1PasswordX vs 1Password mini

I am very happy with 1PasswordX (Chrome/Firefox), but I still need to run 1Password mini for logins with Safari. As a result, I am constantly being prompted to install the browser addons when using 1Password mini. Is there some way to turn off this prompt?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 1.16
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: IPassword

Comments

• Hi @BlackWoxs,

We have desktop app integration for 1Password X currently in beta. This update will allow 1Password X to communicate with 1Password mini. One of the benefits of that is you won't get the prompt to install the extension anymore. If you're interested in trying out the beta you can read more about that here:

Introducing Desktop App Integration for Mac! 🎉 — 1Password Forum

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• BlackWoxs
    BlackWoxs
    Community Member

Thank you, swapped over to the beta - will see how things go.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member

I hope it's okay I chime in here, but I think some of us were just discussing this here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/106554/1password-extension-vs-1password-x

The topic evolved into a discussion of this same issue - using both Safari, and Firefox with 1Password X, and the annoyance of Mini often prompting to add the (classic) Firefox extension.

What worked for me was to install both extensions in Firefox, and keep them both enabled there. They don't seem to conflict, and you can then use either in Firefox as you please, while continuing to use the classic extension in Safari. Mini will work with whichever browser - Safari or Firefox - has focus. (And I think will launch new tabs in whichever one last had focus, if neither one does currently.)

Without desktop integration, it means you'd have to sign in to each of them separately, with their own settings in terms of when to lock themselves; and I suppose there are other inefficiencies, like presumably each separately synchronizing with the 1Password server - things that are not relevant to your question.

As 1Password support has said here many times, Firefox integration isn't on the immediate horizon, just Chrome.

Now, would attempting this trick break Mini if you are also using the beta for Chrome integration with desktop? I don't know, as I don't use Chrome, but you'd find out. But if that happened, perhaps you could back off the beta and just use this trick in Chrome too. I'm guessing it would work.

End of my intrusion.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tonetony: No intrusion. :) That's all correct. I'd like to clarify this bit though, in case it helps you or anyone else:

As 1Password support has said here many times, Firefox integration isn't on the immediate horizon, just Chrome.

We're working on integrating 1Password X and 1Password for Mac currently in beta, and there is not at this time a Firefox beta. We'd like to offer a beta for Firefox in the future, and ideally once the integration is complete with Chrome, that should work with Firefox on the Mac too, thought there may be some tweaking necessary. That might be a good opportunity for us to launch a Firefox beta.

Essentially, we're being cautious about promising anything because this integration is very complex and a lot of work, and not yet complete. So we're not in a position to say when desktop app integration will make its way to other OS and browser combinations because we don't know when this one will be done, and that's the first step. I'm sure we'll have more to share in the future though. ;)

Now, would attempting this trick break Mini if you are also using the beta for Chrome integration with desktop?

We haven't seen that, but if anyone does we'd love to hear about it so we can investigate.

This discussion has been closed.