Will we support for Apple Watch unlocking?

skarchmit
skarchmit
Community Member

In Mac OS Catalina we have the option to double tap on the side button on the Apple Watch to do multiple things within MacOS. I'm not sure if Apple opened up this API, but it would be a nice feature to have.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @skarchmit,

Thanks for your request. Unfortunately, the API doesn't work in a way that would make it possible for us to use it the way we would need to.

• BeansCPA
    BeansCPA
    Community Member

I upgraded to a more powerful Mac min from a MBP with Touchbar. I lost my ability to unlock 1password using Touch ID. Do you have any suggestions how to quickly unlock 1password? Currently, I am manually opening Keychain, unlocking the Keychain password for 1password, then I copy and paste it. I'm hoping there is a better solution.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019

Welcome to the forum, @BeansCPA! I would not be comfortable keeping my Master Password for 1Password stored anywhere on my device, even in another encrypted program. The Master Password should "live" only in your own head, and you should not share it with anyone. For what it's worth, I don't just preach this; I have a MacBook Air for when I'm traveling which of course has Touch ID, but at home my main Mac is an iMac, which also lacks any kind of Touch ID or Face ID. And yes, I enter my Master Password multiple times each day, not just in the morning, but if I step away from the Mac even for lunch or anything else that takes me away for more than my timeout period. Is it somewhat inconvenient? I suppose -- but it's a lot less inconvenient than having to change all of my passwords for hundreds of sites including bank/investment accounts, were my 1Password data to be compromised. Obviously, your own risk tolerance and convenience must be what you use to determine what kind of security settings you'll set in 1Password > Preferences > Security (but also on your Mac more generally), but we can't recommend storing your Master Password anywhere on disk -- especially the same startup disk that has your actual 1Password app/data. Hope this helps.

• BeansCPA
    BeansCPA
    Community Member

Thank you. The master password is stored in iCloud Keychain so it’s not like it can ever get lost or corrupted. I can access it from any of my Apple devices. The password is random so very hard to memorize. I was hoping for an Apple Watch solution or something like that.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@BeansCPA:

As Lars wrote, we do not recommend storing the Master Password anywhere. If you find yours too difficult to remember, please consider using words instead of random characters: in addition to making it simpler to remember, it will also be simpler to type ;)

• BeansCPA
    BeansCPA
    Community Member

Ok, thanks for the tip! I'll simplify the master password! 🙂

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@BeansCPA, you are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• BeansCPA
    BeansCPA
    Community Member

Wait a sec... I went to go change my master password to a simple, easy to remember password instead of the random password I was using (thinking it was best for security) and, low-and-behold, 1Password says, "Remember: the longer and more random your password, the better!" So, less security, quicker login (your suggestion), more security, cumbersome login (1Password official suggestion, and my current situation). I was hoping for a solution that didn't sacrifice security. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for future improvements. For now, I will keep my cumbersome login, or if Safari improves enough, go back to Keychain only.

Thanks for the suggestions and help! I appreciate the input!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019

Words based passwords can be both long and random, but much easier to remember than character based passwords. For example:

NzMTqA7rn4wZ3eZFPFGh

is 20 characters long, and not very easy to remember (but very random).

dynast-sowbelly-populist-spotted

is 32 characters long, easier to remember (and type), and still random.

Ben

• ivaho
    ivaho
    Community Member

One of the things I really like in MacOS Catalina is that you can use the apple watch to authenticate instead of fingerprints in the os itself. Is it possible to add this to 1password? This would be very handy when your laptop is closed and the fingerprint sensor is not available.

-Ivar

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• @ivaho

1Password relies on encryption rather than authentication for your data. At this point, as far as we're aware, there is no secure way to store the encryption keys and access them using Apple Watch in the way we can do so for Touch ID.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.