Category Change

Options

Hi,

I am busy evaluating 1Password.

I have run into an issue that when importing 100's of entries they are all imported as one category and I am unable to change this later.

I searched the forum and I see that this requirement is something that has consistently been asked for since at least 2013.
Your reason for not providing it is quite technical and does not consider the real world examples of why this is a problem.
I am also a programmer so I "get" the reason (field mappings/conversion, jada jada jada) - but it's just an excuse. The issue is real and your ability and willingness to respond to real issues affects my desire to part with my cash to pay for your service.

Are you planning on fixing this, or are you resolved to simply not respond to user feedback (with more than a simple sorry mate, copy/paste it to a new item)?

KR,
Paul.

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win, IOS
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• This isn't something that's planned at the moment, @PHEY. We do understand the real world implications of this. 1Password is as integral to our workflow as it is to our customers and as someone who has a constantly evolving organizational structure for my data, I'd love this as much as anyone. It could happen one day, but we don't feel we could implement it in a manner we're happy with now. Given that, the only honest response to this feedback is "Sorry, it's not happening any time soon".

With that said, this sort of feature is often requested less a feature in itself and moreso as a workaround for other problems. Your issue is a great example of that. What you're seeing is an import issue and addressing that by asking you to swap the category of each and every item manually might be better than copying and pasting hundreds of items, but it's far cry from a fix to my mind. The fix is for these items to import properly and that's something we may well be able to take care of. Could you share the source of the data you're importing? Are you coming from another password manager? Got a text file or spreadsheet you've been using? I'd love to take a look at the root problem here of an improper import and see what we can do to address that. Indeed, swapping categories has utility beyond that and I don't mean to minimize that by shifting focus, but import we can maybe fix so seems a worthy place to focus efforts. 🙂

• PHEY
    PHEY
    Community Member
    Options

Importing from Keypass DB - so a CSV file.
    If can share the import options I can have a play...

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@PHEY,

Which version of KeePass are you using?

There's a keepass2 converter you can use if you can export as a KeePass 2 XML format. See the converter suite.

• PHEY
    PHEY
    Community Member
    Options

Latest.
    I’ll have a look, thanks.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@PHEY,

I asked about the version because users say "keepass" and that can mean keepass 1, keepass 2, keepassX, or keepassXC, and each supports different export formats.

For the most robust export/conversion experience, you want a version 2 XML export.

This discussion has been closed.