Invite a family member with an individual account

Max77
Max77
Community Member

Hello,

when I invite a family member wh has an individual account then 1Password creates a new account with the same mail address. I've tested it with test accounts. Is it possible that I can use the individual account for the new familiy member?

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Customer here, so I'm speaking from my experience.
    It is not possible to "adopt" an individual account into a family account. However I don't see much of a problem in having two 1Password accounts on one device, because you can have all of the vaults in 1Password sitting next to eachother and this works just fine.
    If your family member wants to get rid of his individual account, he could migrate all the data he has there into the "Private" vault, that is created for him and where only he has access to.
    Then afterwards and if he is 110% positive everything has been migrated, he can remove payment info from his invididual account and it will fall into freeze mode.
    After a few weeks or month time if he does not miss anything, he could logout the account on his device(s9 and even delete the individual account.

• Hi @Max77

As Manaburner mentioned (thanks for the assist @Manaburner), it isn't possible to merge an individual membership into a 1Password Families membership. When you invite someone to join your family they are indeed going to have to create a new account within the family membership. They can either keep their individual membership as well and use both, or move the data from the individual membership into their vaults in the family membership and then delete the individual membership.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Alleng
    Alleng
    Community Member

I have an individual account. I want to "invite" a family member and upgrade to a "family account". When I log into my 1Password account in my Chrome browser, there is no "invite" link to click on in the sidebar. Any suggestions?

• Hi @Alleng

Thanks for your interest in 1Password Families. Are you subscribed through Apple or other 3rd party billing provider? If so please reach out to our billing team at support+billing@1password.com to get switched over to direct billing so that you can upgrade. :)

Ben

• WinkB
    WinkB
    Community Member

I have the same question for windows

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WinkB! Welcome to the forum!

There have been a few questions in this discussion already, can you please let us know what you are trying to do?

• WinkB
    WinkB
    Community Member

I have a free personal account installed. But I want to invite my wife for Password families. I don't find a button ïnvitations"

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @WinkB. Are you currently subscribed via Apple?

• WinkB
    WinkB
    Community Member

no

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

@WinkB:

Then you should definitely see the Invitations link. Can you please share a screenshot of what you are seeing when you login to your account in a browser, where the menu is (on the right side of the web page)?

• WinkB
    WinkB
    Community Member

I have created a new account, a 1password family account, after I saw the advice of Ben. Now I have an invitations button. But I had to do my input all over again. Quite a hassle. In the personal account was no button for invitations. Is it possible to make an upgrade link in the personal account, so that people can upgrade without losing data? Can you work on that?

• WinkB
    WinkB
    Community Member

I have deleted the personal account

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

@WinkB:

In the personal account was no button for invitations. Is it possible to make an upgrade link in the personal account, so that people can upgrade without losing data?

If you did not see the Invitations link, it means that billing was handled externally: either via Apple subscription or via a Google Play subscription.

It's a pity that you did not share a screenshot with me, I would have loved to help you upgrade without going through the extra effort of creating a new account.

In addition to the Invitations link, you can convert your existing account also through the Settings, again in the web app. For future reference, here are the steps:

1. Sign in to your account on 1Password.com.
    2. Select Settings on the right side.
    3. Under the section Change Account Type, select Convert to Families.
  • WinkB
    WinkB
    Community Member

Thank you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad Ana was able to help. We're here if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.