I installed 1PW 7 to my new travel computer, MacBook Air, but it doesn't work as it does on my macOS

mcraft
mcraft
Community Member

I installed 1PW 7 to my new travel computer, MacBook Air, but it doesn't work as it does on my macOS desktop. (I think I transferred by copying the app over to the new computer from the old.) On the old, when a website asks for password I click the 1PW icon in the browser bar and the info is inserted into the appropriate fields on the web page. On the MBA, however, while the 1PW icon is showing on the Safari bar, clicking it opens the suggested username/password info for the site, but that info is not inserted into the website's log-in fields. (The only thing to do is to individually copy and paste the UN and PW.) What have I done wrong? (I hope my explanation makes sense.)

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:I installed 1PW 7 to my new travel computer, MacBook Air, but it doesn't work as it does on my macOS desktop. (I think I transferred by copying the app over to the new computer from the old.) On the old, when a website asks for password I click the 1PW icon in the browser bar and the info is inserted into the appropriate fields on the web page. On the MBA, however, while the 1PW icon is showing on the Safari bar, clicking it opens the suggested username/password info for the site, but that info is not inserted into the website's log-in fields. (The only thing to do is to individually copy and paste the UN and PW.) What have I done wrong? (I hope my explanation makes sense.)

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mcraft: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Can you tell me which browser version(s) you're using there? There are some things you can check as far as setup in this guide:

Use 1Password in Safari on your Mac

But if you'll give me more info I should be able to point you in the right direction. :)

• mcraft
    mcraft
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

Sorryu, I forgot to include the browser info: Safari Version 12.1.2. I've attached a screen shot of what 1PW brings up when I click on the icon in the browser top bar.

[sensitive information removed; this is a public forum]

• mcraft
    mcraft
    Community Member

Sorryu = sorry !

• Hi @mcraft

This is a public forum, so please try to avoid posting any sensitive information. Anyone on the internet can see what you post here. As your screenshot contained a password, I've removed it. I strongly suggest that you change that password as soon as possible:

Change your passwords and make them stronger | 1Password

As to the issue you're having... could you please check the item in question and make sure it has a website field on it that is filled in with the URL to the login page?

Ben

ref: VPM-21642-954

• mcraft
    mcraft
    Community Member

Thanks for the reminder about security. (That wasn't too smart on my end!)

I'm sorry, but I don't know that you mean about the "website" field on the "item in question." On my iMac, clicking on the 1PW icon brings up a suggested log-in that I simply click on to fill the fields on the webpage I'm logging into. on the laptop version, clicking on the 1PW icon brings up the screen I previously showed, with nothing to click in order to fill the fields.

• Thanks for the reminder about security.

Happy to help.

I'm sorry, but I don't know that you mean about the "website" field on the "item in question." On my iMac, clicking on the 1PW icon brings up a suggested log-in that I simply click on to fill the fields on the webpage I'm logging into. on the laptop version, clicking on the 1PW icon brings up the screen I previously showed, with nothing to click in order to fill the fields.

When you view / edit your login, in addition to having a username and password, it should also have a website. That field should contain the URL to the page you want to use that login on:

Does that help?

Ben

• mcraft
    mcraft
    Community Member

Yes, it shows the filled "website" field, but that doesn't help. I'm wanting 1PW to perform like it has on all the other computers I've owned, as mentioned in my previous posts here. (Also, when I open that edit screen, 1PW freezes about half the time and I have to force close it.).

In sum, 1PW will bring up a list of suggested log-ins, but there's nothing I can click on that fills the UN/PW on the website.

• @mcraft

Yes, it shows the filled "website" field, but that doesn't help. I'm wanting 1PW to perform like it has on all the other computers I've owned, as mentioned in my previous posts here.

I completely understand. I'm trying to figure out why it isn't doing that for you. :)

In sum, 1PW will bring up a list of suggested log-ins, but there's nothing I can click on that fills the UN/PW on the website.

If you open the 1Password for Mac app do you see a button that says "Read Only"? To use 1Password 7 for Mac fully you must either be signed into a 1Password membership (subscription) account, or have a 1Password 7 for Mac license applied. If you have an account you may not be signed in. If you've purchased a license you may need to apply that. Please note that 1Password 7 is a separate purchase from 1Password 6 unless using a membership.

(Also, when I open that edit screen, 1PW freezes about half the time and I have to force close it.).

The next time this happens, while 1Password is frozen, please send us a process sample and a diagnostic report. To create a diagnostic report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

To generate the process sample:

1. Open the Activity Monitor application (you can use Spotlight to find it) and search for "1Password 7"
    2. Select 1Password 7 in the list and choose "Sample Process" from the Gear icon in the toolbar.
    3. When it is finished, save the sample to a file.

Attach the diagnostics and sample to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/106591/i-installed-1pw-7-to-my-new-travel-computer-macbook-air-but-it-doesnt-work-as-it-does-on-my-macos#latest
    • Your forum username: mcraft

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Ben

• mcraft
    mcraft
    Community Member

I'm traveling right now, but flying back to my office in a few hours. I'll wait until I get back to my desktop to compare the 1PW performances and then get back to you. Thanks for the help so far.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mcraft - no worries! Take your time; we'll be here. :)

• mcraft
    mcraft
    Community Member

It's all my mistake! (No surprise there.) My data and license, etc were for v 6 and I had dowloaded v.7 to the new computer. I fixed it by going back to v.6 in the new computer and all works well. Apologies for wasting your time, but I appreciate your support and responses. All the best...

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2019

Thanks for the update @mcraft. We can't recommend using an older version. 1Password 6 has been retired and is no longer being updated. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to revert to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. That said, licenses never expire, and so you can continue using any version you've licensed for as long as it works for you. Reverting to version 6 should be considered a temporary measure. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it. For example, the upcoming Safari 13 will be using an all new extension framework, and as such will not work with v6.

Ben

• mcraft
    mcraft
    Community Member

Thanks for the tips. I don't want to get into another monthly-paid subscription service. I've loved 1PW and I would purchase an upgrade, but not a subscription for another $50 (CAD) per year. Thanks again!

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

You can get a stand-alone license as well, you can buy it directly in the app (the version you download from 1password.com/download, the App-Store version only supports subscriptions). That is fine in case you only use on platform, if you use several platforms a subscription might be cheaper in the long run, especially if your family uses it too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yep. Something to consider. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.