Have version 6 and 7 in mac mac but I lost ability to auto fill in both of them

ttfiji
ttfiji
Community Member

I am a long term mac user with a Matchbook pro and OS10.14.6. Up to recently I was using v6.8.9 without a problems, then accidentally uploaded v7.3.2 and safari extension 7.3.2 but lost the ability to autofill with both versions of the application. When trying to log in in a web site I need to manually copy the log in information to the web site form.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Have version 6 and 7 in mac mac but I lost ability to auto fill in both of them

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ttfiji: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Which version of Safari are you using? Having multiple copies of 1Password is going to cause problems no matter what, but we'll need to make sure of compatibility with Safari first. Thanks in advance!

• ttfiji
    ttfiji
    Community Member

Thank you Brenty. I am using Safari v 12.1.2 which I believe is the latest. If your recommendation will be to eliminate one of the versions of 1Password, I would appreciate your advise on how to safely eliminate version 6 and keep/enable version 7 (for which I will need to pay for the standalone version). Thank you again.

• Thanks @ttfiji. We'd be happy to help with that. You can remove version 6 by dragging the application from the Applications folder to the Trash, removing the v4 extension from Safari if installed, restarting your Mac, and then emptying the trash. Then launch 1Password and Safari and make sure the v7 extension shows up in Safari. You can view installed Safari extensions in Safari > Preferences > Extensions.

1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If you decide to purchase a license for v7 instead you can do that from the welcome screen by selecting the "need a license? We have those too" link.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• ttfiji
    ttfiji
    Community Member

Thank you Ben. The main reason I am considering the standalone license for v7 is that I don't need syncing (I just use one MBP and one iPhone), and I don't feel comfortable storing or syncing my passwords in servers in the cloud. Given these conditions, does it make sense to get a subscription for v7? Another question: can I get a standalone family license for v7?

• @ttfiji

Thanks for the additional information.

The main reason I am considering the standalone license for v7 is that I don't need syncing (I just use one MBP and one iPhone)

Do you not plan to have the data synced between your MacBook Pro and iPhone?

and I don't feel comfortable storing or syncing my passwords in servers in the cloud

You're right to be cautious about how and where you store your data. This is a subject we don't take lightly. Our entire reputation is staked on our ability to keep the data people store in 1Password safe. 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted. This means that your passwords are never sent anywhere or stored as such. They are encrypted using the Master Password that you choose (as well as your Secret Key if you opt for membership) before going anywhere. This means that the keys that encrypt your data are never available to us or to anyone you don’t explicitly share your data with. You can read more about the protection the Secret Key provides to data stored on 1Password.com here:

About your Secret Key

Given these conditions, does it make sense to get a subscription for v7?

I think that it does, given the above, but we'd be happy to discuss further if you still aren't convinced.

Another question: can I get a standalone family license for v7?

Standalone licenses are sold per-person, per-platform, and per-version. For example a 1Password 7 for Mac license allows one person to use 1Password v7 on any number of Macs. Anyone else using 1Password, even on those same Macs, would need their own license. 1Password Families membership is our solution for families looking to use and share 1Password, and that will almost certainly be much more cost effective than buying the various licenses you'd need.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Ben

• ttfiji
    ttfiji
    Community Member

Thank you Ben.

1. I followed your instructions to eliminate v6 so I have only v7 on my MBP, and I see the v7 extension in Safari but still autofill does not work. I am only offered the choice of "copy" to enter the credentials in the web site form.
    2. I definitely will not send my passwords to the cloud. At this point I have v7 working without a license because I passed the apparently single opportunity to buy the license when you first open 1password and I don't know how to buy the license now.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I followed your instructions to eliminate v6 so I have only v7 on my MBP, and I see the v7 extension in Safari but still autofill does not work. I am only offered the choice of "copy" to enter the credentials in the web site form.

@ttfiji: What do you see in Safari Preferences > Extensions? A screenshot would be great. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to include anything sensitive in the screenshot, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

I definitely will not send my passwords to the cloud.

To clarify, neither do we. All data in 1Password is encrypted locally using "keys" which only the user ever has, and they are never transmitted to the server. So "the cloud" only ever has an encrypted blob, which can only be decrypted by you. Because of that, even if the encrypted data is stolen, it is useless without an attacker getting the keys to decrypt it from you directly. We're not comfortable with keeping our own passwords or customers' on an internet server, as that would be an opportunity for someone to steal them, which would be bad for everyone involved -- except the attacker, I guess; they'd probably be happier about that. :)

At this point I have v7 working without a license because I passed the apparently single opportunity to buy the license when you first open 1password and I don't know how to buy the license now.

I think that's your problem: without a membership (which includes all the apps and updates) or a license for that version, filling isn't an option. You'll be in "read only" mode in that case. You can purchase a license from the "read only" notice -- though I'd recommend the membership since then you won't have to worry about this again, and you'll have the additional security and convenience of the account across all your devices, now and in the future.

Let me know if you have any questions!

This discussion has been closed.