Where can I find the Browser extension for 1password 6 for Safari?

Yesterday 1password was working as usual, today the extension is gone from Safari and I seem to be taken hostage by 1Password 7 with a forced upgrade of who knows how much (impossible to find on the web site, al you talk about is the membership, of course).
Can I get the v6 browser extension back please?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• krusnof
    krusnof
    Community Member

Did you upgrade to 1PW7? Because if not, then try to reinstall 1PW6 again—it should come with Safari support built-in.
    Also, the membership is the pretty transparent part of pricing—different question if you like subscriptions or not.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @johank! I'm sorry for the trouble. You're not being "held hostage," but as this forum announcement explains Apple has retired the Safari Extensions Gallery ahead of the imminent release of macOS 10.15 ("Catalina") and Safari 13, and the extensions that were hosted there are no longer available. This means that 1Password 6 users will no longer be able to install the 1Password extension in Safari.

That said, we aren't aware of Safari 12 removing the 1Password extension. If that's what happened to you, it doesn't seem to be happening in all cases, since we'd expect to have seen a lot more reports if it were happening to everyone who has a 1Password extension installed from the Safari Extensions Gallery. However, regardless of how the extension was removed, it isn't possible to reinstall it in Safari 12, since the Safari Extensions Gallery is now closed.

You can find out more about your options in this support article, but essentially, if you want to continue to use Safari and 1Password together, you'll need to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac. Chrome and Firefox continue to work with their respective external 1Password extensions, but our recommendation is for users to keep all aspects of their critical security infrastructure - which includes macOS and their browser(s) as well as 1Password - as current as possible. Let us know if you have any questions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@krusnof - thanks for jumping in to help. I want to make sure we're being clear about one point:

...try to reinstall 1PW6 again—it should come with Safari support built-in.

Through the end of its development cycle, 1Password 6 for Mac did indeed support the Safari versions of its day. But Safari 12 requires the .safariextz style of extension (which 1Password 6 for Mac and previous versions use) to be downloaded and installed from the Safari Extensions Gallery...which is now closed. That means it's no longer possible to install the type of extension used by 1Password 6 for Mac; re-installing 1Password 6 for Mac won't solve the issue because the Safari extension cannot be downloaded.

Safari 12 and the upcoming Safari 13 use the newer Safari App Extension format, which provides numerous advantages and improvements, and 1Password 7 for Mac was built from the beginning to use the new format. As this blog post outlines, anyone planning to upgrade to macOS 10.15 ("Catalina") -- which will ship with Safari 13 -- will need to be using 1Password 7 for Mac to take advantage of all the goodies.

• johank
    johank
    Community Member

Well that sucks. It’s weird that Agilebits give no incentive to stay as a customer. Not even an update option for Faithfull (AppStore) customers. Now 1p7 is just one of many options for me. Is it worth the full price? I guess I’ll just have to compare with competitors.

• Hi @johank

Licenses for 1Password 7 are currently on sale when the app is downloaded through our website. Licenses are normally $65 USD + tax but as of writing are available for a limited time for $50 USD + tax. A membership may be more advantageous, both from a financial perspective and a utility perspective. If you'd like to discuss your options for upgrading to a membership I'd recommend reaching out to our team at sales@1password.com.

Thanks.

Ben

• johank
    johank
    Community Member

How can that be more advantageous? I’ll just pay the full price every 17:th month over and over again. I see why you would prefer that. $50 again then, plus new iOS apps I guess. What’s the tax then. Total price?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@johank: We have no idea. Literally. Tax depends on your billing address, and we don't know where you live or any of that. Only you would know tax rates for your area.

When you sign up for the trial and setup payment, the website will show you all of that on the invoice, which will not be charged until after the trial:

https://start.1password.com/billing

As far as advantageous, that depends entirely on a subjective assessment of your own personal situation. What Ben is saying is that most people find it more convenient and affordable to get all of the apps and updates without having to figure out purchasing multiple versions, doing so across multiple platforms. And automatic offsite backup for our important data in 1Password is beneficial to anyone, even if only a single platform is used, since otherwise you'd need to backup your own data, and it would be lost if your device(s) were lost, stolen, or destroyed. With a membership, you'd just need to sign into your account to get it back. But ultimately it's up to you.

• Greedy_Cheaters
    Greedy_Cheaters
    Community Member

That sucks. I have 2 family licenses for 1Password, bought at full price - windows and mac. Now Agilebits forces me to make a switch to subscription. No transition/upgrade offers, no communication. Just pay again for what we promised to be yours forever :).

No way I'll pay you again, greedy cheaters.

• @Greedy_Cheaters

We'd be happy to help with the transition. Please reach out to us at support@1password.com for further details. :)

Ben

• gweep
    gweep
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

I agree.... The backwards compatibility of this stinks. My daughter in college cracked the screen on her very recent MacBookPro and had Apple replace it. While they were at it Apple essentially coerced her to upgrade to Catalina / Safari 13. Now nothing works.

I have the entire family on 1Password 6.8 backed-up to Dropbox. That's 5 computers of different ages and operating systems. The least of which can't run High Sierra and can't get 1Password 7 or a 1Password account, so none of the computers are on 1PWD 7. I was able to delete 1PWD 7 from my daughter's Catalina machine and re-install 1Password 6 so her passwords sync with Dropbox and her iPhone again. But, and this is a huge but, Safari 13 won't run 1PWD 6. Fair enough she can use FireFox. However with a brand new macOS with a fresh FireFox will not install the 1PWD 6 extension because the installer keeps asking for her email address and password. I can only assume it is looking for her 1Password7/1Password account information... which she doesn't have.... And will not have until the entire family (all 5 computers) can upgrade simultaneously.

JUST SO YOU KNOW, MY 2012 12 core MacPro5,1 IS STILL ONE OF THE FASTEST HOME COMPUTERS AROUND. That includes our recent Mac Mini's and PowerBooks. It's still faster than many average new Macs and cheap windows machines. TELL ME WHY I AM GOING TO SPEND WELL OVER $10k to re-computer the entire family just so I can have the privilege of paying $60 a year for a family account on the 1Password server. I am quite happy managing our passwords on Dropbox.

BUY ME A NEW MacPro THAT WILL RUN CATALINA AND I AM IN! In the mean time I need a direct link to the 1PWD 6 installer for Firefox. I have the latest version of Firefox on all of my machines and they all run 1PWD 6. I need to make one more copy of Firefox 1PDW 6 compatible.

SO HOW ABOUT SOME HELP? I have a fleet to maintain....

(I've been using 1Password since version 3. I have never been disappointed with it until you introduced the mandatory subscription to use 1Password.) That is when things started breaking for me. We have to migrate the ENTIRE family of computers to 1PWD 7 all at once. You don't get to tell me 3 of my computers are obsolete. I can use Firefox so don't harp on Apple changing Safari, that does not cut the mustard. You could make 1PWD 7 work for Sierra. I can live without Safari.

Help me get 1PWD 6 working on Firefox 75 on a Catalina machine or get 1Password 7 to work on Sierra. If I can't have the entire family on the same version of 1Password; I'll have to switch. I'd hate to do that.

Mike

• gweep
    gweep
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

I just typed a lengthy comment.... It just disappeared. Saved and edited double checked.... Not even a draft remains.... I don't see a delete button.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gweep:

I have managed to recover the message for you :)

Fair enough she can use FireFox. However with a brand new macOS with a fresh FireFox will not install the 1PWD 6 extension because the installer keeps asking for her email address and password. I can only assume it is looking for her 1Password7/1Password account information... which she doesn't have.... And will not have until the entire family (all 5 computers) can upgrade simultaneously.

It sounds like you are trying to install the 1Password X browser extension, which is our latest extension that only 1Password subscribers have access to. If you don't have a 1Password account, please download the companion browser extension for Firefox instead. This will allow you to install and use the browser extension for Firefox :)

• gweep
    gweep
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

Thanks for recovering the post. I will have my daughter give the link a try. I'll let you know how it works out.

Am I correct in my understanding that once I migrate to 1Password 7; I must have a 1Password subscription and that using Dropbox as a primary vault location is no longer feasible?

Assuming I don't care about running Safari 13, (which won't run on my MacPro running Sierra any way). What is keeping 1Password 7 from working on my MacPro running Sierra? I have the latest version of Firefox running on all 5 of my family's computers. Won't it Firefox 75 accept the 1Password 7 browser extension on Sierra?

It is feasible to upgrade my MacPro5,1 as far as Mojave but it requires the purchase of a very expensive video card. Apple keeps upgrading things and breaking things with every OS upgrade. Many of which I depend on. I've been using Apple computers for 30 years. Initially it was an annoyance. Now it just aggravates me beyond belief, (to be polite). I am sure it rubs the developer community the wrong way as well.

I am a power user with a family that uses expensive Apple computers. We can't afford to upgrade every year... When we do upgrade the computer that is replaced becomes a hand-me-down upgrade for someone else.

I think the negative impact of all the "improvements and upgrades" is not given enough consideration; Apple is a billion dollar company after all. (Now Apple's Screen Sharing app no longer works between my daughters's Catalina Mac and any of my family's other Macs. This affects you because Screen Sharing is how I help my daughter manage her computer. It is also how she gets help with Calculus.)

Sorry for the rant but Apple's unnecessary upgrade of my daughter's MacBookPro to Catalina cost the both of us over 4 hours each today trying to undo all the stuff that Catalina has broken. (1Password 6 re-installed.) Her passwords sync with her iPhone and the family again but does not work with her browsers. After an additional hour on the phone with Apple I still can't screen share with her. To say we are frustrated by the mis-adventure is a huge understatement.

Apple is a Love-Hate relationship in the 21st century. It was so much easier pre Y2K...

Now If I could only upgrade to 1Password 7...

• gweep
    gweep
    Community Member

Since we can't roll back iPhone apps once they are installed.... Is there an upcoming version of 1Password for the iPhone11 (current iOS) that will kill support for 1Password 6? Hopefully it is a completely different app that will not delete the old one.

This is a big deal for us!!! Please feel our family's pain!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for recovering the post. I will have my daughter give the link a try. I'll let you know how it works out.

Sounds good :+1:

Am I correct in my understanding that once I migrate to 1Password 7; I must have a 1Password subscription and that using Dropbox as a primary vault location is no longer feasible?

No, you can also purchase a license for 1Password 7 if you prefer, and continue using Dropbox to sync your data. However, you would need one 1Password 7 license per family member, making it quite expensive, so a 1Password Families subscription will probably be a better option, since it includes 5 users.

Assuming I don't care about running Safari 13, (which won't run on my MacPro running Sierra any way). What is keeping 1Password 7 from working on my MacPro running Sierra? I have the latest version of Firefox running on all 5 of my family's computers. Won't it Firefox 75 accept the 1Password 7 browser extension on Sierra?

1Password is security software, so it benefits from the latest security updates in macOS. We also must develop for the latest version of Apple's operating system as we go along, we cannot look at operating systems that are quite old such as Sierra. 1Password 7 already works on Catalina, Mojave and High Sierra though, so we do our best to make it work even on older operating systems, but Sierra at this point is already several years old.

This does not mean that 1Password 7 won't work there, it just means that there is no guarantee, since this is not a configuration that we support. You are certainly free to test it however, there is nothing stopping you from downloading 1Password 7 and testing it on Sierra if you want to see how it behaves.

Since we can't roll back iPhone apps once they are installed.... Is there an upcoming version of 1Password for the iPhone11 (current iOS) that will kill support for 1Password 6? Hopefully it is a completely different app that will not delete the old one.

We don't have any plans about this at the moment, the iOS apps currently work with both 1Password 6 and 1Password 7, so you don't have to worry about this now. 1Password 7 on iOS was also a free upgrade for everyone, so it's likely that your 1Password app for iOS already updated to the latest version.

• kidsdoc
    kidsdoc
    Community Member

I had Safari 12.1.2 installed in Mojave and accidentally installed Safari 13 over it. I managed to downgrade to Safari 12 but of course I have now lost 1Password functionality, and apparently there is no way to reinstall the extension. For the time being I am using Firefox as a workaround. My question is this: before the extensions gallery was closed, one was able to install the 1Password extension. Where did it get placed? I am wondering if I can recover it from a backup. Please don't suggest I upgrade to 1Password 7. It offers no useful advantage to me as I have no plans to upgrade to Catalina any time soon.

• @kidsdoc

I believe they were stored in ~/Library/Safari/Extensions, though I'm not sure that dropping the .safariextz file in that folder is going to do anything of use.

Ben

• kidsdoc
    kidsdoc
    Community Member

How is it that the extension continued to work in Safari 12.1.2 long after the extensions gallery could no longer install it? Did it get internalized somewhere in the Safari application?

• My understanding is that once the extension is added to Safari it isn't re-verified until the next update. Since there hasn't been any updates, it has continued to work without additional verification. Adding a "new" extension may be a different story.

Ben

• jbearjk
    jbearjk
    Community Member

I agree with gweep. I feel like I'm being bullied by the big boys. Upgraded recently from High Sierra to Mojave (never Catalina). Now 1 password won't open anything; have to cut and paste from 1 password to login boxes. No way to download extension for safari. Also, can't find a simple price structure for membership or one-time purchase without the hassle of trial. Up until now you were nice friendly helpful, now the system is the system, sorry folks. Jack.

• Hi @jbearjk

1Password membership is the way forward and is $35.88 USD (plus tax if applicable) per year for an individual. 1Password Families membership provides slightly better value if you can find even one family member to share with. With any flavor of membership you get access to the latest versions of 1Password, which have support for the latest versions of Safari. Plus all the other great features of membership. :+1: It does come with a 30 day free trial by default, but if you don't want that for some reason, please reach out to our billing team and they can end the trial early.

Using 1Password 6 with Safari is no longer feasible, unfortunately. The Safari Extension Gallery is dead, and that is what 1Password 6 needed in order to install its extension.

Ben

• jbearjk
    jbearjk
    Community Member

Thank you, Ben, for this clear information. It seems to me the price should have been easy to find. Do family members need to be in same location? Jack.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jbearjk:

You can find all pricing information on our pricing page on our website :+1:

Do family members need to be in same location?

No, that is not necessary :)

• jbearjk
    jbearjk
    Community Member

Thank you. However, I went on your site last evening and still couldn't find pricing. I think your site is designed by marketing to get you to do the trial. But the first question your users ask when told they have to upgrade is "how much will it cost me." I suggest being more up front about it. Jack.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

@jbearjk:

But the first question your users ask when told they have to upgrade is "how much will it cost me." I suggest being more up front about it. Jack.

I am sorry, but I am not following: if you go on 1Password.com, the Pricing link is right there on the homepage, at the top of the page, together with all the other entries in the menu:

• jbearjk
    jbearjk
    Community Member

You are a genius and very nice. Pardon my poor eyesight. Jack.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

No worries at all @jbearjk! I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• tomhorvat
    tomhorvat
    Community Member

Now when Big Sur gets out and Safari enables extensions, will you port chrome/enable extension to Safari to work with 1P6?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2020

1Password 6 has been retired. There are no further development efforts going toward it:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/104999/1password-6-legacy-support-information#latest

Ben

This discussion has been closed.