OPVault support

slessard
slessard
Community Member

I would like to upgrade from 1Password6 on Mac to 1Password 7, but the change from AgileKeychain to OPVault concerns me. I have several devices Macs running different versions of OS X/MacOS and different versions of 1Password. Same for my iOS devices; some are running different versions of iOS and different versions of 1Password. On some of those devices the OS is the "latest," but still outdated. In short I am learly of changing from AgileKeychain to OPVault because I am afraid I'll effectively lose access to 1Password on those older devices. I read that the OPVault format was introduced a long time ago and some versions and platforms of 1Password have supported the OPVault format for differing amounts of time.

What I would like to know is which versions/platforms of 1Password support the OPVault format? Please be specific. (I imagine the answer is a simple matrix)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@slessard: Thanks for getting in touch! There's no need to worry because OPVault has been around for the better part of a decade already now, and even if something does go wrong due to the age of the data you're working with you'd still have the original vault. Unfortunately as far as compatibility with your devices I can't offer any specifics or advice really because you have omitted all the version details from your post. But if you'll let me know the OS and 1Password versions you're using on each device I can offer some guidance. :)

• slessard
    slessard
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

I was hoping for an generalized answer that could be used by anyone asking the same question.

Platform      |   OPVault has been supported since 1Password version
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    MacOS         |
    iOS           |
    Android       |
    Windows       |

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2019

Unfortunately I don't have a matrix like that to offer. I can say that it is compatible with 1Password 7 for Mac, iOS, Windows, and Android, and that it is also compatible with 1Password 5 and 6 for Mac, 1Password 6 for iOS, and 1Password 4 for Windows. It is not compatible with 1Password 6 for Windows.

Ben

• slessard
    slessard
    Community Member

I've read that OPVault has been supported for a long time, but you are telling me you have no idea when it was first supported?
    If I upgrade my Mac to 1Password7 then I am committing to OPVault everywhere. I cannot upgrade and "see what happens" on my devices with no upgrade path. I feel my question is quite simple and reasonable. For each platform what was the first version of 1Password to support OPVault format?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2019

@slessard: Ben is correct. If memory serves, the first overall was probably 1Password for Mac in 2013. The exact date and version it was first supported varies depending on the platform you're talking about, and I'm not going to go back through all of the release notes to try to figure that out in 2019. That seems academic, as "first supported" is irrelevant if the version you're actually using supports OPVault. If you'd just let me what you're using, like I suggested originally, I can advise you accordingly. :)

• slessard
    slessard
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

Here's what I have

OS      | OS version | 1Password version
    --------|------------|------------------
    iOS     | 6.1.6      | 4.3.2
    iOS     | 9.3.5      | 6.7.1
    iOS     | 9.3.2      | 6.8.2
    iOS     | 12.4       | 7.2.7
    Android | 5.0        | 7.2
    OS X    | 10.6.8     | 3.8.2
    macOS   | 10.13.6    | 6.8.9

• Hi @slessard

Are you currently syncing these devices using Agile Keychain? And it is working with the others you mentioned?

iOS | 6.1.6 | 4.3.2
    OS X | 10.6.8 | 3.8.2

I would not anticipate that to be the case with OPVault, though I'm also surprised they are working with Agile Keychain. I realize these devices are expensive and we're not financial consultants, but from a security perspective being stuck with an OS that is multiple major versions out of date and is connected to the internet is far less than ideal.

In short: I can't guarantee that the oldest of each iOS device and Mac will work with OPVault.

Ben

• slessard
    slessard
    Community Member

Are you saying that these will work with OPVault?

iOS     | 9.3.5      | 6.7.1
    iOS     | 9.3.2      | 6.8.2
    iOS     | 12.4       | 7.2.7
    Android | 5.0        | 7.2
    macOS   | 10.13.6    | 6.8.9

• @slessard

Yes; I wouldn't anticipate any issues with any of those.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@slessard: The issue you'll run into is syncing. iCloud will not be available in all those setups, and there was a split a while back where Apple changed it dramatically and old OSes could not sync data with newer ones. Somewhat similarly, Dropbox changed their sync APIs a few years ago, and only newer versions of 1Password know about those changes. But Ben is correct that OPVault is supported in the app versions in your last post. The Mac with 1Password 3 and the iOS something-or-other with 1Password 4, however, were created before OPVault was and therefore won't support it.

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @slessard,

I'd like to ask how your move to OPVault has gone. I also want to take the opportunity to tell you (and everyone else) that I very strongly recommend moving to OPVault (or 1password.com) from the AgileKeychain format. When we first introduced OPVault in late 2012 (yes, seven years ago) we said (correctly at the time) that AgileKeychain Format was still secure, but OPVault was designed to meet the security needs and threats of the future. It's now the future.

All of the versions you list fully support OPVault.

This discussion has been closed.