I want my second user account on my iMac to be able to access 1Password and its only vault

john_golding
john_golding
Community Member

I have been using 1 Password for years on my iMac as a general user (no admin privileges) but now I want to give the iMac admin account access to 1Password and its primary vault.
How do I:
1. Get access to the 1Password app for Admin? Do I need to install another copy of 1Password as admin (such as the trial version) and if so how do I give it my account details and license info?
2. As Admin how do I access the primary vault from my general user? (the general user will maintain the primary vault)
Is this what the family version is all about? I don't use any clouds as I prefer to keep everything under my control.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @john_golding!

1. Get access to the 1Password app for Admin? Do I need to install another copy of 1Password as admin (such as the trial version) and if so how do I give it my account details and license info?

Yes, you need to install 1Password in your second user account. To apply the license to that app too, just double-click on your license file, or select 1Password from the menu bar > License... and apply it from there.

1. As Admin how do I access the primary vault from my general user? (the general user will maintain the primary vault)

The Primary vault is the same, so both users will maintain it. When you install 1Password on your second user account, choose the location where your 1Password data is stored and you will import your Primary vault.

Is this what the family version is all about?

No, that's an entirely separate offering for multiple users who want to use 1Password and share information with each other in a secure way.

• john_golding
    john_golding
    Community Member

Thank you for your prompt and informative response. I have followed your advice and now have it installed and running.
    There is only 1 issue and that is that I can't access the master primary vault due to file and directory permissions. Will it have to be moved to a sub-directory that can be accessed by both users?
    I got a working copy by exporting the complete vault as a .1pif file and importing it to the other user.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@john_golding:

There is only 1 issue and that is that I can't access the master primary vault due to file and directory permissions. Will it have to be moved to a sub-directory that can be accessed by both users?

Yes, both users will have to have permissions to access the vault. This vault is completely local, correct, and not synced anywhere?

• john_golding
    john_golding
    Community Member

What is the correct way to move the master primary vault to a common sub-directory?
    The only place that I can see the vault location is in Preferences/Sync but there doesn't appear to be a way to specify a new location.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@john_golding:

I don't think that this is a supported configuration with a local vault, unless you configure folder sync.

• john_golding
    john_golding
    Community Member

I thought that might be the case. (I will just do an occasional export and import)
    Thank you for your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.