how to enter url so it will fill passwords for apps

Options
tom_h
tom_h
Community Member

How can I enter a url so that when I open an app on my device (e.g. iPhone), it will automatically know that it should suggest the password for that app? I know there was some type of special syntax I used before, but I can't seem to find it in my entries ... For example, I think you could enter something like: myapp://login into the url field, and when you were in the app, and then tapped in the username and/or password field, it would automatically find the entry that I wanted, without have to open up all the login items, then find the one I want, and then try selecting it to see if the password will be filled properly. Thanks in advance for the help.

1Password Version: 7.32
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password account
Referrer: forum-search:how to enter url so it will fill passwords for apps

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tom_h!

In most cases, this should happen automatically and 1Password should understand what app you are in. What app is this happening with so we can test it?

• tom_h
    tom_h
    Community Member
    Options

I think it has happened for a few, but the one I remember most recently is Tavour. If I find others, I will add them to the list as well.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tom_h Just to be clear, are you having trouble filling an item automatically in Tavour, as you initially described, or is your Login item for that account not filling in the app whatsoever, even by the standard a-couple-taps method? And are you using the 1Password iOS extension or iOS 12's Password AutoFill with 1Password?

• tom_h
    tom_h
    Community Member
    Options

I am using the auto-fill feature. When I get to a login screen, I see the Passwords section at the top of the keyboard. I tap it, and it opens 1Password, but then I have to search for which login item to use to populate the fields, instead of it suggesting that I use a specific login item. I am pretty sure I have seen this work before, but I don't know the specific app. Also, there was some way I entered the url for a login item as an additional url that seemed to make this work, but that is what I can't remember. I have many hundreds of login items, so I can't really open each one individually, but I don't know of a way to search for it either, so I couldn't find this out on my own.

I did test this out on another app (AAA), and when I logged out and then back in, it has a separate username and password screen. When tapping in the username field, I was not presented with the Passwords section at the top of the keyboard (I am assuming b/c it is not a password field, which is fine), but after I entered that, when I tapped into the password field on the next screen, I was shown the Passwords section, and when I clicked that, it opened 1Password, and the only item in the list was AAA. Compare this to when I do the same when logging into the Tavour app (and others), I get a list of ALL my login items, and then have to search for what login I am looking for. I hope this helps you understand a little more. If you need more info, please let me know.

• Ben
    Options

@tom_h

Some apps don't have explicit support for autofill yet (e.g. Tavour), or have varying levels of support for autofill (e.g. AAA). In Tavour's case it appears they haven't defined an Associated Domain for their app. For AAA, they appear to not be designating their username field as part of their login form (which is why you have to tap into the password field first to get the autofill feature to show). Unfortunately in those cases there isn't anything you or we can do to improve that; those apps would need to update with improvements to their login forms and/or Associated Domain listing. Fortunately Apple designed autofill in such a way that it will work to some degree even in apps that have not updated to add any sort of autofill support at all.

Ben

• OnePswrd
    OnePswrd
    Community Member
    Options

I have been using 1Password since the early 2000's. In that time it has been very consistent to bring up the proper login info for the site asking for it. Since 1Password 7 this is NOT happening. I have been forced to click on the dropdown and ask for the 'suggested' login and password. What's up? Is there a fix?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OnePswrd: What have you set 1Password Preferences > Mini > Open 1Password To?

• OnePswrd
    OnePswrd
    Community Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Wow, who knew!
    I thought suggesting the proper logon info was 'default'. I don't know why it would not always be that way.
    But, that said, it seems that that was my solution. I have changed the preference to 'Open to Suggestions'.
    Thanks for the advice!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OnePswrd, on behalf of brenty, you are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OnePswrd: "Suggestions" is the default. That setting did not exist at all until version 7.3.1. But you're not alone in changing settings and only then discovering what they do. happens to me all the time. :lol: :+1:

• OnePswrd
    OnePswrd
    Community Member
    Options

Whatever! I have changed the preference and while I haven't used 1Password a lot today (yard work-ugh.) it seems to be working like my old 1Password 6 app.
    Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! And good luck with the yard work! I guess that's one reason to look forward to winter. hehe

This discussion has been closed.