Trouble with auto generated passwords using 1Password X chrome plugin

I have recently switched to 1Password from LastPass and I am using 1Password X chrome extension.

I have trouble using password generator in 1Password X in regards to a couple of features that were easy to use in LastPass:

1. I could not find a way to copy the autogenerated password to clipboard. When i click on the password input, the 1Password pop-out appears below the input suggesting the generated password, but there is no option to copy it to clipboard. When I click on it, it is entered into the field and then another popup appears asking to save it in to the vault.

2. I could not find the way to change settings for auto generated password. I want it to be longer that it is currently generated and sometimes I need certain characters to be omitted form password (ex. Symbols and leave only numbers and letters).

Are the features I described available?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 1.16.1
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• gsd0919
    gsd0919
    Community Member

I'll add a third issue, related to your #1:

How do you confirm an autogenerated password when you are making a password change? In other words, when you need to enter the same new password in the confirmation box, how do you do that?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Toka! Thanks for getting in touch. For your first issue, the suggested password feature simply isn't made for copying generated passwords. It's specifically for filling a password into a field in your browser. If you need to copy a generated password for one reason or another, you can use the full-feature password generator located inside the 1Password X pop-up. Here's how to get there:

1. Click the 1Password X icon in your browser toolbar.
    2. Click the large + button.
    3. Click Password Generator at the top.

You can also use the keyboard shortcut Command - G to replace steps 2 and 3 if you'd prefer.

For the second issue, again, the inline suggested password is used specifically for filling a strong, random password that's there right when you need it. If you'd like to omit symbols or adjust a generated password, you can use the password generator which I explained how to find above.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@gsd0919 – To answer your question, 1Password X should ideally be filling both the password and the confirm password field for you. Is there a website where this isn't working as you'd expect?

Albeit rare, I've found a few sites where 1Password X doesn't fill both password fields. In that case, I just copy the password from the first field and paste it into the second. Granted, we'll want to know when this does happen so we can get it reported to our team and improve the overall filling experience.

• gsd0919
    gsd0919
    Community Member

I couldn't fill in both fields at a Chase website today, but I'll use your instructions to try again.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@gsd0919 – I see! I just went to update my password on Chase, and I noticed something similar. For this one, you can open the 1Password X pop-up by clicking the icon in your browser toolbar, then click the + button, then click Password Generator. From there, click on Generator History to view all passwords you've generated previously. You can copy the password from there and paste it into the additional password field. I went ahead and filed an issue for our developers as well. Thank you for getting this on our radar. :)

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#682

• gsd0919
    gsd0919
    Community Member

Thanks for the additional instructions. I'll try this.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@gsd0919 – No problem! Let me know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.