Question about family plan structure

Corpus_Frisky
Corpus_Frisky
Community Member

We have four family members on a family plan. I am a bit unclear if I've structured things correctly. I am listed as the Family Organizer and the other three members of our family have accounts...let's call them sub-accounts. What I'm unclear on is if I should have a sub-account as well? In other words, should there be five accounts total, namely a Family Organizer (who would be me) as an overarching account holder, and then four sub-accounts beneath consisting of the other three family members and then me again? I guess if I did that I'd have two master passwords, one as the Family Organizer and then one for me as a member of the family. Is that the preferred way to set up a family plan or should I leave things as is?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Corpus_Frisky

I'd be happy to help clarify here.

We have four family members on a family plan. I am a bit unclear if I've structured things correctly. I am listed as the Family Organizer and the other three members of our family have accounts...let's call them sub-accounts. What I'm unclear on is if I should have a sub-account as well?

For all intents and purposes: you do. The fact that you are a family organizer doesn't make you any less a part of the family. Family organizer is a status that can be applied to any account, and we typically recommend having more than one if at all reasonable:

About family organizers in 1Password Families

For example if you have a spouse that you trust it may make sense to tag them as an organizer as well so they can help in the event that you forget your Master Password.

In other words, should there be five accounts total, namely a Family Organizer (who would be me) as an overarching account holder, and then four sub-accounts beneath consisting of the other three family members and then me again?

That would be a fairly atypical setup, and not something you would need to do without a fairly specific use-case for doing so.

I guess if I did that I'd have two master passwords, one as the Family Organizer and then one for me as a member of the family.

If you were to do that then you would, yes.

Is that the preferred way to set up a family plan or should I leave things as is?

Again unless there is a really specific reason for doing that it isn't something I'd typically recommend. :) Does that help?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.