To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Why create a local vault is not possible with membership plan? [it is possible; not recommended]

Options
Yoskiz
Yoskiz
Community Member
edited September 2019 in Memberships

Hello,

I’m not against cost membership but I dont want use cloud for syncing my local vault.

Why is not possible with membership plan ?

I prefer use a standalone license for this reason.
Why your cloud is more secure vs other cloud (Apple iCloud for e.g.) ?

How you can shure one day your server will not hacked ?

Have a nice day and sorry for my bas English.
Yoann.

Comments

• Hi @Yoskiz

It is possible to use a standalone vault in conjunction with a membership, but it is not recommended. The primary reason for this is if you do so you'll have multiple Master Passwords you have to remember: one for your 1Password membership, and one for each standalone vault. This can cause confusion, especially because the password you use to unlock the 1Password apps that have a standalone vault may not be the same password you need to log in at https://my.1password.com/

As for the security of the service... I recently spoke about this in another thread, just below yours. You can read my response there:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/522247/#Comment_522247

How you can shure one day your server will not hacked ?

While we take every step to be sure that doesn't happen we've also designed the system so that the data you store in 1Password would not be compromised even if someone were able to steal the data from our servers. Part of the way in which we do this is through the Secret Key:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

Because of this, even if someone could steal everything from us, they would still need to obtain both your Master Password and your Secret Key in order to decrypt your data. Not that we would recommend doing so, but even if you use a relatively weak Master Password, the Secret Key would provide a fair level of protection. Because of this you are protected even from 1Password Team Members who have access to the servers. Even we cannot decrypt your data.

If you have any specific questions that are not answered please let me know.

Have a nice day and sorry for my bas English.

You as well. :) No need to apologize; your English is good. :+1:

Ben

• Yoskiz
    Yoskiz
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Ben,

Thank you for your answer, it’s clear.

Yoann.

• You are very welcome. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Yoskiz
    Yoskiz
    Community Member
    Options

Ok Ben, If I understand it’s more safe if I use your Cloud with the secret key.
    In France stand alone license is 56€ vs 43€ for membership plan. It’s more expensive for multiple years but if it’s more safe I’ll reconsider that.

What difference there are about security Apple Keychain ?
    You know how Apple do it ?

Regards.
    Yoann.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Yoskiz:

Apple Keychain does not use the Secret Key either, so storing your data 1Password.com is still safer from this point of view.

• Yoskiz
    Yoskiz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your answer ag_ana

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Yoskiz, you are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.