"Unlock 1Password to save this Login" TouchID Prompt Missing (Inconsistency)

Options
Dan_Aykroyd
Dan_Aykroyd
Community Member
edited September 2019 in Mac

Hi,

I've just installed 1Password to trial it before buying and I'm really liking the unified aesthetic so far between the different platforms, although I found a little nuisance right away, on my Mac OS Mojave, with TouchID unlocking enabled.

After a session locks, when login in to any website, I get the "Unlock 1Password to save this Login" message and it prompts me for the Master Password to unlock 1Password, instead of the TouchID prompt. It doesn't even give me the option to use TouchID. If, on that very same website, I try to autofill, I get the expected TouchID unlock prompt. It seems that that trigger of "unlocking to save login" isn't checking/using if the TouchID unlock is set up. By the way, this happens with any website; even happened with this very same forum when I created this account one minute ago :)

Lastly, this isn't related to the "periodically request Master Password" setting for TouchID. I just installed the client today and, as mentioned, for autofill (and any other action that requires unlocking), the TouchID prompt shows up.

Thanks in advance for looking into this; please let me know if you need further information to be able to fix it.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dan_Aykroyd: Likewise, thank you for bringing it up! We're looking into a reliable way to have 1Password trigger the macOS Touch ID prompt when it's locked during an autosave attempt. In the mean time, you can use Touch ID if you unlock 1Password prior to trying to save a new Login item. Thanks for giving 1Password a try, and let us know if you have any questions along the way. :)

ref: apple-3292

• Dan_Aykroyd
    Dan_Aykroyd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty, thanks for your reply.

What do you mean exactly with "In the mean time, you can use Touch ID if you unlock 1Password prior to trying to save a new Login item"? From what I know, with my little experience with the software, you mean to actively open the applications / trigger an autofill / etc. (something where TouchID prompt works correctly) before getting to the state where I would be receiving the message to unlock by the Master Password? I ask because maybe there is some other mechanism I'm missing; that you may be referring to.

Thanks again for your support.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dan_Aykroyd: Sure thing! Sorry for not being clearer. Currently the only instance where 1Password isn't able to trigger the Touch ID prompt to unlock (instead of the Master Password) is when the extension detects you've submitted login credentials into a webform and offers autosave as a result. So the other places you can unlock 1Password using Touch ID are:

From the main 1Password app window:

When you initially open that and 1Password is locked, it should automatically trigger Touch ID. But if you already had it open and didn't unlock, you can press Return in the Master Password field, or click the "fingerprint" icon to trigger Touch ID again.

From 1Password mini (keyboard, menu bar, or browser toolbar):

Clicking the 1Password "keyhole" icon in the macOS menu bar, the extension in the browser toolbar, or pressing ⌘ \ (fill) or ⌘ ⌥ \ (open) to bring up mini when locked will trigger Touch ID to unlock.

Perhaps also helpful, if you're already in mini (maybe to unlock, or check something) you can choose to save from there as well:

P.S: Not really related to this discussion, but I can't recommend ⌘ \ enough when you're at a login page for an account you've already saved in 1Password. :)

• Dan_Aykroyd
    Dan_Aykroyd
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty for the detailed explanation!

The inability to trigger the TouchID prompts for detected login information is something that can't be done, from a technical side, or something that can be fixed in the future; to unify it and make it work as the rest of the prompts?

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dan_Aykroyd: Unclear. It's something we're looking into. There may be a way, but even if there is we want to make sure that it's reliable before making changes. :)

• ulope
    ulope
    Community Member
    Options

This is really the most annoying UX problem in the otherwise great 1P experience. It has lead to me to many times not saving a website password in 1P (I also keep them in the Safari Keychain) because it's just too much bother typing that unwieldy master password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps it can be streamlined in the future.

This discussion has been closed.