will be addressed with desktop integration for Chrome on Mac?

Yes. And once that is complete, we'd like to bring it to Firefox and other browsers on macOS, and also to Windows as well.

Or, is coordination of 2 different extension types on one machine beyond the scope of your project?

I can't think of a good reason why you would need/want to use/coordinate two 1Password extensions in the same browser, since that's pretty redundant, but I'd be curious what you have in mind. Maybe there's something there worth exploring. :)

(And in any event, the integration you're working on for Chrome is not necessarily coming to Firefox anytime soon.)

Probably not soon, so I didn't want to get your hopes up earlier, but it's very much something we want to do. We just need to get things ironed out with 1Password for Mac + Chrome first.

Actually - tried enabling both extensions in Firefox with interesting results. Mini no longer complained, and was able to work with either Firefox extension at the same time, and with the Safari extension. On Firefox I could invoke either style to fill in passwords - click in field; or CMD+\ etc. Interesting! You probably don't have this scenario in the testing plans :).

Hehe. This is how I use 1Password, and I know I am not alone. I wouldn't ever recommend it to customers since even I get confused sometimes, but I'm always happy to do strange, awkward things in service of testing -- to feed two birds with one scone, so to speak -- so users don't have to. ;)

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member

I wrote: Or, is coordination of 2 different extension types on one machine beyond the scope of your project?

@brenty wrote: I can't think of a good reason why you would need/want to use/coordinate two 1Password extensions in the same browser, since that's pretty redundant, but I'd be curious what you have in mind. Maybe there's something there worth exploring. :)

(I don't know how to quote prior comments using this board.)

What I specifically meant in that sentence was coordinating the use of 2 different extensions on the same MACHINE.

On Mac Safari you have to use 1Password.
    On Mac Firefox, you can use either extension.

Normally I prefer to use Safari on Mac, but there are times I choose to, or have to, fall back to Firefox. So, I use both browsers.

And as it turns out, I prefer the 1Password X interface. So I prefer to use it when I can - i.e., when I switch to Firefox.

So that is an example of a situation where you'd have 2 browsers on one machine, one using 1Password and the other using 1Password X.

And that is where coordination can break down - as Mini gets confused if Firefox is active, or was last active, and gripes about the missing Firefox extension. If you do use it (via Search), the "Go" button will launch tabs in Safari.

But yes, installing both extensions in Firefox does solve the Mini problem. It starts to function with whichever browser is currently (or was most recently) active. And both extensions in Firefox work without conflict, so you can use the mouse or keyboard or whatever is most convenient.

So the interesting conclusion is that the best way to get Mini working if you have 2 extensions each in their own browser on one machine (1Password in Safari, 1Password X in Firefox), is to install both extensions in the SAME browser (Firefox).

It's true that switching between extension interfaces could get confusing -- but, arguably no more so than all the other differences we get used to when we switch browsers. They have similar capabilities, but toolbar buttons, bookmarks, reload buttons, reader modes, tab locations and shapes and colors, New tab functionality - are all different. In fact - every browser has a half-dozen ways to invoke each of its own features. Think of how many ways you can get to your bookmarks in each browser.

And even looked at separately, each of the two versions of the 1Password browser extension already offers multiple ways to use them - for instance, shortcut key; right-click context menu; browser toolbar button...

It will be interesting to observe over time what muscle memory develops in Firefox and if I get mixed up in Safari.

I can see why you don't go out of your way to recommend this.... :).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

What I specifically meant in that sentence was coordinating the use of 2 different extensions on the same MACHINE.
    On Mac Safari you have to use 1Password.
    On Mac Firefox, you can use either extension.
    Normally I prefer to use Safari on Mac, but there are times I choose to, or have to, fall back to Firefox. So, I use both browsers.

@Tonetony: Ohhh. Thank you for explaining! Yeah, that's no problem at all. As you noted, the Safari App Extension is bundled with 1Password itself, so you're good there. Then, if you also use Chrome, Firefox, or other supported browsers, you can install the 1Password desktop extension there (which will work with the desktop app) or 1Password X -- or both, but again that's not recommended. ;)

And that is where coordination can break down - as Mini gets confused if Firefox is active, or was last active, and gripes about the missing Firefox extension. If you do use it (via Search), the "Go" button will launch tabs in Safari.
    But yes, installing both extensions in Firefox does solve the Mini problem. It starts to function with whichever browser is currently (or was most recently) active. And both extensions in Firefox work without conflict, so you can use the mouse or keyboard or whatever is most convenient.
    So the interesting conclusion is that the best way to get Mini working if you have 2 extensions each in their own browser on one machine (1Password in Safari, 1Password X in Firefox), is to install both extensions in the SAME browser (Firefox).

Yeah, that sounds like a workable solution for your specific use case, and it sounds like you've got a handle on it, even if I wouldn't recommend it to others. hehe

It's true that switching between extension interfaces could get confusing -- but, arguably no more so than all the other differences we get used to when we switch browsers. They have similar capabilities, but toolbar buttons, bookmarks, reload buttons, reader modes, tab locations and shapes and colors, New tab functionality - are all different. In fact - every browser has a half-dozen ways to invoke each of its own features. Think of how many ways you can get to your bookmarks in each browser.

I can't disagree with that. I'll just say that this is why I think most people only use a single browser. :lol:

And even looked at separately, each of the two versions of the 1Password browser extension already offers multiple ways to use them - for instance, shortcut key; right-click context menu; browser toolbar button...
    It will be interesting to observe over time what muscle memory develops in Firefox and if I get mixed up in Safari.
    I can see why you don't go out of your way to recommend this.... :).

:lol: :+1:

Long term, we want to simplify things. Just not at the expense of native app lovers getting their native app experience, or at the expense of those who cannot or prefer not to use the native apps being able to use 1Password too. I'm not sure what exactly the solution will be, but fortunately we have plenty of work to keep us occupied in the mean time. :)

• Cowbay
    Cowbay
    Community Member

I have a different but related use case. I use the Brave Browser for both MacOS and IOS. As I understand it, Brave is a "de-Google-ized" derivative of Chromium on the Mac and Firefox-based on IOS.

On my Mac I have the 1Password app, and both the "1Password extension" and "1Password X" Chrome extensions are installed and activated in Brave. During installation of 1Password, I was invited to install both, but that was some time ago, and I don't remember how that all came about.

I have always been frustrated and confused by the 1Password user interface, never knowing which 1Password button to click (the one in the MacOS menu bar [Is that what's called "Mini"?], the one in the [Brave] browser menu bar, or the one in the web form field [e.g., email, user id, password, etc]). I have found that I often have to copy and paste from 1Password to the web form (login, password change, etc) rather than have 1Password fill them automatically, or at least that's how it seems. From the discussion above, I can see that having both extensions active at the same time can be at least part of my problem.

Which extension would be recommended for me (if any), when my priority is ease of use? I'm not great at remembering more than a few keyboard shortcuts, and although I'm OK with using my trackpad to click on things, I'm not very good at "drag and drop", as I have two screens, and when I have to drag a long distance, the 'drop' often lands somewhere other than where I intended.

If 1Password X is newer, more secure, more private, or more user-friendly than the 1Password extension that comes with the app, then I might want to use it, if I had access to clear documentation on how to overcome the confusion I have experienced as described above.

Thanks.

• Indeed, we generally don't recommend using both extensions side-by-side. 1Password X certainly seems to be receiving more development attention at the moment, but the difficulty is that it doesn't integrate with 1Password for Mac. E.g. If 1Password for Mac is unlocked, and you try to open 1Password X, you may have to unlock it as well, whereas the desktop extension would lock/unlock with 1Password for Mac. That functionality is currently in beta testing for 1Password X. Personally I prefer 1Password X most of the time, but it is really personal preference.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.