Items removing themselves from the 2FA reminder list too soon

sbits
sbits
Community Member

Hi,

Sorry, not sure what would be a clearer way to title this.

In 1Password for Mac, there is a list of login items where 2FA is available but haven't been implemented.

I had some time today so I thought I would enable 2FA for a bunch of them.

After using the cute little 1Password window to scan a QR code in the ProtonMail webmail interface (well done with that adorable window btw), I was required to enter both the ProtonMail password and OTP to make sure the code was right, but because the login item immediately removed itself from 1Password's 2FA reminder list after I scanned the QR code, I had to go back to the All Items list (which contains hundreds of items) to hunt down that specific login in order to copy the password and OTP.

I know there is a search function, but like I said I wanted to 2FA a bunch of items, and I have multiple ProtonMail accounts for business / personal purposes, so I didn't even remember which account I was 2FA'ing, and it took a bit to find that account.

I'm not sure how many websites require us to enter the password and OTP for confirmation right after scanning the QR code, but I think it could save a lot of time (for all 1Password users collectively) if the items don't immediately remove themselves from the 2FA reminder list after a QR code is scanned.

Sorry again, I know that this post isn't very clear but I hope you understand what I mean.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sbits - I understood your meaning completely, you described it very well. You didn't say what version of 1Password for Mac you're using, but if it's the current one, 1Password should be copying 2FA values to the clipboard when you create them or try to sign in, because we know you'll need to paste it. Does that not happen for you? When you use the scanner to create/record a new 2FA item, do you not see the pop-up saying the 6-digit code was copied to your clipboard? You should -- and for 30 seconds (the timeout limit), you should be able to paste it back into the page in question, regardless of whether the item disappears from the 2FA list in Watchtower. Let me know if that's not the case for you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sbits - I'm honestly not sure what we can do to prevent that, given the way Watchtower categories are set up, but I'll definitely pass along your thoughts to our development team. Thanks for your patience. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sbits -- likewise! Thanks for taking the time to share you use case as well as your ideas. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sbits:

Thank you for the additional information :) I think what you are seeing is expected behavior: currently when you edit an item manually, entries are not copied to the clipboard, no matter what type of field it is.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sbits - yes, the system clipboard is vulnerable to all sorts of (benign and not-so-benign) capture. Everything from clipboard managers to OS assistants to any kind of malware can read the system clipboard, so we try to limit the instances in which data are copied there -- or leave that choice up to you, of whether you'd like to copy it across the system clipboard.

This discussion has been closed.