Mini / menu bar icon is not available unless the main app is open

Options
Dave_Ewald
Dave_Ewald
Community Member

This make the mini pretty useless… Since changing to the membership (currently in last days fo the trial period) the mini/menu bar icon isn't available unless I have also opened the main app.
Mac OS 10.14
1 Password is currently up to date

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.1 (70201002) AgileBits Sto
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: Mac OS 10.14
Sync Type: huh? it's the membership license

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dave_Ewald - I'm sorry for the trouble! Not 100% sure I know what you're referring to, however. If you mean that 1Password must be unlocked with your Master Password, then yes -- that behavior has remained unchanged for many versions. It's adjustable in the Preferences > Security settings, which allow you to tweak various parameters for when/under what conditions 1Password for Mac will lock itself.

If what you mean is that you can't see the mini at all unless you open the main 1Password app, then it sounds as if you need to enable it in Preferences > Browsers:

Please make sure the box marked "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" is checked.

• Dave_Ewald
    Dave_Ewald
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, so that is the fix… I think maybe I'm just confused by the description in the Extension Helper preference - it read like it is only referring to whether or not it's available in browsers (and not other applications). I am only looking to have it visible in the OS menu bar at all times. I don't really want it in my browser… so… is there a way to control these separately?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dave_Ewald - if you're a Chrome of Firefox user, you could simply not install the Chrome or Firefox extension. But if you're on macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) and using Safari 12 and version 7.2 or higher of 1Password for Mac, then the browser extension is built into the app, and is installed when you install 1Password. You can turn it off in Safari Preferences > Extensions, but you can't remove it entirely without removing 1Password 7 for Mac.

I have to ask, though, what are you trying to achieve? Why do you want the mini available in your Mac's menubar, but not the ability to fill in your Login items into your browser(s)?

• Dave_Ewald
    Dave_Ewald
    Community Member
    Options

The mini is quicker and easier to access than the main app. and was more-so in V6…  To be honest, the older version was better (smaller, quicker, although there were oddities that have been changed for the better with the new version.

In regards to the browser… Remember that not all passwords get entered into a browser. And having the extensions installed is more visual clutter than I need or want. I also see too much integration as a reduction in security, and the convenience doesn't offset that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dave_Ewald - the security aspect is quite well-handled, but if you've already investigated it and found that that, plus the "visual clutter" aspect are more important to you than being able to fill in your data automatically, you're certainly welcome to do so. Just make sure you keep that checkbox checked. Cheers! :)

• macronaut
    macronaut
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with @Dave_Ewald, since I have the same usability requirement. The mini app is a shortcut to access the main app's data without opening the app. This is idiomatic of macOS and here 1Password is breaking that idiom.

1. The description in the 1Password's preferences is incorrect and misleading.
    2. There is no reason for the extension and mini app to be coupled together like this.
    3. Since I don't have the 1Password extension enabled in Safari, I get a nagging notification asking me to enable the extension which further degrades the user experience. This was not an issue in the previous version of 1Password.

At the very least update the description in the preferences to be clear that extension is requried for the mini app/menulet to be available. It would also be great to no nag the user with a notification to turn on the extension, because by the app needs to accept that the user knows what they are doing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The description in the 1Password's preferences is incorrect and misleading.

How would you suggest we word it? Happy to consider your proposal.

There is no reason for the extension and mini app to be coupled together like this.

It's a single app, so that doesn't even make sense.

Since I don't have the 1Password extension enabled in Safari, I get a nagging notification asking me to enable the extension which further degrades the user experience. This was not an issue in the previous version of 1Password.

Not enabling the Safari App Extension, which is part of the 1Password app, is what's "degrading" your experience. You can enable it and simply not use it. But it's much safer to have 1Password save and fill login credentials for you, since copying and pasting exposes that information to anything running. It's your call, but food for thought.

At the end of the day though, we're not going to design 1Password around someone not using it the way it's intended, and the way that the vast majority of people use it. Our focus is going to be making browser integration the best it can be because nearly everyone uses that, and many use that exclusively.

• efudd
    efudd
    Community Member
    Options

I agree completely with macronaut. I just switched to 1Password 7 and find this change highly irritating. How to change your description? Make the wording not just refer to use in safari and other browsers, since the box also affects those NOT using the extension. If I have to check a box to enable use as an extension, just to get the mini app, even though I have no intention of using the extension, that is misleading. I have read enough security articles to be paranoid about using the extension despite arguments to the contrary from Agilebits employees. But now if I check your box so my mini app shows up without launching the app, i get that nag screen, which blocks out my favourites list in the mini app menu unless I type something in the search bar. This did not happen in the previous version. The mini app worked well for those of us not using the Safari extension. This is an easy fix for you guys. If one checks the box to have the mini app running, have it running all the time after login. When they access this menu, please no nag screen, just straight to my favourites list. See 1Password 6. Thanks.

• efudd
    efudd
    Community Member
    Options

Oh man, it is worse than I thought. Even without the box checked, if I'm selecting Safari and then go to the pulldown menu, i always get the nag screen until i type in the search window, but this means I never get to see my favourites list like before. Please fix this. I don't want to search, i want to jump right to my favourite. You've removed the shortcut menu and favourites list for anybody who doesn't want to use extensions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@efudd - thanks for weighing in. We definitely made some changes in 1Password 7 for Mac, and a lot of them were centered around use of the mini. The users in this thread seem very proficient in advanced settings for various aspects of using their Macs, and that's great -- but most of our users don't fall into this category. The "nag screen," as you put it, exists to inform users that the reason they aren't able to use the mini to fill information into their browser has to do with the fact that they don't have the 1Password extension activated there.

...this means I never get to see my favourites list like before. Please fix this. I don't want to search, i want to jump right to my favourite. You've removed the shortcut menu and favourites list for anybody who doesn't want to use extensions.

That's correct. This was a conscious choice on our part, because there are far fewer users like yourself who intentionally do not use the browser extension, but still want to use the mini to open website login pages then fill data manually, than there are users who expect to use the mini to fill in data into their browser. The main function of 1Password mini is for filling and saving data; it was never conceived of as a bookmarks manager to be used for launching Login pages but NOT filling them, and the design assumption we used for 1Password 7 for Mac is that people will be using the mini in concert with the associated browser extension (especially in Safari, where the extension is now built into the main app instead of a separate download that you must choose to install yourself) to fill Login and password data into sign-in pages. You're certainly welcome to use it as you're currently doing, but we aren't designing this specific feature with that use case foremost in mind.

Here's the reasoning: less-sophisticated users who are expecting to use the mini with the extension, if they don't have the extension installed or active, may not think to check whether they have it installed/active in their browser's Preferences -- so a simple message to that effect saves them time, confusion and potentially a wait while they try to contact us via email or these forums to resolve a problem that could have been addressed with a simple notification. The much smaller number of more-sophisticated users like yourself, who have already determined you want to use the mini to launch Login pages but don't want to use the provided browser extension (and have already figured out that if you type the first few characters of what you're looking for into the mini's search bar, you can use the mini without the extension just as you always have) don't need such reminders. In fact, you'd already figured out how to continue to launch items from the mini without the extension installed before you even contacted us.

I do sympathize with what feels like a step backwards for you, having to type in a couple of characters to do what you could do previously with a favorites list, and I'd be happy to entertain any suggestions you might have on the subject that you think would help you. Meantime, I have a suggestion for you, which is: the main 1Password app still functions in the way you had been using the mini for previously: you can set the view there to a single vault or all vaults, view the Favorites category, and launch directly from there with a simple double-click of any item. Hope that's helpful! :)

• efudd
    efudd
    Community Member
    Options

Thank-you for your thorough response. Typing the first few characters in the mini is not the way things were before, because I have to type in the correct search term to find what I need, I can't browse my favourites directly. The hits that appear are a result of my search, not my Favourites list, which is what appeared automatically before. I understand why you put up the nag screen to help. Makes sense. But, why not make it something that can be disabled with a "do not remind me again" check box? Or make it a preferences setting for advanced users. Yes, I can use the main app, but it was awesome to just go to the top menu, much more efficient. My daughter prefers the same thing on her small laptop screen, she doesn't want the main app open. this mIt's not that I can't functionally get by, it's an efficiency thing.

I have loved 1Password for a long time, an early adopter. Most upgrades have made me happier and as an engineer myself, I have been impressed with the work your team produces and your customer interaction. From a functional point of view this was the only step back from my perspective. The other very major, nearly showstopper, issue for me was the new subscription model, which is beyond my budget to commit to one software program on my computer. I got by this time with your unadvertised single license (that i nearly missed - this is frustrating), but I'm nervous you won't continue to support that approach or will require payment again too early. 1Password can't cost nearly what my video streaming services cost (comparing with 1password family package in Canadian dollars).

Again, I appreciate your attention.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@efudd - likewise, thanks for the thoughtful discussion. I'll certainly mention your use-case and ideas to the dev team over here, and anything's possible. If we hear enough support for it, we may add it as a user-selectable preference/checkbox. We tend to set a pretty high bar for adding more toggles/checkboxes/preferences, because it has the effect of making 1Password feel much heavier and more complicated to use for most people, but you never know.

I don't set the release dates or how much will be charge for new versions around here, but we've historically been pretty generous with upgrades. Version 4 for Mac was a paid upgrade, but we "grandfathered" nearly a year's worth of previous version 3 users, and both version 5 and 6 were free, full-version upgrades for holders of version 4 licenses. Obviously, that's not any kind of promise or even prediction about what will happen in the future, but we do try to take care of our users - especially long-time folks like yourself. I'm a bit surprised, however: not sure what it's like in Canada, but down here in the states, the good streaming video services aren't even close to the cost of a 1Password membership; they're much more expensive. An individual 1Password account is $2.99USD/mo when paid annually (works out to $35.88/yr), and a 1Password Families account that allows for up to five people to install and use 1Password on as many devices across all four major platforms as they own/use, is $4.99/mo. HBO, Netflix, these are all considerably more -- at least here. However, it's up to us to demonstrate value received for price paid, and we understand that. "Value" is subjective from person to person, but we hope to keep you as a user for many years to come. Cheers! :)

• efudd
    efudd
    Community Member
    Options

Netflix has a basic SD package for $9.99/month, HD for $13.99. Disney is going to start up their streaming service in Canada shortly for $8.99/month. Family 1password in Canada is $6/month. It is just a password program, so shouldn't be anywhere near that close to a streaming service from Disney. I'm currently upset with Adobe too because they dropped their single license for Lightroom and I'll have to start paying $9.99/month US for that package, including Photoshop (don't need it). Most folks don't use such software that much, but if every package on my computer demands that sort of money I'm in trouble. Simply can't afford it. And I've noticed that your otherwise stellar ratings on itunes have been hit hard by folks with the same complaint. I understand you have to make money on this, but I'm thinking you will need to compromise and provide folks with a better advertised non-subscription option or risk losing people to open source solutions. Many folks reading your online ratings will read the number of stars and move on, they won't dig to see if it is because of cost or technical issues. Technically, your product is awesome, so i hope that this hard fought success isn't squandered by poor pricing models. But, we digress. That isn't the point of this discussion. Thanks again for your quick responses. I hope they can squeak in a fix for that nag screen.

• efudd
    efudd
    Community Member
    Options

PS: I have a colleague who has been using open source password programs for years and has been taking notice of my 1password experience. I think he was almost ready to switch, but then heard about the subscription service. There is no way he would make the leap then.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@efudd: 3$US per month for an individual 1Password membership isn't a lot -- less than almost anything you can buy at Starbucks -- but it offers you a way to easily securely store important information, in many cases conveniently fill it, access it across all your devices, and an automatic offsite backup for the data, so you just need to sign into your account on a new device, even if all others are lost, stolen, or destroyed. (It's also how we're available in discussions like this one, via email, or social media.) But you make a good point as far as comparison: 1Password is substantially cheaper than all of those, but ultimately it comes down to what you value. Personally, I have no use at all for Adobe's software these days, though it's well-regarded and absolutely essential for many people; it's just not something I use, because I'm not a creative professional. But, at the same time, while I don't need to do photo/video editing, etc. on a daily basis, anyone on the Internet has a use for a password manager. A good password is the first line of defense in online security, but no one can remember them all or simply use (and reuse) bad ones. 1Password helps people use long, strong, unique passwords for each site, and secure them along with other important information you want to keep safe and sound. But you're right: whether or not that's something someone wants to prioritize spending money on over other things is a very personal decision. Thanks again for sharing your perspective! :)

• efudd
    efudd
    Community Member
    Options

Um, now a couple days later I'm getting a new popup in the top right on my Mac reminding me to set up Safari for 1Password. Please tell me this won't keep happening indefinitely. This is separate from the nag message in the pulldown menu.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@efudd: Yes, 1Password will tell you if the Safari App Extension is not enabled. Installing it is not optional because that's how Safari works now. But you do not need to use it. The 1Password desktop extensions do not store data in the browser at all; it's sent to them only on demand, if you request it, say to fill login credentials for a website.

• efudd
    efudd
    Community Member
    Options

I'll respond to your previous response as well. As far as convincing me of the value of a password program, you are preaching to the choir. I wouldn't live without one. But I would respectfully suggest you step out of the halls of your company and communicate with regular non-technical folks on this. Even without discussing cost at all, when I try to convince non-technical friends of the merits of password protection, I get glazed looks. Until a person is hacked, they need a LOT of convincing. If you add a high price to that discussion, you've lost the argument before you start. It may not be fair, but that's reality. And my technical friends are typically looking for the cheapest solutions, so they'll go for the password program, but use a free one instead (though, as mentioned, I almost had a friend convinced until you changed to subscription). Comparing your new price structure to a Starbucks is a poor argument, simply because we all have many many expenses in our lives and at some point adding another few dollars a month pushes you over the edge (that and I hate coffee and could never justify spending so much for a drink ... :) ). Conversely, as I've been doing to cover tight expenses with 4 children, if I can go through my budget and remove a number of these small expenses, it adds up quickly and is real money! For the work and support you guys do, I had no issue with a price increase. I expected it. As mentioned, you were generous with how long my previous paid version lasted. The issue is you made much too big a leap. It means every 5 years I'm paying you $350, which could buy a much needed ipad for my son for 5 years of high school. IMHO, you should have stuck with the single use license, but increased the price in a reasonable manner. That or drop the subscription price, but even if the subscription price amounted to the same as as single license every few years, there is something inherently off-putting when people find out they are going to pay a software company monthly, forever. I've marvelled at how so many software companies are moving this direction and don't grasp this. The more companies that join in, the more swamped people are going to feel, seeing a long list of monthly charges on their credit card. I think it will push even more people toward piracy, which is sad. I'm an engineer, i support all of us getting paid for our work. But, if I'm wrong and everybody else sees your argument, then ignore me and enjoy the profits. I am not just making these comments to improve my situation, I'm trying to help, because I'm worried you guys may have made a mistake and are damaging an impressive success story. I hated to see the ratings drop on itunes because of this. Your product is technically superior to the competition and I have no complaints except the one that started this discussion. Food for thought ....

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@efudd - thanks for the continued conversation.

...when I try to convince non-technical friends of the merits of password protection, I get glazed looks. Until a person is hacked, they need a LOT of convincing. If you add a high price to that discussion, you've lost the argument before you start. It may not be fair, but that's reality. And my technical friends are typically looking for the cheapest solutions, so they'll go for the password program, but use a free one instead.

And that's fine. We're well aware of the competitive environment in which we have operated for more than thirteen years. If anything, the competition has ramped up over time, and it definitely helps keep us on our toes! Heck, as you say, there are options available out there that are completely free of monetary cost to the end-user, so it's definitely incumbent upon us to make sure we demonstrate value for price paid. I'd suggest the fact that we're one of the major players in the password management space should serve as evidence that a good number of people agree that we do demonstrate that value -- but we're definitely aware we're not the only game in town, and that no single solution or product is going to suit everyone. That's why there are options out there. And as long as people aren't using sticky notes on their monitors or re-using the same two or three weak-ish-but-memorable passwords for all their accounts, we'll be happy -- even if they're not our customers.

We're OK with our price-point; the main reason for the cost of 1Password is that we have no "secondary revenue streams." We don't - and won't - run ads or sell what we know about you to outside "trusted partners." We've never taken a dime of venture capital money, and we've actively resisted buyout offers from deep-pocketed corporate parent companies looking to add a password manager to their "roster." We always preferred to grow slowly and organically by directly selling 1Password to end users who can evaluate for themselves whether it is worth it. So the up-front cost of 1Password represents the ONLY way this company sustains itself - and that's why the end-user price falls on the higher end of some other options. Gmail and Facebook are completely without cost to the end user, but would anyone argue they're actually free? What we've found is that many of our users feel much better knowing that when it comes to the company to whose product they entrust their most-valuable data, we're not trying to figure out ways to monetize their information and we answer ONLY to our own vision of what makes a good password manager -- and to you, our user community.

I won't argue with you about whether 1Password is worth it for you, in your current situation, partly because that would be presumptuous of me and partly because "worth it" is a subjective assessment anyway. I'll only repeat that 1Password is priced sustainably so we can continue to offer a best-in-class product and the support that goes with it. We're glad you've enjoyed your experience up to this point, and we hope to continue to have you as a user for many years. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and your concern with us, and I hope I've explained some of our thinking and our approach :)

This discussion has been closed.