Feature Request: “Expiration Date” nootifications

melorama
melorama
Community Member

My wife reminded me that I need to check when I had to renew my driver's license by, because our new DMV bureaucracy is causing wait times of several months!

I have the expiration date of my license in my 1pw vault, so I was able to check this quickly, but as I did so, it dawned on me that it would be super helpful if 1PW could notify you of impending "expiration" dates that you've entered for vault items.

I can see how this might be an overreach of the intended purpose of 1PW, but in the case of expiration dates, it would make sense, because in many cases im sure 1PW is the only place where most of us has that information stored on our devices.

While you can certainly enter expiration dates in a calendar or “todo list” app, it would be a lot easier if the app in which all those dates are already centralized—1Password—could handle reminding you of those dates, since you’ve already entered them in the 1PW database.

Or perhaps another option would be if you enter an expiration date field in a 1PW item, that it would offer to add that date to your default system calendar (or any calendar of your choosing)?

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@melorama I believe this feature is already present in the MacOS version. Maybe someday. . .

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @melorama!

We already have this for credit card expiry dates, so perhaps we could indeed expand this to other categories (I believe that this is what @vplewis was suggesting). So thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day!

• melorama
    melorama
    Community Member

Interesting...I use both the macOS and IOS versions and have never seen an expiry date notification from either of those apps for credit card items. Is this such a new feature that none of my credit cards would have triggered a notification yet?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

@melorama: It was introduced in 1Password for Mac version 7 last year, yes, relatively new. Came up for me recently too. :)

• melorama
    melorama
    Community Member

@brenty Oh that...That's actually not what I'm referring to when I say "notifications". What I meant was that I would like 1PW to use the macOS and/or iOS notifications API to send notifications of upcoming expiration dates. The feature you showed is only useful if you open up that vault item, and in many cases, it would be too late to know that something has expired.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

Oh that...That's actually not what I'm referring to when I say "notifications". What I meant was that I would like 1PW to use the macOS and/or iOS notifications API to send notifications of upcoming expiration dates.

@melorama: Ah, thank you for clarifying! It's not something 1Password can do today, and I'd be wary of annoying people with notifications, but it's something we can consider for future versions. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

The feature you showed is only useful if you open up that vault item, and in many cases, it would be too late to know that something has expired.

That's not the case, or I'd have missed the ones for multiple real cards this summer. ;) The desktop apps will show the "Expiring" section of Watchtower for items with expiration dates within the next month -- plenty of time to make sure the bank is sending a new card, renew a membership, etc. But we'd also like to bring this and other new Watchtower features to the mobile app in the future as well. Cheers! :)

• markvanderhurk
    markvanderhurk
    Community Member

I would like to add something to that, regarding expiration.

We work with access to customer's systems. Systems where we are not in control of policies. Many of these systems use expiring passwords. Once we forget to change the password before expiry, we'll be simply locked out and need to request access again.

I would love to add an expiry date to a login item in 1Password, to prevent being locked out all the time. Of course, that would need to show up in the 'Expiring' section then!

• Thanks for sharing your use case for such a feature @markvanderhurk. I can certainly understand how that would be useful in some environments. I can't make any promises, other than to say it is something we'll consider for the future.

Ben

• markvanderhurk
    markvanderhurk
    Community Member

Thank you Ben!

• You are very welcome. :)

Ben

• Hi @AndrewParker

Thanks for taking the time to write in to share your perspective on this. We'll continue to evaluate how something like this might fit into 1Password. :)

Ben

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.