1 Password is still not staying unlocked, and I also have hierarchy issues with the interface.

Options
RobertAppleton
RobertAppleton
Community Member

I've used 1 Password professionally now for almost a year. I've made 2 or 3 requests to Customer Support to address and fix 3 issues and I have not received a response which solves the problems. They are listed below:

• I cannot find a way to have 1Password remain unlocked until I close down the computer (not the browser).
• I have not yet found a way to re-order my Vaults so that "Private"(which I do not use) does not come first. This forces me to scroll down and open the Vault with all my passwords in it even before I search for anything. And that takes a lot of repetitive work. Preferences should allow the setting of a series of conditions such as these I mention, under which individual users may then choose the way they work every day. "Keep all vaults unlocked until I shut down" would be one. "Arrange my vaults" - by dragging the most used vault to the top of a list and the least used to the bottom., would be another.
• The location of "Password Creator" seems to have changed many times recently. So "Show Password Creator in Interface" would be a third useful time-saver.

These 3 preferences alone would imho, save busy users a lot of time and frustration while they are trying to deal with other important things.

Your response would be much appreciated. Without it I may be forced to find a simpler solution to password security. There are a few.

Thank you,

Bob

1Password Version: 1.16.0
Extension Version: 7.3.6
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RobertAppleton: Please keep in mind that it can easily take longer to find a solution for you when you're sending us messages in multiple places, as that causes not only duplication of effort (for you and for us), but also can be confusing all around, without having the context all in one place. For instance, you're referring to some other conversations, but I don't see anything in our inbox under this email address, and there is no real hope of me finding you on another website by accident. :) So, going forward, please reply directly in this discussion, or, if you prefer email, send your message to support@1password.com with a link to this discussion, and let me know the Support ID you receive, so we can stay on the same page from this point on. Thanks!

I cannot find a way to have 1Password remain unlocked until I close down the computer (not the browser).

This is not a feature the 1Password desktop apps support, as would mean storing your Master Password (or equivalent) on disk for it to be persistent across reboots. That's not secure, and therefore not something we have plans to do. You will need to enter your Master Password to unlock it when you open it the first time after rebooting, or when it locks according to your settings in 1Password Preferences > Security.

I have not yet found a way to re-order my Vaults so that "Private"(which I do not use) does not come first. This forces me to scroll down and open the Vault with all my passwords in it even before I search for anything. And that takes a lot of repetitive work. Preferences should allow the setting of a series of conditions such as these I mention, under which individual users may then choose the way they work every day. "Keep all vaults unlocked until I shut down" would be one. "Arrange my vaults" - by dragging the most used vault to the top of a list and the least used to the bottom., would be another.

That's not a feature that 1Password has, but I will let the team know it's something you'd like. Perhaps we will add that in a future version. However, at present, you can change your settings in 1Password Preferences > Vaults to have it always open to a specific vault of your choosing, hide some vaults from the All Vaults view, and choose the default vault for saving new items (when you create one while in All Vaults).

The location of "Password Creator" seems to have changed many times recently. So "Show Password Creator in Interface" would be a third useful time-saver.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but if you are looking for the password generator, you will find the "+ Generate Password" button in 1Password mini, which can be opened by clicking the 1Password "keyhole" icon in the browser toolbar, the macOS menu bar, or pressing ⌘ ⌥ \:

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions! :)

• RobertAppleton
    RobertAppleton
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty said: "This is not a feature the 1Password desktop apps support, as would mean storing your Master Password (or equivalent) on disk for it to be persistent across reboots. That's not secure, and therefore not something we have plans to do." It may be that the problem (as I stated in my request) that the problem lies with 1Password preferences. In the Customer Support response I received from "Lars" on January 19th 2019 he laid out a way of setting the preferences: [https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/485202#Comment_485202]. This suggestion did not work. And so I'm writing again. As I say, your preferences need auditing and reviewing so they can solve problems such as this and the 2 others I mentioned. If there is a senior architect for the 1Password project, my message might best be directed to that person.

Regards,

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RobertAppleton,

I can't help with all the requests but I can at least explain some of the behaviour you're seeing with the requests for the Master Password.

At the moment you have both 1Password for Mac and 1Password X installed. The 1Password X extension is a standalone extension designed to add support to the likes of ChromeOS and Linux, platforms where we don't have a native client. As such it is a self-contained client, responsible for many of the same tasks that 1Password for Mac has to do such as synchronisation with our server and decrypting your data. As it only exists within the browser its entire state is lost when the browser is shut down.

As 1Password for Mac constantly runs in the background it can be set to remain unlocked based on its preferences which can be found in 1Password in 1Password 7 > Preferences... and then in the Security tab.

We are looking to having 1Password X communicate with the native client if present but until such a time it will require being unlocked separately and having to unlock if the browser is restarted.

We have a second extension, older than 1Password X and I tend to refer to it as the companion extension. It is basically a dumb bridge between the browser and the native client. It has no UI (User Interface) so no inline menu on the fields but as it has no concept of vaults or locked/unlocked it takes its cues from 1Password for Mac. So if the application is unlocked then it will be unlocked in any browser. You can find the companion extension on our "Downloads - 1Password" page alongside links for 1Password X.

While 1Password does not currently allow for reordering of vaults I wonder if adjusting the All Vaults view would not achieve roughly the desired outcome. It's a combined view of whatever vaults you want it to be and the preferences for this in 1Password for Mac are in the Vaults tab of the preferences. In both the main window and 1Password mini you can also use keyboard shortcuts for switching between vaults if that helps. ⌘0 is for All Vaults and ⌘1-9 are the individual vaults in the order they appear in 1Password for Mac.

Brenty's screenshot reflects 1Password mini from 1Password for Mac and would explain why you don't see something similar as 1Password X is a bit different and is still undergoing a number of changes as it evolves. I suspect you might prefer the companion extension given this.

• RobertAppleton
    RobertAppleton
    Community Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Thanks for this explanation of the situation regarding 1Password X. I didn't see these details in your announcement of 1Password X. And I wonder if others have been having this problem also. I work in 2 computational arts research labs at York University, Toronto while taking my PhD. And I appreciate your detailed response.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RobertAppleton - on behalf of littlebobbytables, you're quite welcome. Glad he was able to assist. :)

• RobertAppleton
    RobertAppleton
    Community Member
    Options

thanks lars!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

👍🙂

• RobertAppleton
    RobertAppleton
    Community Member
    Options

After your explanation and suggestions, 1Password is functioning much better for me now. Thanks

• I'm glad to hear that @RobertAppleton. On behalf of Lars and littlebobbytables you're most welcome.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.