Attempt to sync with a different vault than originally configured.

One password has become so confusing with so many versions that do not align across platforms. I have been using a standalone version on OSX and IOS for years. I have recently got a Windows 10 PC now and wanted to get up and running there too. I want this to be Standalone also as I do not trust anything web or cloud based.

I have 6.8.8 on my Mac / OSX. I believe this to be Standalone only.
I have what looks like 7.3.3 on OSX which I have as Standalone only. It looks like this supports both models?
I installed 4.6.2 on my Windows 10 PC which I believe to be the latest Standalone version and think I must avoid later?

So I am trying to WLAN sync my IOS to my windows 10. They are both aware of each other and share a common secret, however what I tell them to sync, I get an error as per the title: "Attempt to sync with a different vault than originally configured."

I would be grateful for any advice on how I can include Windows with my other platforms.

Also, I now notice that versions 4 and 6 and labeled as Legacy. Are you now planning to abandon your standalone customers?

Thanks.
Roger.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Roger_Standalone: Old versions of 1Password are always listed as "legacy" because they're no longer being developed. The new Windows app supports both local vaults and accounts, but does not have a WLAN Server feature. If you want to continue using WLAN Server to sync data, you can do that using an app that has that feature though. You'd not be able to sync between multiple computers with that anyway however, as it's always supported a single computer syncing with one or more mobile devices -- which is why you're getting that error: you're trying to sync the mobile device with a computer other than the one you paired it with. But I'd encourage you to check out the other sync options we've added in the last decade. They're much more reliable and convenient, and your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. And 1Password memberships offer additional security and convenience as well. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Roger_Standalone
    Roger_Standalone
    Community Member

What is the best way to sync two computers on a standalone version with no data leaving the LAN? Can this be achieved with the local folders option mentioned in https://support.1password.com/sync-options/ ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Roger_Standalone: You'd need to sync the data to a local folder on each computer, and then use something else to synchronize those between each other. Do not try to have 1Password sync to a network drive. That's a world of hurt and can easily lead to data loss. We don't get notified of network drive disconnects the way we do with local drives. It just fails.

• Boerny
    Boerny
    Community Member

@Roger_Standalone
    I'm in the same situation. Cloud services sync is not an option. Data has to stay on the local LAN.

For private use, I'm using a Synology NAS for fileservice.

There is a Drive app, which can be used as a cloud service, as well as a local sync option. Basically it's a very convenient way, to implement a versioned sync across devices.

Next I just do a local sync of the 1Password vault on the local file systems' folder, where the shared drive folder is synced, too. This works like a charm now for years. And it confirms @brenty that local file sync works and can be synced across devices locally.

However, it doesn't resolve the issue to sync to iOS devices. It's a shame that 1Password discontinued development of local syncs. The existing stuff works, but Cloud is not for everyone, and 1Password actually has a unique selling point here to support it! Sadly they don't use this advantage actively. Even cost wise they earn the same (standalone/cloud). But hey, it's just so trendy to be cloud these days …

I got too much burn from promises of "my cloud service is secure". Never going to use a cloud service again for critical data.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Boerny: Certainly you're not alone in doing that, and that's totally up to you. It's just not something I'd recommend because I've seen what can go wrong. Maintain a consistent backup strategy in case you ever need to recover, and you should be just fine.

As for iOS, it isn't feasible for 1Password to sync to a local folder there, as it works very differently than other platforms with regard to files. That's not something we've changed, or have control over.

On a final note:

I got too much burn from promises of "my cloud service is secure". Never going to use a cloud service again for critical data.

I hear you. Mine personal data is out there, and there's nothing I can do to put that genie back in the bottle. But that's because of companies that 1) collect sensitive information about us, 2) store it insecurely, and 3) fail to protect it. Because 1Password knows little about you (just enough to be able to provide service, which is probably less than you expect and definitely less than has become the norm), your data is encrypted locally (same as always, just like standalone), and the "keys" to decrypt it are never transmitted to us (only you ever have them), the sorts of things you and I may have had to endure with other services isn't even a possibility with 1Password. We simply don't have that information in the first place -- which, of course, is the best way to avoid it being stolen or misused. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.