Master Password Alternate for locked device

jshortjr
jshortjr
Community Member
edited September 2019 in Mac

I like having a long password for access to my 1Password web account but wonder if I can use a shorter one on my locked devices like my Mac?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302003) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS Catalina
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hello @jshortjr

Your Master Password is your Master Password. It's not just a password like it is with most websites but an integral part of the encryption that protects your 1Password data. Without it, there is no way to go from then blob of encrypted garbage to readable, useable data. So, no, there is no way to use a different Master Password on different devices. Quick unlock options such as fingerprint unlock do exist, but, of course, your device needs to support such features.

• jshortjr
    jshortjr
    Community Member

Thanks. It appears that the best option on the Mac is to disable the Idle Lock feature and rely on the Lock On Sleep or Lock When Screensaver is activated features. This, of course, presumes that one is comfortable with the security of the Mac.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@jshortjr If that's what you want to do, you may. Only you can decide what is the best level of compromise between security and convenience for you. I generally find that I'm actively using my computer often and consistently enough that the inactivity lock does not happen often enough for it to be a nuisance even with the default timer. But, of course, everyone has different preferences.

This discussion has been closed.