Feature Request: Ability to regenerate password from 1Password quick menu

NomadUK
NomadUK
Community Member

As far as I can tell, there seems to be no way to replace an existing password from within the 1Password quick menu (the one that drops down when clicking in the 1Password icon in the menu bar). This happens often, as many sites cause their passwords to expire after a given interval. I have to launch the 1Password app, find the appropriate item again, and regenerate the password that way.

Either I'm missing something or this feature is missing. It should not be too easy to accidentally trigger, and it should allow for easily cancellation of the task if I change my mind. But I shouldn't have to launch the app just to do this.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004) 1Password Sto
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @NomadUK

Thanks for taking the time to write in. This is already possible. :) We have a guide on how to do it available here:

Change your passwords and make them stronger | 1Password

If you run into any roadblocks along the way please let me know what it is that trips you up. Thanks!

Ben

• NomadUK
    NomadUK
    Community Member

Yes, I know about that. But that generates a new password item; it doesn't replace the password in the existing item (the example itself shows that). If I want to replace the password in the existing item, I have to launch the app, find the item, click Edit, and then generate a new password. I want a command in the quick menu that performs this function.

• @NomadUK

You are correct that is what step 2 does. What you're asking for is covered in step 3 in the guide. :)

Ben

• NomadUK
    NomadUK
    Community Member

Ah. Okay, I see that now. I guess I would say that perhaps the UI on that is a bit obscure; it makes it look as though one is creating a new password item rather than editing the existing one, and you don't know that the option exists to replace the existing one until after you've done step 2. The choice of which action is being taken (creating a new password item or editing the existing one) should be chosen by the user at the beginning, so that the user is aware of the path being taken. If the UI requires that the user explore it all the way to the end to figure out how it works, I think it's failed in its purpose.

• Thanks @NomadUK. I think you're probably right that this is an area we could do better in. We'll do some brainstorming. :+1:

Ben

• NomadUK
    NomadUK
    Community Member

Cheers!

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.