Enhancement suggestion: quoted strings in the search box

Options
randian
randian
Community Member

Searching for "bank" (no quotes) gets a bunch of matches I don't want. "us bank", including quotes, matches nothing. Instead "us bank" (including quotes) should search for that entire string (not including quotes). Having whitespace in a quoted string match any amount of whitespace would be a nice addition too.

I also noticed, now that I looked at it, that "bank" (no quotes) matches a lot of records whose information does not contain the word "bank".

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @randian

Thanks for taking the time to write in with this suggestion. I'll be happy to pass the recommendation along to our development team for their consideration. :)

I also noticed, now that I looked at it, that "bank" (no quotes) matches a lot of records whose information does not contain the word "bank".

If you click on the magnifying glass in the search field... do you have search major fields or search all fields selected? Also: 1Password's search will do partial word matching such that a search for "ency" finds my Emergency Kit.

Ben

• randian
    randian
    Community Member
    Options

If you click on the magnifying glass in the search field... do you have search major fields or search all fields selected?

All fields. Nonetheless, none of the information I've entered into any field of the wrongly-matched records contains the word "bank", either as a full string or substring.

• If you click on the "View Saved Form Details" button do any of those fields have 'bank' in them?

Ben

• randian
    randian
    Community Member
    Options

If you click on the "View Saved Form Details" button do any of those fields have 'bank' in them?

No. 1Password seems to be matching field names as well as field values, which is unexpected. That means my credit union accounts, which have a default-named "issuing bank" field (as does anything in the Bank Accounts and Credit Cards categories), will be matched even though the value in that field is "XYZ Credit Union".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@randian:

That's right: if you set your search to "All Fields", it will also match field names in addition to field contents. You can go back to standard search to only search item titles if that's the behavior you prefer.

• randian
    randian
    Community Member
    Options

I don’t want to search field names, I want to search field contents only. Is there a setting I’m missing to enable that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@randian: As Ben mentioned above, searching "Major Fields" (as opposed to "All Fields") limits the scope:

Cheers! :)

• randian
    randian
    Community Member
    Options

Why would “major fields” change the matching from name+contents to just contents? That certainly is not what I’d expect an option named that would do. I’d expect that option would change only what fields get matched (major fields!), not how.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@randian:

What would you suggest the name to be?

• randian
    randian
    Community Member
    Options

What would you suggest the name to be?

I suggest you separate where from what. The choice of which fields to search (whether all fields, major fields, or even individually selected fields) should be independent of how they are searched (name+contents vs just contents or just name). Make the default for the latter configurable in the settings, which any search can override.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @randian!

This discussion has been closed.