using iCloud & 1password on iPhone 4s

Options
bree
bree
Community Member

I am a long-time user of 1Password on my Mac desktop. I have gone ahead & synced the 1Password data to my iCloud account, and would now like to be able to access that 1Password data on my iPhone 4s. (The iPhone 4S is not compatible with the 1Passsword App,so I gather the only way to get around this is iCloud?)

Everything is synced, as directed, but now I don't know how to access my logins & passwords from the iCloud to my iPhone (when login information is requested at a website using Safari, for example)

I am not very familiar with iCloud, so apologies if I've missed the obvious here.

1Password Version: 6.89
Extension Version: 6.89
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.4 & iOS 9.35
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:use iCloud with 1password on iPhone 4s

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bree

You can't access 1Password data without the 1Password app. iCloud is only a method of syncing your data between multiple devices, you still need the 1Password app to access it. Have you ever used 1Password on an iOS device before?

• bree
    bree
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Nope, I've not used 1Password on an iOS device prior to trying now. I understood from the Agile Bits support pages/info that even though my iphone is not compatible to use with the app, I could get around the problem by syncing my 1password data to iCloud. I'm puzzled about that... but you are saying, I am sunk, then... right? I had hoped there was a way to access my 1password data on my iPhone. But it doesn't sound promising.

• bree
    bree
    Community Member
    Options

Is there some other way to access my 1password data on an older iPhone?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@bree

It's difficult. There are versions of 1Password that would work with your phone but Apple only allows downloading the most recent version of an app from the App Store unless an older version has been downloaded previously. Do you, per chance have access to a device that runs iOS 11? Perhaps an iPad or a family member's device?

• bree
    bree
    Community Member
    Options

No, I don't. (but if I do find one, how could it help?)

• bree
    bree
    Community Member
    Options

Is it possible for AgileBits to send me an old version of the app to put on my iPhone 4S? (Fingers crossed!)

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@bree

Unfortunately we can't. Apple does not allow developers to distribute apps for iOS outside of the App Store. I'm sorry, we don't have any say in that matter.

If you could get access to a device running iOS 11, you would be able to download the current 1Password. If you do that while logged in to the same Apple ID as your 4s, you will be able to download the earlier version on your 4s. There is little else we can do, I'm afraid.

• bree
    bree
    Community Member
    Options

Your strategy does sound promising. As soon as I can locate a device with iOS 11, I will give it a try. Thank you for all your information.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Happy to help @bree

I feel I have to mention that it is prudent to keep your software up to date at all times, especially mission-critical software such as security software like 1Password and your device operating system. This is because old versions of software are inherently less secure as they have stopped receiving important security updates. I understand that is not always possible as telling someone to buy a new phone to use more up to date software might not be viable, but it is something I do still need to bring up.

• bree
    bree
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I do appreciate your valid point. Someday soon, it will be time to get a new(er) iPhone & a more current iOS. (The 4s is no longer update-able.)

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Cool. Whenever you can manage it. It's just something I needed to mention. :)

• vol
    vol
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

If you could get access to a device running iOS 11, you would be able to download the current 1Password. If you do that while logged in > to the same Apple ID as your 4s, you will be able to download the earlier version on your 4s. There is little else we can do, I'm afraid.

I've tried it to no effect:

While I agree that you always should use the newest software with security fixes, my old iPhone will sit offline, powered off in the drawer up until the very moment I will loose all other devices and need some sort of a backup access to 1Password (and Authy App).

This way otherwise old and obsolete hardware can gain a new purpose: Being F2A authenticator/Apple Account authenticator/FindMyPhone panel, in case of emergencies.

• @vol

The best I could suggest would be to try following these instructions from Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201272

Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

• vol
    vol
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

It actually worked :O! From this menu you can download older versions even if regular app store is showing the popup above!

But here's another problem:

Can you confirm the authentification method changed between iOS 9 and current version, making it impossible to login on my.1password.com?

I've copy/pasted the master password so I'm 101% sure it was correct

• @vol

Yes, 1Password.com accounts require iOS 12.

System requirements for 1Password

You may be able to log in using the web interface at https://start.1password.com using Safari.

Ben

• vol
    vol
    Community Member
    Options

No luck there as well (not supported). Thanks for trying!

• Sorry about that @vol.

Thanks for trying!

You're very welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.