How to remove (permanently) logins from a 1Password 7 installation and one more related question.

diitto
diitto
Community Member

So how do I remove (permanently) some logins from an installation of 1Password 7 I own on an older MacBook Pro such that I can keep some logins on that install but remove some others such that they will be gone forever from that install, not just relegated to the trash from which they can easily be restored. I'm sure I should know this but just don't.

Then, related, on an even older MacBook Pro that is running 1Password 6, how do I uninstall 1Password from that machine such that the application, vault and all are gone??? How do I clean 1Password completely from that older machine???

Holler back... thanks...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hey, @diitto.

I'm not a 1Password team member, but in regards to completely uninstall/delete 1Password from your MacBook, you can follow these steps. About permanently deleting an item, it depends... I believe that if you only have a stand-alone license, then by emptying the Trash an item would be permanently deleted. However, if you have a 1Password membership, then you'd need to:

1. Sign in to your account through 1password.com
    2. Go to the Vault where the item is located
    3. Find the item and delete it by clicking Edit > Move to Trash
    4. Then click Trash > Empty Trash
    5. Click View Archived Items
    6. To permanently remove an item forever and ever click Destroy

In any case, wait for an official confirmation from a team member. Hope that helps :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@diitto: I'd exercise caution to you or anyone else trying to destroy data. There are some things that cannot be undone, and I'd hate for anyone to nuke something and have regrets later.

I will also say that in addition to arturoaubry's comments above about the built-in backup/restore functionality of 1Password memberships, when using 1Password as a standalone app (i.e. without a membership) it also saves backup archives periodically to its support folder. So if you are really sure you want to wipe out everything, you'd need to delete those as well.

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Sorry, I didn't get any notification that you guys had responded and I just today remembered to log in and see if anyone had answered that questions. To date, I have always and only used stand alone licenses and I don't have any shared vaults stored in the cloud or anything like that. I love 1Password and I use it on three different devices but all of them have their own self contained vaults. No sharing. It's just been my experience that the small advantage of having shared logins is far outweighed by the potential damage done if the 1Password cloud storage gets hacked. And I do have ways that I backup all my data such that I would never lose the one vault that I use many times a day on one of my devices.

But I just have some older deployments that I would like to have go away permanently. But first, let's talk about what is in my current deployments TRASH folder. I now and then make a new and better login for some site and after I'm convinced it's better, I drag the older login to the TRASH. I have some there now. So as an exercise, say I want to permanently delete those logins. I see Trash --> Empty Trash as arturoaubry speaks of above. But where is "View Archived Items". I don't see such anywhere. Again, I have a stand alone license and now 1password account where I store anything in the cloud. Is that why I would not see "View Archived Items" or am I missing where that command my reside??? Let's start there... Holler back... thanks...

Hmmm, and how do I turn on "notify me when someone responds"??? Thought I had that set up but I didn't get any notifications for the above responses???

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Hmmm, I did just check my notification preferences and I am set up to receive email when someone responds to a post I have made. Worked on the previous post I made back in July but did not appear to work when arturoaubry and brenty responded to the discussion above... I never miss an email and I keep them all. Did not get any notification for the above so likely won't if you guys respond to what I've asked here... But I will come by and look now and then.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@diitto: Sorry about that. Our forum provider had some issues with email notifications recently. It should be resolved now, so hopefully you'll receive one for this comment. :)

Briefly, I would like to clarify an apparent inaccuracy here though, in case it helps you or anyone else:

It's just been my experience that the small advantage of having shared logins is far outweighed by the potential damage done if the 1Password cloud storage gets hacked.

I am assuming you just misspoke, because that hasn't been anyone's experience, as the 1Password server getting "hacked" would not result in damage to 1Password users, because we never have the "keys" to decrypt anyone's data. Everything is encrypted locally on your device, and neither the Master Password nor the (128-bit, randomly-generated) Secret Key are ever transmitted to us. So, very literally, you are always the only one with the ability to access your data, because no one else will have what's needed to decrypt it.

But where is "View Archived Items". I don't see such anywhere. Again, I have a stand alone license and now 1password account where I store anything in the cloud.

You would only have Archived Items/Item History with a 1Password membership account. It wasn't clear from your original post that you didn't, but now that we know that it isn't relevant in your case. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Hi Brenty, Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I did get an email this time notifying me that there was a response to my latest post. So what I think I heard, regarding permanently deleting any logins I might no longer want to be recoverable is simply to put them in the TRASH and then empty the TRASH, right??? Then no one could recover that login, not even me, right???

Is there an UNINSTALL capability for 1Password 6?? Or for 1Password 7?? Again, I still have an older deployment of 1Password 6 on an older computer where I don't intend to use 1Password further. It sounds like I can delete saved logins permanently but what about removing 1Password completely from the machine. Or if not an UNINSTALLER program, can you share what paths and what files one might go get and move to the trash to accomplish the same UNINSTALL function??? Just wanting to tidy up what is sitting on an older MacBook Pro that I only use now to test new macOS updates and things like that.

Holler back when you can... thanks...

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

I do have, by the way, the installer packages from any installs I've done. I always keep the latest one. For 1Password6, I have "1Password-6.5.5.pkg". If I again ran that package on a machine that already has that version installed, might an option be to UNINSTALL that software??? I seen that capability here and there with certain company's software. Can't recall if 1Password was ever one of them. An, how to UNINSTALL 1Password completely, either under program control or by manually deleting files??? thanks...

• @ditto

You'd also need to delete any backups that contain the data you're trying to delete in order to make it unrecoverable. For removing the application... there isn't an uninstaller, but dragging the 1Password application to the Trash, restarting your Mac, and then emptying the Trash will uninstall 1Password. You may also need to separately remove the 1Password extension from your browser, if installed.

Ben

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Thanks Ben... I just checked on my current computer, not the one I would choose to delete, this computer now running 1Password 7.3.2 (stand alone license) and I see the backups. Way deep folder. I will soon go check the older computer running 1Password 6.5.5, the one where I would really choose to delete all the Logins. It's actually OK if the 1Password app is left behind as long as I can permanently delete all logins, including all those in backups. I trust I could just drag the contents of the backup folder to the TRASH and empty???

So move any current logins to the TRASH and then select EMPTY TRASH fro within 1Password. Then go to where the backups are stored and move those files to the main TRASH and then empty that TRASH. That should get it, right???? thanks...

• I trust I could just drag the contents of the backup folder to the TRASH and empty???

I don't see why not. :)

So move any current logins to the TRASH and then select EMPTY TRASH fro within 1Password. Then go to where the backups are stored and move those files to the main TRASH and then empty that TRASH. That should get it, right???? thanks...

That all sounds right. :+1:

Ben

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Thanks Ben.... bob

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.