When I installed 1P7 it generated a Master Password. Now it's rejecting it. HELP!

Options
ChristopherMason
ChristopherMason
Community Member

When I signed up for free trial of 1P7 yesterday it generated a Master Password. Now it's rejecting that Master Password. How can I access my account?!? VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:When I installed the app yesterday it generated a Master Password and now it's rejecting that Master Password. Help!!! How can I access my account??

Comments

• Hi @ChristopherMason

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. Are you able to sign in at https://my.1password.com/ using that Master Password?

Ben

• ChristopherMason
    ChristopherMason
    Community Member
    Options

No.

• @ChristopherMason

I see you also emailed us about this issue. To avoid duplicating efforts I'm going to close out that email ticket, and we can continue here.

No.

In that case I'd suggest deleting the account and setting one up fresh. You can delete the account by following the prompts here:

https://my.1password.com/support

Once deleted you can sign up for a new account here:

https://start.1password.com/sign-up/plan

Please be sure to print your Emergency Kit as part of the signup process, and write in your chosen Master Password on it. The Master Password must be at least 10 characters. Once you've signed up for the new account use the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data menu to clear out 1Password 7 to a fresh state. Sign in to the new account. Then, enable standalone vaults (1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts) and set up the Primary vault to sync with iCloud (1Password > Preferences > Sync). Migrate your data from iCloud to 1Password.com, and remove the Primary vault from your devices:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• ChristopherMason
    ChristopherMason
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Before I do that, perhaps I should mention that the 1Password7 app is currently open on my Mac desktop. It's open to to my 1Password account, showing my username, Secret Key, and next to password it says "Fantastic." I copied that long password and tried using it to sign into https://my.1password.com but it's rejecting it. Should I just go ahead and delete the account?

• Ah, that may be a bit different then. I didn't assume you could unlock 1Password for Mac. I should've asked. :) What happens if you try to fill that 1Password item on https://my.1password.com/signin?a=new ?

Ben

• ChristopherMason
    ChristopherMason
    Community Member
    Options

I've followed your instructions up to "Sign into the new account." Your next instruction is to "enable standalone vaults" by going to (1Password > Preferences > Advanced > BUT there is NO "Advanced" button visible!!! What should I do?

• @ChristopherMason

Here's what I see on my screen:

Could you post a screenshot showing what you see, if different?

▷ How to take a screenshot

Ben

• ChristopherMason
    ChristopherMason
    Community Member
    Options

When I try to drag a screenshot to this window it creates the following code: Are you able to view this image?

• ChristopherMason
    ChristopherMason
    Community Member
    Options

I clicked the arrows far right and found the Advanced button. I checked the Copy UUID and JSON, as shown in your screenshot, but the option to "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" is greyed out. What should I do next?

• ChristopherMason
    ChristopherMason
    Community Member
    Options

• ChristopherMason
    ChristopherMason
    Community Member
    Options

• @ChristopherMason

Did you do this step?

Once you've signed up for the new account use the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data menu to clear out 1Password 7 to a fresh state.

I ask as it appears you already have one or more standalone vaults added to the app, which is why the setting is currently enabled and cannot be disabled. If you've got your new account added to the app, and already have your iCloud vault added as well, you can skip that and move on to migrating the data from the iCloud vault to the new account.

Ben

• ChristopherMason
    ChristopherMason
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for you help, but I've found this experience of upgrading to the Trial version of 1Password7 EXTREMELY frustrating, unnecessarily complicated, and a horrifying waste of time.

I wanted to do this as a trial, as I explained earlier, but now it seems I'm signed up for auto billing. Does this mean I no longer have the option to cancel? Also, it's unclear how much or when I will be charged.

People are always asking me for recommendations for software, particularly password managers, and I really could not in good conscience recommend 1Password7, based on my terrible experience so far.

• Thanks for you help, but I've found this experience of upgrading to the Trial version of 1Password7 EXTREMELY frustrating, unnecessarily complicated, and a horrifying waste of time.

I do apologize. The transition is usually fairly seamless. I'm sorry that wasn't your experience.

I wanted to do this as a trial, as I explained earlier, but now it seems I'm signed up for auto billing. Does this mean I no longer have the option to cancel? Also, it's unclear how much or when I will be charged.

You can certainly cancel. We have a guide about how to manage your billing here:

Manage your 1Password subscription

You'd also be able to see which plan you're on and the associated cost using those instructions. The trial is generally 30 days from the day you sign up, barring any special circumstances like a promo.

People are always asking me for recommendations for software, particularly password managers, and I really could not in good conscience recommend 1Password7, based on my terrible experience so far.

I can certainly understand how having a frustrating experience can impact that. I'm confident that we'll be able to get this sorted out for you, and hope you'll reconsider your position once we have.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.